5.0 out of 5 stars Best pepper mill I have ever used.
Published on August 12, 2011 by John Squibbly

1.0 out of 5 stars Shaft broke
Used this product about 1/2 dozen times when the shaft broke. This product is very cheaply made and I would not recommend purchasing it.
Published 10 months ago by Michael Schuler

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pepper mill I have ever used., August 12, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
I ordered this for my dad who loves to cook because he had been using a scrappy stand-up knob-style pepper grinder for a while and knew he deserved something better. I was actually pretty hesitant in buying this pepper mill, because there were others sold on Amazon that had much more buyer reviews and were a little more expensive. I hope that this review can help change that.

It is literally the best pepper mill I have ever used. Finally got to see it in person at my parents' house and was blown away by the simplicity of the design of this thing. Here's a list of why it is great:

- Really sturdy. Made out of plastic, but seems very durable.

- The size is PERFECT for holding in your hand (this was one of my biggest fears because the picture makes it look quite big in my opinion).

- The loading door is great and the mill holds a very generous amount of pepper.

- Very easy to turn, easy to change coarseness (the lever-arm style pepper-mill is really what I was looking for because it is just much easier to turn than a knob-style). Also, the black knob on the lever can rotate independently from the lever, which is key to making it very easy to turn.

- The cover cap that comes with it is great so that you don't get pepper all over your kitchen counter.

Overall, really a great product. I couldn't be more impressed with it.

UPDATE: December 04, 2012

It has been over a year since this product was received and is in use at LEAST once every day (and by once I mean over the course of one meal).

The pepper mill is still going strong. There really isn't much I can add to the above original review of the product except that there have been no issues whatsoever and it has been working just as well since Day 1. Everyone who uses it loves it, it is VERY easy to use and get a lot of pepper from very little grinding effort due to the design of the lever-style crank mechanism, and it is very easy to clean (which rarely needs to be done since it's a pepper mill).

I have gotten other products from Oxo since this pepper mill and continue to be very impressed by them. Do yourself a favor: Do not be fooled by the other pepper mills that are often more EXPENSIVE - this one has been just about perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mill, August 17, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
This is the best pepper mill I have ever used. I have owned one for many years and it produces the best flakes. You can adjust the grind to get flakes that are big enough to crunch! Ah, the burst of flavor from cracking those flakes between your teeth.

Nothing is better for freshly grinding pepper for a recipe. You can grind large quantities of pepper easily and never suffer fatigue in the process. I am buying several as gifts for young cooks I know.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Like It Overall, But It Has Its Issues, January 3, 2012
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
I'll give this the usual positive/negative rundown.

Positive

1) Inexpensive. Many of the highly-rated mills go for $40 and up. This is a bargain at $12.

2) Tray-style holder keeps ground pepper from making a mess on the counter or table.

3) I find the lovably dorky looks appealing.

4) Its handle grinding is much more ergonomic than the twisting action on many mills.

5) Grinds a lot of pepper with little effort.

6) Pepper loading chute is wonderfully easy to use and a big improvement on the disassembly mills often require.

Negative

1) Plastic construction and overall feel don't generate a lot of confidence in its durability, though other reviewers seem to have found that it holds up well.

2) Coarseness adjustment is inconveniently located at the bottom where the pepper comes out, so you get pepper on your fingers when you make the adjustment. The range of coarseness is what I would call fine to medium; if you like coarsely cracked pepper, you are out of luck with this mill.

3) The round shape is problematical for gripping. The handle action requires a solid grip on the body with the other hand, and the round shape is not conducive to this. Worse, it's very possible to pop open the pepper chute when you grab hold tightly. I haven't had any spills yet, but I feel I have to exercise a little care to prevent this.

Despite its issues, I really like this mill and for the price I doubt that it can be beaten.

