5.0 out of 5 stars Solar powered fun!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:48 Mins
This little guy is so fun. :) I home school my children, and we used him during our solar power science unit. As you can tell from the laughter of my little ones, he was a hit!

Published on April 11, 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly happy...
Published on December 8, 2010 by Chris O

5.0 out of 5 stars Solar powered fun!, April 11, 2009
This review is from: OWI - Frightened Grasshopper Kit - Solar Powered - OWI-MSK670 (Toy)
Length:: 0:48 Mins

He works great in full sun, not much in clouds, and works okay under a 100W light bulb. It's a great tool to show your kids how solar cells work. My kids loved making a shadow over him to make him stop wiggling.

I agree with other reviewers that the instructions are a bit confusing and I don't think a child could do it alone. But, he is surprisingly durable for being so little.

You can see what he does in the video. I highly recommend him!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but has hard-to-follow instructions, July 27, 2008
This is a great toy and a lot of fun! However, the included assembly instructions were very unclear and there were some steps where we were afraid to go on for fear of breaking it. I can't believe that somebody under 8 would be able to put this together without quite a bit of help. Once it is put together, though, the grasshopper shivers and is actually pretty cute.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly happy..., December 8, 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Lately, my son has been showing an interest in electronics...particularly in building things for himself. Now, the description on this toy says it's a "build it yourself" kit but unless simply taking something out of its packaging is considered "building," then the product description is inaccurate at best. Like others have said, the thing comes fully assembled and therefore won't fulfill the reason I bought it in the first place. We'll take it apart and put it back together again if we can, but that's not really how this was supposed to go. Puzzlingly, others here have reported that they did indeed get a kit, so I guess it's a crap shoot as to which version of this you'll get.

If I didn't only spend $5.00, I'd send it back but I suppose it's not worth the trouble.

As for the toy itself: it's cute, fairly sturdy, and inexpensive, but the solar response is *very* weak. Pretty much worthless for anything but, maybe, hooking a multimeter up to the solar cell and experimenting with different light sources and the like. That'll keep my kid interested for 15 seconds or so...

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute toy but very fragile, October 5, 2008
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
The toy is cute, but fragile. The pieces are tiny and not strong. While assembling, one of the wires broke off. WE managaed to solder it together again.
Once done, the toy is super cute and my daughter loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and discovery for the inquisitive!, February 10, 2010
hrairoo "hrairoo" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter, who just turned 5 and loves science, saw this on Amazon on a video, and was completely enthralled with the toy. I thought she would forget about it, but she didn't. So, she got it from the tooth fairy for her first tooth.
The toy was smaller than I thought it would be, but it is still very fun. It was easy to put together with my daughter--it took maybe 15 minutes or so, and we were able to play with it right away. I think she loves it even more since she got to put it together herself. She loves that it works in the sun and also with flashlights and lamps. She loves experimenting with every light source in the house to see which work. The motor also makes a cricket-like sound when the bug is picked up from the turning motion of the motor, which is cool.
My daughter is very hard on toys, and I felt this toy was very well constructed and sturdy. The antenna are flexible, but don't interfere with the action of the toy if they are skewed around.
The toy has started some interesting conversations about solar power and renewable energy and how simple motors work.
Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not OWI, not a kit, and not fun or intriguing, February 20, 2011
Mainiac (Portland, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
I've bought OWI kits before and been pleased with them. This is not an OWI kit. However, I'm confused because (based on the pictures) what ships looks exactly the same as the (assembled) real OWI grasshopper.

Cons:
1. OWI is a reputable maker of robotic kits (granted, not all of them are perfect), but this is not from OWI.
2. This is not a kit; it's entirely assembled.
3. It doesn't jump, as you would expect from a grasshopper; it just vibrates and wiggles around. (The legs are fixed in place.)

Pros:
1. It vibrates and wiggles around in bright light.

Even at the discounted price (1/3 of list), this is not worth the money. For what it is, it should be cheaper still.

3.0 out of 5 stars That's it?, July 24, 2009
M. Wang (CT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The grasshopper comes in 7 parts. Putting all together is not much a problem. There is no switch on it. To activate it, one must put it under direct sunlight. Once the solar panel receives the light to generate enough current, the tiny motor underneath it turns an unbalanced flyweight similar to the vibrator in a cell phone, causing the whole thing to vibrate. My son's verdict: That's it? My answer is, sadly, yes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - not a kit at all!, December 20, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
The name and description of this product are completely misleading. It says "kit" and "build" but the product arrived fully assembled. I wanted an activity to do with my 9 year old niece and taking it out of the package just does not fit the bill. It seems to work fine - shaking in the sunlight. But it is not what I thought I was buying based on the seller's name and description of the item. In addition, it is much smaller than I thought it would be (my own fault for not looking at the dimensions). I am most likely going to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a darling learning tool!, January 13, 2009
The Fat Brain Toys' Frightened Grasshopper Solar Powered Bug is such a cute way to teach solar power lessons. Tiny and delicate, this tool should be assembled by an adult. But once assembled it provides an intriguing learning tool for a child or young adult.

1.0 out of 5 stars IT DOESN'T WORK, February 26, 2012
I bought the toy for educational purposes and it has never worked, not even in direct noon sunlight. My son learned that solar technology still needs a lot of work.