5.0 out of 5 stars OXO gets it right again
My sister turned me onto OXO kitchenware a few years back. She has issues gripping utensils. I liked them for their construction, how well they work and easy clean up. I saw these mills and loved the look and the quality materials they are made of. They are solidly constructed yet still light enough not to cause issues for those that OXO items were designed...
Published on September 11, 2009 by Millersdad

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars Defective refill cap
I loved these things at first but after a couple of months the bottom refill cap would randomly fall off spilling the peppercorns all over the place.
After it happened twice I made it a practice to check the bottom refill cap after each use. Sadly it seemed the cap was plotting against me and would fall off
any time I didn't check it. The refill cap cannot twist...
Published on February 5, 2011 by David Nox

5.0 out of 5 stars OXO gets it right again, September 11, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)

Both mills have adjustments on the collar above the see-through storage portion. There are little "ears" that allow selection of one of five various settings for "fine" through coarse granules to exit the mill.
I wouldn't call any of the dispensed salt or pepper "fine" but that's perfectly okay for me and my family. Please consider other options if you like "pepper dust" as these puppies just won't grind that fine.

As others have noted, the mills set "upright" with the ceramic teeth facing the sky. It seems a little point, but how often have you lifted your old pepper mill to find flecks on the counter or table top? Filling and actual turning of the base portion to dispense either the pepper or salt is effortless.

I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. (In fact I have a feeling I know what I will get some family members for a certain upcoming holiday)
Unless you simply don't have access anything other than pre-ground salt, I urge you to get the set that contains two mills, not the pepper mill and salt shaker)

Both mills do come loaded ready for use. I read where some have dumped the peppercorns that came with, to refill them with the identical black peppercorns. Whole spices tend to have a lengthy shelf-life. Upon checking, I see they say peppercorns have about 4 yrs. A few have dumped the salt too. It must be due to their concerns with contamination rather than the salt going bad. Being a hearty soul, I opted to not waste what came to me. Pungent pepper and salt as fine or course as I ask is delivered painlessly in two beautiful little packages. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & effective salt/pepper grinder set, May 30, 2009
Barry Lentz (Chapel Hill, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
Owned for about a month. Simple mechanism. Sound construction. Course/fine adjust works well. Easy for even a child to turn. Perfect results every time. Just ordered a second set for our beach cottage.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Defective refill cap, February 5, 2011
David Nox (Central Florida USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
any time I didn't check it. The refill cap cannot twist tight. It is designed to twist and lock into place but the lock part seems to wear out after some use and it will then fall off spilling it's contents after use. One user said the new model has fixed this problem but I don't know.
For a product I paid nearly $40 for I am very disappointed. It's too late to return it.

***Review Edit***
After about 6-7 months another Amazon customer advised me to try Oxo customer service. I contacted them by email and they sent out a new set to me free of charge.
Only problem is it's not the new improved grinder model. It's the same model I have. It has the same problem as the other set. One grinder fill cap is loose and can cause a major spill if it falls off. Looking on the bright side I now have 4 grinders 2 with tight lids 2 with loose lids.
If you receive the old model with the twist lids and they are too loose contact Oxo and they will probably give you a replacement.
These are nice grinders when the lids don't fall off. In 7 months It's happened about 3 times causing annoying spills.
I'm not sure if Amazon is selling the improved model yet. The current picture is not the improved model.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:04:59 PM PST
OXO says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi David,

I'm Kimberly from OXO. Thank you so much for your feedback on the Salt and Pepper Grinder Set.

At OXO we're committed to developing innovative products that make everyday living easier. To make good on this mission, we pay close (some might say "obsessive") attention to every detail so that we deliver products that maximize comfort AND performance. We study what works and doesn't work about existing products, including our own, and identify ways to make them better. It's a big part of what makes an OXO product an "OXO Product."

Still, despite all our best efforts, occasionally we fall short, which is why user feedback like yours is such an important part of our process. The loose lid issue you are referring to is actually because of the threading at the bottom of the grinder. We redesigned the bottom to fix the thread so that the lid will stay shut unless prompted by you. We have also uploaded new photos to Amazon to reflect the updated soft non-slip grip on the grinders.

I've spoken to the engineer on the project about this specific case and he'd like to take a look at your grinders and speak with you further about the problems you were and might still be experiencing. At your earliest convenience please email us at tellus@oxo.com with your contact information and we will get back to you.

Cheers,
OXO

5.0 out of 5 stars oxo grinders, June 4, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
after years of the cheap bath and kitchen store grinders breaking every couple of years these Oxo grinders feel nice and sturdy. I especially like the selectable size feature

4.0 out of 5 stars update-finally got ahold of OXO and they replaced old shakers, December 30, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
Got these for the wife for Christmas with the benefit being I get to use them also! They work great! Being able to adjust the grind coarseness is a great feature. These work better than any grinders I have used.

UPDATE:

The pepper grinder has now had the refill cap come off twice dumping all the peppercorns. Last nite it caused me to ruin a whole pot of soup when it came off and dumped all the peppercorns in. Grrrr!!

UPDATE:
In responce to firefly's comment:
There is no email address listed for OXO on their website so I filled out the form (I hate these as you have no record of sending anything to them).
I explained in detail the problem I had and asked if they had corrected the defective fill cap.
After 5 days I got an email which did not address my email. It was a standard "canned" response detailing the return policy for an exchange. I responded to the email reiterating my concerns and have not received an answer.
For now my original rating stands with the additional comment that OXO is slow in returning and unresponsive to emails.

UPDATE 10/19/13
I was finally able to get ahold of OXO and they replaced the S and P shakers that were defective with the redesigned ones. We have had the new ones in daily use now for a couple months and so far no problems. They seem to have fixed the dumping problem and we like how they are working. I would give a five star now but with the ruined food we had with the originals I can not bring myself to do so.

2.0 out of 5 stars After two years of faithful service -- I have to toss the salt grinder..., May 24, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
I really liked this set from Oxo. They are super easy to fill and the grind/grain size is very simple to adjust. However, after using them for about two years, they have become useless. The bottom part that comes off to refill the grinder falls off without any provocation. Because the grinder holds so much salt, it creates a huge mess. I have switched to the Unicorn Magnum grinders and am very pleased with them. If OXO could fix this problem (it comes up in many reviews), they would have the best grinders on the market. As it stands, they have created a product that is wonderful but can not withstand the test of time. So disappointing for an otherwise amazing product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bottoms Fall Off Too Easily, April 5, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
Maybe I got a bad set of grinders (I've had them too long to return/exchange I think), but I have used the salt grinder a dozen times now and every time I go to put it back on the counter the bottom lid (that holds the salt in) pops right off and I end up cleaning salt rocks off my kitchen floor for the next 20 minutes. I think the grinding is great, but the looseness of the lid on the salt shaker ruins it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total brownie points for this purchase., August 11, 2009
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
My girlfriend bought a disposable salt/pepper grinder set from a store a while back. I though it was weird, but I didn't say anything. Turns out, it was weird. She had no idea they were disposable, and had expected to be able to refill them when they ran out.

"Not without a circular saw and super glue," I said.

But then I went on Amazon and ordered this set, and surprised her with it when it arrived.

"These are better. You can refill them," I said. She agreed. Booyah. Brownie points for the unexpected grinder set.

So now that we've had a chance to use them? These are fantastic grinders. The build quality is excellent - the moving pieces fit nicely without any wiggle, but aren't so tight that you struggle with them. The clear acrylic portion is thick and sturdy. The stainless steel accents are nice as well. The coarseness adjuster slides smoothly and clicks positively into each position. And it's effective, too. The grinding mechanism is much nicer than the cheapo disposable ones, which were basically just plastic teeth. These are ceramic for added strength and reduced wear, and it requires very little force to grind.

Plus, they came pre-filled, which was an unexpected bonus.

I didn't even realize at the time that these were made by the same company that made the excellent steamer that I had just purchased. So now I'm officially sold on the quality of their products.

Brownie points for the steamer too, by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY HAPPY, November 4, 2009
Ty (Ferndale, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
I read the reviews and the main problem seemed to be the pepper didn't grind small enough. I'm no chef but it ground very fine to me. quality was high, nice size. the grinders are made of ceramic. hope they last a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grinders, December 25, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set (Kitchen)
I am disappointed that I previously wasted money trying other grinders. Not only do the come full of salt and pepper, but they fit very well in your hand making them easy to use - love them.

OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set