Postscript 15 months on: The mill has held up just fine, and I quickly adjusted to gripping the body to hold the pepper chute closed when grinding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grinds like nothing before!!, February 23, 2012
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
I can't express enough how glad I am that I listened to the positive reviews and made this purchase. I've used AT LEAST 5 different pepper grinders within the last year and NONE of them worked well enough for me to want to use on a regular basis. Some only put out a little pepper for tons of effort, some just clogged up after a few turns, one just didn't work at all. NONE of these problems with the Oxo Good Grips Pepper Mill. You just turn the handle (which turns with VERY little effort) and you get a rainstorm of pepper all over your food in the coarseness of your desire! I would definitely recommend for those with arthritis problems etc who love freshly ground pepper. It IS a large (about as thick around as a soda can) grinder, so you are forewarned. I really like the bottom cover and it's very quick + easy to refill.

My only MINIATURE issue with this grinder is that when placing your hand around it, you have to make sure that your fingers do not END on the clear plastic part of the grinder (The mechanism of it will make the top end of the clear refill part of the grinder pop out and if it's filled to the max you'll have peppercorns falling out). However this small problem in my opinion does not merit the removal of a star or take away much from my love of this product. I will certainly update this review if the grinder does not stay as functional for a reasonable amount of time.

In the meantime, My plan for the near future is to buy at least two more of these grinders, one for my coarse sea salt (no more disposable sea salt grinder for me!) and one for a three-color mix of peppercorns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love my OXO, July 23, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
Have had one of these little mills for a few years now... the easiest to use and ABSOLUTELY the easiest to refill with peppercorns... just open the chute and pour them in... and has a nice cap on the bottom to hold pepper when not in use... I am buying a few of them as gifts!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Oxo Product, January 13, 2012
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
I have had many pepper grinders over the years and this one is by far the best. It's very well made, easy to use and easy to fill. It has an knob on the bottom to adjust how course you want it to grind and it also has a handy little cover for the bottom to keep from making a mess when not in use. I give this product an A++

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't buy any other pepper mill, January 11, 2012
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
My dad has had one of these for 10 years and he asked me to buy a couple more since he loves it so much. Amazing product, perfect design. It is easy to load, easy to use. Does not fail to impress. Adjusting the grind from coarse to fine is also very easy. Would recommend it 100%. Great gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars works good / but, August 7, 2012
J. Gregg (SW Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
well this pepper mill works pretty good BUT the clear door were the pepper corns go pops open very easy allowing the pepper corns to spill out causing a mess. I had to put a rubber band around it to keep the door closed. I would not buy this again was this worth the money NO. I will keep this and use it just because I don't want to go though the hassle of returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pepper grinder!, January 1, 2012
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
I was pleasantly surprised by this pepper grinder. I've been searching for a while for one that would do the job. This OXO model was a lifesaver. I am able to grind not just pepper but mixes with bay leaves and such!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pepper mill, but don't drop it!, August 25, 2012
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill (Kitchen)
I had been using a rag tag team of cheap, gift set type pepper mills for years. They were cheaply made and cracked and broke easily and quickly. Wanting a decent pepper mill, I purchased this one from Amazon and I really like it! I agree with other reviewers about the size and how it fits comfortably in your hand. Although, if you have butter fingers or are a little on the clumsy side, dropping it may pose a problem.

Pros
- Size is great! Handles easily, not too big on the counter.
- Sleek black and white design is attractive and stylish.
- Easy to turn and mill size is adjustable.
- Wipes off easily.
- Clear window keeps you constantly apprised of your supply of peppercorns.
- Refilling hatch makes it easy to refill.
- Sturdy and well made. I have dropped it a few times and it has never chipped, broke or cracked!

Cons
- The refill hatch on the side of the mill might pop open if dropped. It is VERY frustrating to be in the middle of cooking
and all of a sudden you have peppercorns rolling all over the counter top and floor!! Not mention the loss of your
precious, delicious peppercorns!

I liked the mill enough to buy another one for kosher salt, and like other reviewers I found it functions a little better with peppercorns. However, all you have to do is adjust the mill size and be careful of how far you turn the mill and you can easily get a feel for using it for salts. I use this mill multiple times a day and so far, aside from the occasional oopsie, it's great mill!

OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill