5.0 out of 5 stars Great Multiregion Blu-ray / DVD Player
Published 17 months ago by Joe

2.0 out of 5 stars newer firmware woes
received one with newer firmware of 1608.. and the code 8502 does not work to bring up the region settings as so many before claim that work. Some apparently come with a disc that pops up this menu to allow region settings but one i received did not and ended up returning for a hardware modified bluray player on another website...
Published 7 months ago by David Garcia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Multiregion Blu-ray / DVD Player, July 25, 2013
Joe (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OREI BDP-M2 3D Blu Ray Player - HDMI/RCA Composite/Component Ouput - Dual Voltage (Electronics)
One issue I ran into after purchase was figuring out how to play different region blu-ray discs as this isn't something that works after plugging it in. After a lot of research I found out you have to switch it manually which isn't that big of a deal and works flawlessly after that. For those of you who are looking for this exact solution you've found the right review.

DVD Regions are set to Automatic and will play any region out of the box with no changes needed.

Blu-ray Zone selection can be activated by using the Remote Control. Please follow the instructions below:

1. Switch on the blu-ray player without any disc inside
2. Press Home button on the remote control to go to the Setup Menu
3. Press 8, 5, 2, 0 On the Remote Control
4. Factory Page will appear on the screen with DVD Region code and Blu-ray region code option
5. Highlight BD Region code to specify your Blu-ray region:
a. Zone A: Press 1 on the remote control
b. Zone B: Press 2 on the remote control
c. Zone C: Press 3 on the remote control
6. Press Home button to exit out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only some minor flaws, June 5, 2013
Pros:

Region Free, and very easy to switch regions. I bought this player so that I could watch Masters of Cinema region B Blu rays.

Fast! Bootup, tray open/close, disc reading, chapter skipping... you name it, this player beats my Panasonic, which was advertised as a "quick bootup" player.

Small, solid construction.

Cons:

Noise - Bootup is louder than my Panasonic. When playing a disc there is sometimes a little noise, sort of like a high pitched ticking. This only becomes an issue if you want to listen at low volumes.

Few settings. Maybe this is a good thing because there is less to fiddle with. The audio and video quality is indistinguishable from my old player after a little tinkering. Do not change the setting to "Cinema" from "Standard" if your TV is already in Cinema/THX mode. Everything becomes a dark muddy mess. You have to adjust the settings for each region. If you change the settings when the player is set to, say, Region A, these changes will not carry over when you switch to Region B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Multi Region Blu Ray Player!!!!, March 24, 2013
David N. (Sunny California) - See all my reviews
The Orei BDP-M2 is an excellent multi region Blu Ray player at a good price. This Blu-Ray player doesn't have the online features such as streaming video apps like those of other players, but I believe most will be purchasing this for the multi region capabilities. Out of the box, the BDP-M2 will play regular DVD's from any region. I tried a DVD I bought in Europe several years ago and it played fine. For Blu-Ray's and 3D Blu-Ray's, you have to enter a code to get to the factory settings menu. Under the factory settings menu, you have the option to select from Blu-Ray region Zone A, B, or C. I selected Zone B so I could play Blu-Ray's I have purchased from Europe. The whole process takes under a minute.

The main reason I bought this was for playing Blu-Ray discs I've purchased from Europe that aren't available here in the States. I tested out the German Blu-Ray release of the documentary Wild Russia. It played flawlessly. I also tested out the 3D Blu-Ray A Turtle's Tale (Sammy's Adventures) and it too played fine. For testing purposes, I switched the Blu-Ray region back to Zone A so I could try out North American region locked discs. Every one of the 20 or so Blu-Ray/3D Blu-Ray discs I tried played fine. Every disc loaded fast as well.

Overall, if you are in the market for a multi region Blu-Ray player at a good price, look no further. I highly recommend the Orei BDP-M2.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for the money-ISSUES, August 3, 2013
if you want basic equipment to just play the movies, it' perfect.
damn near featureless... that's ok by me. Good sound, no lag, sharp image and fat. a bit quirky and fuuny on shutdown sometimes... and FAST.

UPDATE

it freezes on shutdown... you need to UNPLUG IT for that.. happens A LOT.
VERY LIMITED 3D Only half the movies have worked.
If you pause and screensaver is up, you can't go back many times... another kind of freeze.
NO MENUS

5.0 out of 5 stars Multiregion 3D Bluray Player at a great price, January 20, 2013
As of Jan 2013 if you want a multiregion 3D Bluray player this is by far the best price on the net. If you want to play non USA regions, you MUST pay attention to the extra instruction sheet which tells you what the manual does not-how to change to region B or C, even though the player is only marked for region A on the back. Got it working in with a region B 3D bluray in 5 minutes. Immediate response from Seller Bombay Electronics also. Of course if you want all the bells and whistles of the latest players you won't find it here but if you just want multiregion 3D bluray at under half the price this is the ticket.

2.0 out of 5 stars newer firmware woes, May 16, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars NOPE (updated 11/6/14), December 23, 2013
I've had it for a month and all's well so far. Plays any region DVD out of the box, and instructions to set it up for any region Blu-Ray are literally right there on a piece of paper when you open up the box. Easy peasy. I like the USB port - I can hook up my external hard drive and play audio/video files from it. It's true that the machine sounds a little clunky and can be slow to respond whether by remote or buttons on the unit itself, but I've had off-brand machines like this before and they hold up just fine. I'll update my review if something happens with this one, but for now I'm a happy camper.

UPDATE 8/19/14 - The player has started freezing up on shutdown. I have to unplug it/replug it for it to function again. It doesn't happen every time, but I feel like I shouldn't already be having this problem with a player that's less than a year old and used twice/three times a week at most. Also noticing some audio sync issues with BD that I didn't have at first. Stopping/restarting the disc fixes the problem, but still. Downgraded rating from 4 stars to 3. We'll see...

UPDATE 11/6/14 - The player now freezes on shutdown with every Region 1 Blu-Ray I own, every time. This may have actually been an issue from day one, but I only recently started using the machine to play R1 BDs, so I can't say for sure. Either way, it's incredibly inconvenient to have to unplug the machine every time I want to use it. I tried contacting Orei for some more recent firmware, but got no response (and all of their DVD players are suspiciously missing from their website). I won't be wasting my time with this brand again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those without an HDMI TV or projector, May 12, 2014
I bought this to watch Blu-Ray movies with my older Epson projector that does not have an HDMI input. Most of the newer Blu-Ray players only have an HDMI output, so this was a perfect solution. I have a cable with component video connectors on one end, and a VGA connector on the other end. It works great! It's also nice to be able to watch DVDs from Europe that are PAL or a different region code. It seems to work with everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orei- BDP-M2 Region Free Blu-Ray 3D Player, December 24, 2012
Works great in Regions 1 and 2, also Blu-Ray. Don't have a 3D TV, so haven't tried 3D performance. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, December 20, 2012
pdr1365 (Kilconquhar, UK) - See all my reviews
We have DVDs from three different regions having lived in Malaysia, UK and now USA and as we will be returning to UK needed a device that could cope with 110-240V. Havne't tested the variable voltage but the device is easy to use and plays all of our DVDs and Blue-Rays which saves a lot of hassle of swapping in and out various other devices like xBox and UK laptop to play discs.

Easy connectivity and great quality images.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›