Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Size: Salt/Pepper|Change

on April 21, 2009
First, THIS IS A PERFECT PEPPER GRINDER. It has the easiest loading area I have ever seen. It has coarse to fine settings which always come out uniform. It is pretty affordable and it looks good.

Second, when I tried out a slew of pepper grinders, it came down to two major and three minor qualities.

Major:

1. The pepper grinder MUST have adjustable settings, from coarse to fine, and the pepper must come out uniformly. If a pepper grinder can't do this, it does not matter how cheap it is or how cool it looks.

2. The pepper grinder MUST be easy to refill. This is almost as important as #1, and just about as much of a deal-breaker if its poorly designed. Some of the grinders have the most asinine, tiny, and poorly designed holes you could ever imagine.

Minor:
1. It should be affordable. Anything less than $10 and more than $30 should be looked at closely. Under 10 and it just can't possibly be that good, and over 30 means its most likely overpriced. These aren't hard and fast rules, but something to consider.

2. It should be elegant or stylish. I've always preferred something in the silver/black area that tends to go with a variety of kitchen or home decors and just look nice on the table.

3. It is helpful if it faces upward, to keep grinds off the table. This is pretty common nowadays and isn't as hard to find as used to be the case.
88 comments|428 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2009
My sister turned me onto OXO kitchenware a few years back. She has issues gripping utensils. I liked them for their construction, how well they work and easy clean up. I saw these mills and loved the look and the quality materials they are made of. They are solidly constructed yet still light enough not to cause issues for those that OXO items were designed.

Both mills have adjustments on the collar above the see-through storage portion. There are little "ears" that allow selection of one of five various settings for "fine" through coarse granules to exit the mill.
I wouldn't call any of the dispensed salt or pepper "fine" but that's perfectly okay for me and my family. Please consider other options if you like "pepper dust" as these puppies just won't grind that fine.

As others have noted, the mills set "upright" with the ceramic teeth facing the sky. It seems a little point, but how often have you lifted your old pepper mill to find flecks on the counter or table top? Filling and actual turning of the base portion to dispense either the pepper or salt is effortless.

I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. (In fact I have a feeling I know what I will get some family members for a certain upcoming holiday)
Unless you simply don't have access anything other than pre-ground salt, I urge you to get the set that contains two mills, not the pepper mill and salt shaker)

Both mills do come loaded ready for use. I read where some have dumped the peppercorns that came with, to refill them with the identical black peppercorns. Whole spices tend to have a lengthy shelf-life. Upon checking, I see they say peppercorns have about 4 yrs. A few have dumped the salt too. It must be due to their concerns with contamination rather than the salt going bad. Being a hearty soul, I opted to not waste what came to me. Pungent pepper and salt as fine or course as I ask is delivered painlessly in two beautiful little packages. I couldn't be happier with my decision.
66 comments|256 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2009
First of all I was really surprised it actually came with peppers, gave me a chance to give it a few twists right after it came in the bag from Amazon.

The picture from Amazon shows the grinder side facing up, the way it's meant to be on the table. The dots that you see near the lip are what you use to adjust how fine you want the pepper to come out. The rubber bottom is what you twist to do the actual grinding. It is really easy to fill as there is no metal rod going out the back like those wooden pepper grinders. The fill cap is a twist on plastic cap. Highly recommended grinder.
11 comment|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2009
Owned for about a month. Simple mechanism. Sound construction. Course/fine adjust works well. Easy for even a child to turn. Perfect results every time. Just ordered a second set for our beach cottage.
on July 26, 2009
This OXO Pepper Grinder is ergonomically designed: the rubbery grip makes it easy to use, and the business end is on the top (which means loose pepper doesn't scatter around when the grinder is not in use).

Unfortunately, I was disappointed when I discovered that the grind on the finest setting is much too coarse. Even worse, it produces an uneven grind on every setting.

I almost returned it, but I suppose it can serve as a backup, or maybe I can put some sort of exotic, seldom-used peppercorns in it.

EDIT: I finally gave up trying to get good results with this pepper grinder. Since it was then too late to return to Amazon, I contacted the customer service department at Oxo and returned the item directly to them along with the purchase receipt. They then gave me a full refund for the purchase price. So extra credit to Oxo for honoring their satisfaction guarantee.
77 comments|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2010
I work at Bed Bath & Beyond, and one of our recent shipments included a slightly-updated version of the Oxo Good Grips Pepper Grinder. The biggest change is that the lid on the peppercorn chamber is now fully threaded and requires several turns to remove it. I'm guessing this is to address the problem many customers had with the lid inadvertently unscrewing and spilling pepper everywhere. The grinding performance seems to be unchanged, which may be an issue if you prefer the powder-fine texture of pre-ground pepper. The rubber turning mechanism also has a more pronounced grip now, and there are some minor cosmetic changes to the ceramic grinding mechanism and the coarseness lever.

I have the older model, and it's worked out well for me. It produces plenty of pepper per turn, has a large capacity, is easy to fill, and is easy to tell when it needs refilling. I haven't had any problems with the cap unscrewing; guess I got one of the better ones.
on June 4, 2009
after years of the cheap bath and kitchen store grinders breaking every couple of years these Oxo grinders feel nice and sturdy. I especially like the selectable size feature
on October 18, 2012
After wasting the last 20 minutes of my life cleaning up salt rocks from my stove/cabinet/floor/etc, I had to leave a review and say that these so-called "new design" sets are equally as defective; perhaps I have the "old (reads: junk) design, but many reviews dated more than a year ago claim that Amazon is now shipping the new version. I expected more out of $40 salt and pepper grinders.

I'm done with this company and their overpriced crap.
review image review image
66 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2014
OXO makes great products, but this one is a stinker. It grinds unevenly, and the finest grind is much too coarse. I took it apart to see if I could tighten tne adjustment and discovered that the "grinder" is made of plastic, the teeth of which have all but disappeared. Too bad. It fits the hand nicely and it's a pleasure to use--it just doesn't work.
review image
on December 30, 2011
Got these for the wife for Christmas with the benefit being I get to use them also! They work great! Being able to adjust the grind coarseness is a great feature. These work better than any grinders I have used.

UPDATE:

The pepper grinder has now had the refill cap come off twice dumping all the peppercorns. Last nite it caused me to ruin a whole pot of soup when it came off and dumped all the peppercorns in. Grrrr!!

UPDATE:
In responce to firefly's comment:
There is no email address listed for OXO on their website so I filled out the form (I hate these as you have no record of sending anything to them).
I explained in detail the problem I had and asked if they had corrected the defective fill cap.
After 5 days I got an email which did not address my email. It was a standard "canned" response detailing the return policy for an exchange. I responded to the email reiterating my concerns and have not received an answer.
For now my original rating stands with the additional comment that OXO is slow in returning and unresponsive to emails.

UPDATE 10/19/13
I was finally able to get ahold of OXO and they replaced the S and P shakers that were defective with the redesigned ones. We have had the new ones in daily use now for a couple months and so far no problems. They seem to have fixed the dumping problem and we like how they are working. I would give a five star now but with the ruined food we had with the originals I can not bring myself to do so.
55 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse