Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Style Name: Separator|Change

on February 2, 2008
UPDATE: February 2014

After about five years of use, the black rubbery grip on the handle of my OXO fat separator fell off. It's possible to slide it back into place and use the cup as usual, but the grip no longer stays on by itself. I now store the grip inside the cup when not in use. Although I could contact OXO and might receive a replacement cup, I don't really mind replacing the grip each time I use the cup. I can't see throwing away something that still serves its purpose. "Use it up; wear it out; make it do or do without" has been my motto for years. Anyway - I changed my rating to four stars because of the inconvenience of the faulty grip.

Here is my original 2008 review:

I positively love my OXO fat separator! It holds a good amount of liquid, but not so much as to be difficult to pour. The lid helps strain out the solids, but if you want your broth to be absolutely clear, put a piece of cheesecloth over the lid.

IMPORTANT - the little black stopper MUST be inserted in the pouring spout before you add liquids to the cup or the fat will simply rise up in the spout. The stopper creates a vacuum, forcing the fat into the main body of the cup. When you're ready to pour, remove the stopper and the fat will remain floating in the body of the cup.

This cup is made out of high-quality plastic and washes up well in the dishwasher. It doesn't stain when you wash it with the tomato sauces! I've used mine for a couple of years and it's as good as new. I wouldn't make gravy or broth without it.
1010 comments| 329 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2008
When my boyfriend accidentally snapped the spout off my glass fat separator, I was devastated. He bought me this one as a replacement and I was skeptical at first- because I loved the quality of the glass separator and how well it cleaned up. Now, I'm glad he broke the first one!
This is dishwasher safe, so it's easy to clean and I've had no problems with any kind of staining. The four-cup capacity is great, as well as the comfortable rubber handle. The raised area behind the spout helps you not to spill as you tilt the cup forward to pour. But, the best part is the little rubber stopper in the pour spout. Just leave it in as you pour in your stock. When you're ready to separate, just pull it out and the vacuum that was created doesn't allow ANY fat up into the pour spout. I was amazed!
The only reason why I gave this four instead of five stars is because of the strainer on top. The holes are really too large to be useful and I always place another fine mesh strainer on top (you could also use cheesecloth).

Overall: great quality, cleans up easily, and is large enough to be useful.
on December 12, 2006
By far the leading contender for lean gravy making! This separator makes separating meat juices a whiz! I've tried all the other products out there, and this one beats them all. It's perfectly sized 4 cup capacity handles the average accumulation of juices collected from a cooked bird or roast with an extra wide mouth for easy pouring. Like all the other OXO products, the Fat Separator has the same comfortable ergonomic grip.
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2007
I have not used this very often, but when I have I've been pleased. The stopper for the spout, which confounded me, proved to be excellent at keep fat out of it. So, there was never that little splash of grease right as one pours out the juices. It's capacious, and the strainer works for larger bits. If one needs a fine sauce, a finer strainer will need to be used.
VINE VOICEon February 10, 2006
This is a nice big separator. It holds four cups and it has a wide mouth so it's easier to fill. It's lightweight and has a great OXO handle. I found it easy to use and it did the job well. It's dishwasher safe too. The strainer on top does let a few small solids come through, but a piece of cheesecloth easily solves this. My previous separator had no straner at all.

I think this is the best you're gonna get.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2005
I have also used a fat separator in the past and this one is preety much top notch. It strains (although I wish it had a mesh strainer top) and does just what it needs to. Keeps the fat separated for gravy. The 4 cup size is a plus. My old one was 1 cup and sometimes I had to separate twice..
on January 6, 2007
I made beef stock and was able to drain through top and tilt/pour fat-free broth into my sauce. When I got to the bottom, I plugged the spout and tilted to pour most of remaining fat off through large top opening. Meanwhile, the broth in spout stayed where it was.

It also worked the same way for separating sausage fat and au jus. I loved being able to save the tasty liquid without having to throw it out with the fat.
on December 28, 2010
I cook a lot and I LOVE OXO products. The 4 cup separator was no exception the first time I used it. Like all of the other OXO products in my kitchen, it went in to the dishwasher and came out looking great... the first time.

Trouble came shortly after that first use. The second time I used it, it went into the dishwasher (top shelf) and the gray insert on top came out melted! I called OXO and they were really great about it!

I did everything correctly: this product MUST be cleaned on the top shelf of the dishwasher. It also should never be used with a sterilize setting in the dishwasher.

OXO is sending me a new one (I am VERY appreciative of that! Thank you OXO for standing behind your products).

Buy it, use it.. but I'd really recommend that you hand wash it.
review image
88 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2009
I've had my OXO 4-cup fat separator for at least 3 years and it has become one of my most-used kitchen items because it really is incredibly versatile. When I first got it my only intent was to use it as a traditional fat seperator. But it can be used as a measuring cup, a mixing cup, or a vessel to chop things in or store in. I also use it as a marinater too. And with its ergonomic handle and slim design it fits very nicely in my fridge door. And it's also very helpful for when I am making something that needs a large amount of liquid added to it quickly (such as rice) because I can stir everything inside of it. It washes great in the dishwasher (both top and bottom rack). I have used this countless times to make gravy, sauces, stocks and broth and it's always such a breeze. It comes with a rubber stopper (half the time you don't even need this) and a plastic lid that also doubles as a strainer (both of these items are also dishwasher safe). I purchased mine at Wegmans, of all places (a place I no longer shop at because they're quality, service and prices are all abhorrent). Needless to say, the price on Amazon is much better than Wegmans. OXO also offers a lifetime warranty with all of their products, so there's really no reason to choose any other brand, IMO.
on November 25, 2007
Pros: holds quite a bit of liquid. Easy to clean And works just like it says it does.

Cons: holes are to big in the lid and you may want to use a strainer if you don't want any solids getting through.

Yes I would reccomend buying this. I had went through some generic ones in the past and eventhough this is a bit pricey, it is built to last.