4.0 out of 5 stars Favorite cord catcher
Published on July 21, 2010 by Patricia

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT iPhone 5 Friendly
Heavier then expected which is a good thing! iPhone5 Lighting Charge Cord slips right thru the Cord Catcher. Should include an adapter for smaller cords.
Published 23 months ago by James T. Zaharis

4.0 out of 5 stars Favorite cord catcher, July 21, 2010
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Cord Catch, Satin Chrome (Kitchen)
This is the best cord catcher of several I've owned. It's small, heavy for its size, and has a nonslip base, so it stays put. The simple design and silver color look good on my desk, and it's easily moved wherever you need it. It fits all my USB cords as well as a 3/16" diameter FireWire cable; I also tried a 1/4" round cable just to see if it would fit, but that was too big. Before buying this, I thought the similarly-shaped but slightly smaller BlueLounge Cabledrops were the best solution, but they stick on and can't be relocated without carefully removing them from furniture and then replacing the double-sided tape. This is 1-3/4" diameter, 1-1/4" high, and weighs 4.7 oz. I plan to buy a few more for use wherever cords might fall behind furniture if I had to unplug something.

This is an update, as another review mentioned that very thin cables, such as Apple's USB or iPhone, may slip out of this. These cables (of which I have several) are thinner than the cord catcher's slot, so they could pop up and out, especially if the cable is going upward to an outlet. For this situation, placing the connector end vertically against the back slot minimizes this. In comparison, the BlueLounge Cabledrops have a very narrow, but pliable top opening you'd have to push a thin cable through, so they work better in this respect, but my solution works for me and I still prefer the weight and portability of the Oxo cord catcher. However, the other reviewer made a valid point I originally didn't consider and agree with (notwithstanding my solution), so I've changed my rating from 5 to 4 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT iPhone 5 Friendly, September 27, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but some cables will drop, April 29, 2012
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Cord Catch, Satin Chrome (Kitchen)
I've got a lot of devices that need charging, which means that I have at least a few cables on my desk that require quick access. To solve the messy appearance and the occasional cable that'd drop back behind my desk, I went looking for a cord catch. I'd had my eye on the OXO Good Grips cord catch for a while, but waffled on buying it because of the price. I'd finally had enough and after installing an articulating monitor arm on my desk, I decided to go ahead and try it out.

PROS:
- Nicely weighted
- Attractive appearance
- Non-slip rubber base
- Can feed two or more cables

CONS:

- Wide opening allows some cables to drop
- Kind of pricey

The OXO Good Grips cord catch is a good looking little doodad. It comes in a satin chrome finish as well as a polished chrome finish. The base is comprised of a rubber, non-slip material and the 3 ounce weight keeps the cord catch from tipping over or moving around too much. The front has a wide opening to contain the plug-ends of cables, while the rear thins out to a small opening.

Wide cables should fit through the openings without any problem, as well as multiple thin cables. However, the opening is large enough that some cables with smaller ends, like micro- and mini-USB cables, may end up dropping right through the opening. I just pair up my cables so that they won't fall back.

The OXO Good Grips cord catch is a great way to keep your cables from falling behind your desk, as long as you don't have just one small cable. I prefer it over to other solutions that require you to stick them on your desk with an adhesive. Just keep in mind that if you're looking for a cord catch for one, small cable, it might not be your best solution.

1.0 out of 5 stars Opening too big, March 27, 2012
C. Sadler (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Cord Catch, Satin Chrome (Kitchen)
This is a nice looking cord catch, but the opening is too large-- mini usb and phone charger cables slip right through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here are the dimensions not mentioned in the description, April 18, 2013
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Cord Catch, Satin Chrome (Kitchen)
I bought this to keep cables from falling off the back of my desk without using any glued-on cable clips. Overall, I'm satisfied -- it is heavy enough to do its job, and is simple metal and rubber with a good smooth finish. I have used it at various times to retain audio and power cables, as well as an older-model Kensington MicroSaver laptop lock cable (which it is heavy enough to hold down quite solidly).

As many other reviewers have noted, this device will not work if your cord's plug is small enough to slip through lengthwise. The opening at the rear is tapered and rounded, but is roughly 11 mm (0.44 in) high by 6.5 mm (0.26 in) wide.

Furthermore, it is far better at catching a cable at the plug end (i.e. preventing it from sliding off a table lengthwise), than at permanently holding the cable itself. The slot at the top is 4.91 mm (0.193 in) at its narrowest point. Cables with a smaller diameter than that can be easily lifted out or set in. Cables larger than that must be squeezed into the slot; since it's all-metal, the slot cannot be pulled open wider.

To reiterate, I do not think that you should expect this product to hold the cable in the middle of its length; it instead lets the cable slip back so that its plug is caught. However, it is very convenient if you have small cables such as audio cables or charging cables which you wish to set aside while they are unplugged and then take entirely out when in use -- it can even reasonably hold more than one such cable.

Weight: 132 g (4 5/8 oz).

If you're looking for something that grips cords more permanently and does not let them slide through, then I suggest looking at Quirky Cordies instead, which uses flexible rubber grips. Not as shiny, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for certain cords not all, January 26, 2011
ifelse (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Cord Catch, Satin Chrome (Kitchen)
A little hit and miss. Several cords I tried did not fit. Great fit for the Blackberry mini/micro usb charger so I'm assuming most other similar size cords will also fit nicely in the recess. The ones that slip out: iPhone (prob any apple usb), Kindle - probably not your best choice. It does have a nice weight to it and rubber on the underside so there's no reason it should fall off your desk/nightstand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cords to not stay put, January 17, 2014
thirdmonster (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Hoping these would solve our problem with cords falling off bedside table. Didn't work. They're nice, and heavy, and I would love if they worked, but the opening at the top and the slippery nature of the steel just lets cords slip through. And if you have the new iPhone or iPad with a lightning cord, just forget about it. The cord will simply slip out the back and end up on the floor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but..., September 26, 2013
Really well made. It's heavy, shiny chrome, and solid, but my cables fall out of it. I still like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars OXO grip sucks - don't waste your money, June 29, 2013
J. Sirko "JMS" (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Cord Catch, Satin Chrome (Kitchen)
The opening is too wide, my iPhone 5 cable just slips through. It's fine for a old wide iPhone cable but newer micro USB or iPhone cables slip right through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, November 2, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Cord Catch, Satin Chrome (Kitchen)
I never thought I'd get so much use out of one item. I use it daily and it prevents that annoying issue of cords slipping behind the furniture. Currently, I'm using this item to hold my cell phone charging cord & laptop charging cord on my nightstand. It's got just enough weight to stay in place but easy to move when necessary & it doesn't take up too much room.

Con: Wish the item was slightly larger to allow room for more cords. My laptop charging cord is pretty bulky & I wouldn't anticipate using more than one cord catch in certain locations.

Rate and Discover Movies