Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: OXO Good Grips Y Peeler
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Size: Y Peeler|Change

on October 23, 2001
I love this peeler! I prefer this style over the swivel because it's easier to control and I'm less apt to cut myself. The blades are sharp enough to skin some winter squash, but dull enough so that my blade-phobic friend can peel potatoes.
The OXO rubber comfort grip is what distinguishes this peeler from others with similar designs. I can easily prepare enough russet and sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, etc. for a large holiday dinner without getting a cramp and without the tool slipping from my wet hands.
I've had mine for about 5 years and it's still in great condition, but having an online source for this is very convenient because in my area, most stores carry only the swivel version.
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2008
I've been using this peeler for about 2.5 months. At the beginning it was the greatest peeler I've ever owned. I mean I could peel through veggie skins like butter but within a couple of months the peeler stopped becoming so sharp. Now I have a hard time peeling through ginger skins. This peeler was mostly use for potatoes and sometimes gingers. I didn't peel anything hard with it but it still lost it's sharpness.
66 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2000
This peeler cuts through potato and cucumber skin like butter. My son loves to peel things for now! I no longer dread the task of peeling. My old peeler took forever to perform the task of peeling potatoes. After using this peeler, I'm sold for life on OXO!
on June 29, 2000
This "Y" design is comfortable to hold and easy to use. Very effective for peeling apples and carrots. Works quickly and efficiently. The "Good Grips" handle is a joy for those of us who have arthritis or carple tunnel syndrome. The folks at OXO are very deserving the award this product has won. It takes the chore out of peeling vegetables.
on December 5, 2015
I am in love with this peeler! It's amazing. It takes no effort to peel. Glides right on down whatever you are peeling, and makes it a breeze. No more sore hands!

Very easy to use, and fits in your hand nicely. I have small hands, so I am always looking for something to help me out. The blades are very sharp, so it takes half the time to peel.
review image review image review image review image review image
on October 9, 2015
TLDR; go buy the swivel peeler instead if you're American and love your country.

According to OXO's video (yes, I watched it. I really agonized over this, OK?? Also, I have no life), European chefs prefer the Y peeler while Americans prefer the swivel peeler. I guess this means I really am American because I prefer the swivel peeler as well. And according to my very scientific test after trying both, the swivel peeler is definitively better because -
a. it feels more ergonomic in your hand
b. it can grab onto that last 10% if you're peeling a vegetable through (this only matters if the thing you're peeling has an inedible core)

So why am I singing the praises of the swivel peeler in a Y peeler review? Because -
a. USA! #1!
b. See above
and because the Y peeler isn't bad per se, but it's just not five stars, ya know? That's reserved for the swivel AKA the option that makes the freedom eagle soar.
on June 9, 2015
Very easy to grip and very sharp blade. My wife is very old school and prefers to use a knife for peeling. I purchased the OXO Y Peeler because..A) It removes very thin layers of the peel, which means you keep and eat more of what your peeling, and B) The Y-Peeler is easier to handle. A knife can slip and cut you and I the Y-Peeler is simply safer. It's also easy to clean and small enough to be tucked away in any drawer.
on August 8, 2000
The design is different, which may be a nice option for some... But I found it more awkward than the traditional design as my hands kept getting in the way of what I was doing.
Also, the tip on the edge is really inadequate for de-eye-ing potatoes or cutting out bad spots.
Cut the food, not your own hands: If all I ever peeled were carrots, I might be happy with the Y. But overall I prefer the OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler and will use it for apples, potatoes and everything else. It's the traditional knife-style model but with the ergonomic padding.
on July 6, 2015
We've been using our last oxo peeler for over three years. The old one is still in great shape and I'm using that one everyday. I just wanted to buy an extra one just in case. But three years is a great life span for a peeler, and it's still going strong. Needless to say, This peeler peels great. I have never found a better peeler than an oxo peeler. I highly recommend this peeler to everybody
on January 17, 2016
This is a great peeler. The handle is wide enough to sit well in the hand & has worked well even when hands are wet and peeling. The blade is sharp and I appreciate it also comes with a cover to ensure it stays that way, albeit I could see someone (including myself) losing the cover because it doesn't stay on as securely as I'd like it. I could see it getting knocked off if you're one that has a large collection of accessories in the drawer with it. Should it retract from the purchase? No. For a casual cook I enjoy it either way :)