Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

on January 16, 2005
I've had this mandoline about 4 months after reading the recommendation of a Washington Post writer. It has worked well enough, but I sometimes wonder if the Boerner V-slicer would have been a better purchase. The blade is *not* that sharp, although it does a good enough job on potatoes, my main use for it. It is easy to clean and the blades are all right there when you need them, but I have one big gripe. The holder/pusher seems to "grasp" a lot of whatever you are cutting, leaving huge chunks of leftover potato, cucumber, carrot or whatever. My objective is not to throw away 15-20% of my vegetables.
Addition to review: returned said mandoline and replaced with Boerner V-slicer. No comparison! The V-slicer is sharper, easy to use, and doesn't waste large chunks of vegetable. It Sliced cukes and tomatoes with ease!
on August 14, 2006
An avid home cook that is a collector of both cookbooks and cooking gadgets writes this review. I am a fairly accomplished home cook and own more than my share of kitchen gadgets. I received this product as a birthday present a few years ago and have been more than satisfied with its performance. I have summarized my observations of this product below:

1. Makes perfect thin slices every time

2. Stays sharp longer than I expected it to.

3. Easy to disassemble to sharpen the blade

4. Simple to clean, I usually hand wash it

5. Small size means it is easy to store

6. Very easy to change thickness settings and large easy to read dial

7. Apparently well made. I expected the plastic would have given up by now with the repetitive use this gets at my house. But, it is still going strong two years after purchase.

1. I wish the documents that came with the device had told the customer to remove the blade and sharpen it regularly as I believe this would increase customer satisfaction.

Overall I highly recommend this product anyone that slices a lot of vegetables. I embarked on a mostly vegan lifestyle about 4 months ago and I slice a lot of vegetables. If you are looking for something that is fast, this is very helpful to have in the kitchen. It is important to remember that this item is essentially a knife a on a stand. Just like a knife needs to be sharpened periodically so does this blade. If you don't sharpen it will not function as intended. As long as you are comfortable sharpening your knives you can purchase this product with confidence that it will get the job done.
on September 30, 2004
Mine works wonderfully. The blades are razor sharp and come covered with a thin plastic strip for protection. Perhaps the previous reviewer failed to notice this and remove the strip? The only issue I've found is that the plastic legs are somewhat fragile. After two uses, one of the legs snapped off just below the hinge joint. I'm getting a replacement, though, as I'm very pleased with this tool otherwise.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2006
I have read a spectrum of remarks on this madoline and went to see one at a store. What I found made me buy one. To begin, the construction is really remarkable. It is easy to set up and easy to use. The design is sturdy and it comes apart for washing in the dishwasher. (Hand wash the blades, dishwashers take the edge right off a blade.)The knives are only just sharp enough.

Now comes the good part, the straight blade is quite sturdy and easy to remove and you can sharpen it! Just take a small finishing stone flat to the metal on the back of the bevel and polish off the burr. This will take about a minute and the result is awsome dude! Since no edge lasts forever, this feature alone is reason to buy this unit.
on October 27, 2006
I read the high praises by knowledgable food writers in Gourmet and at least two other respected food columnists. I agree that this is a superior product and far better than others on the market. I am curious about the unhappy reviewers as to whether they read the instructions or just treated it like some cheap vegamatic gadget. This is a precision chef's instrument and produces outstanding slices, juliennes and other fine cuts of food. In any event, if grousers are unhappy for any reason OXO does provide a satisfaction guaranteed warranty. Perhaps they didn't read that either since it comes with the instructions. I love my OXO Mandoline, which like other Universal Design OXO products is well-designed and adds value to my kitchen.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2006
I like that this mandoline makes so many different kinds of cuts, but it's still compact. It did take a few tries to get comfortable with it, but it's worth the effort. I takes me less than half the time to make cucumber salad and the results are beautiful. I had trouble with tomatoes too but I called OXO and they explained that you can go on their website to see how to slice softer items like tomatoes with a straight blade mandoline. It worked pretty well. Still, it's a great product for potatoes, zucchinis, try it for shredded cabbage. A real time saver.
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2004
Compared to other mandolines on the market this OXO masterpiece is a great value. It outperforms others costing twice as much.

It is safer and better performing than any we have tried. This OXO Slicer is user-friendly. Blades are safely covered when not in use. Blades store on the unit and legs fold compactly. It's even easy to clean.
on April 8, 2010
I came to Amazon to order this mandoline for a friend and was surprised to see all the negative reviews.

My principle mandoline is one of those big stainless steel French beauties by Bron. I got the Oxo for a second home and didn't want to spend 3 times the money for another Bron.

I've been delighted with it. The Oxo cuts like crazy, even paper-thin cucumber or fennel slices. I have not had to sharpen the blade, although this would not be difficult if I eventually have to. It's easy to clean and packs up nicely for convenient storage. It has an indicator dial to show you how thick you slices will be, although you're free to dial up whatever thickness you like. I have had no problems at all with the pusher. In fact, I wish my Bron had one like that. (The new Bron mandolines do, along with a few other features they copied from Oxo.)

I tried a bunch of V-slicers, Japanese, and other less-expensive mandolines, and kept tossing them out until I got the Oxo. (Come to think of it, I probably should have just gotten another Bron in the first place. Oh well.)

Regardless, given the numbers of poor reviews, I have to assume that some Oxo mandolines are defective. The numbers are too high to write off to incorrect use or not knowing any better. So if you get an Oxo and it doesn't work as above, bring or send it back.
on September 10, 2005
I longed for a mandoline for years. When I finally decided to buy, it seemed the OXO mandoline would be a good choice: trusted brand name, decent price, good features. This mandoline makes interesting cuts and stands nicely on the counter. However, the food holder makes no sense to me, and the manual explains nothing about its use, only says to not use the mandoline without it. That's the only way I've been able to successfully slice anything--without the food holder. I have such a hard time removing the blade for washing that I finally resorted to prying it out with a table knife to clean it. I've enjoyed slicing cucumbers and carrots; have given up on tomatoes and cheese. I wish I'd known these drawbacks before I bought and used it, because it isn't meeting my needs.
on August 5, 2005
It did not work properly. I purchased the mandoline at Williams-Sonoma. I figured that if they were selling the product, it must work well.

It sliced beautiful cucumbers and onions quickly and easily. I had to exert more pressure with the potatoes and yams, and it jammed a bit. It crumbled the bell peppers. The pepper started to slice, then it would snag and rip it. The tomatoes were a disaster! The manual that came with the mandoline did not explain that there was a trick to slicing them. I called William-Sonoma and the representative said that the mandoline really didn't slice tomatoes, but that if I had patience I could by slicing at an angle with a firm tomato. I used up a lot of tomatoes, but still got mush. I went on the OXO website. There, on the web manual, it gave directions on how to slice the firm tomatoes using a zig zag motion. Again, I tried. I guess the tomatoes I used were not as firm as they needed to be. I got mush again. (I used a regular potato peeler andt it did fine.)

I also don't think it was as smooth as it's promoted to be. My hand was hurting from when it jammed.

I had a mandoline many years agos and it worked beautifully on all vegetables and fruits. I had gotten it at a demonstration at a house and garden show. Too bad I don't recall the brand.

A friend looked at the mandoline and she said the blades were dull. Funny she said that, 'cause that had been my first impression, too.

If you get one I hope it works for you. Good luck.