Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Color: Black|Change

VINE VOICEon June 24, 2007
I own a Pampered Chef cherry pitter, so I really didn't need another. The problem with the old one is that you'd have a fine splatter of cherry juice nearby and eventually your hand would hurt. Oxo has solved both issues! The splatter guard is wonderful and the grip really does cushion your hand. Bonus -- dishwasher safe and locks for storage! It also works on olives.

Kudos to the Oxo team for making some solid product impovements! I'm passing my old Pampered Chef one down the family line.
0Comment|247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2009
When I was a kid, we pitted buckets of sour pie cherries every year. We froze them and Mom made pies all winter long. So I consider myself an expert on pitting cherries. I bought the pitter because I had a gift certificate I needed to use and because I like gadgets. This one works ok. It generally gets the pit out. But it is messy and time consuming.

I went back to my old tried and true pitting tool...A paper clip. Just insert the clip where the stem was, push it down and under the pit. Then scoop/pull/flick the pit back up through the stem hole. Use a small paper clip for sour pie cherries, and a big paper clip for sweet red cherries or Queen Anne cherries. It is way less messy than the OXO pitter, because the only hole is at the top of the cherry. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you...
4242 comments|440 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2007
I've never used another cherry pitter before but this one works perfectly every time. I bought it so I could quickly pit cherries for my kids. I like how it locks closed for storage. The shield comes off to wash. Effortless pitting, and while it does splatter, it is awesome. Makes the sink look like a crime scene.
on July 10, 2007
This is my first and probably my last cherry pitter. It's simple to use and works great. The splash shield contains almost the squirting juice. It makes a satisfying click when the pit is gone.
on July 25, 2009
I LOVE this tool. I eat a lot of cherries and I've always felt like I had to hide in my living room because of the obviously less than glamorous method of getting rid of the pits. This makes it so easy AND if you want to make a sauce with fresh cherries or put cherries into a fruit salad this saves you a ton of the otherwise manual labor and time spent that used to be involved in those processes. Here's a tip by the way - you get a nicer, cleaner hole if you put the cherry in upside down with the stem through the bottom of the splash guard - this also saves you the trouble of stemming the cherries.
on July 29, 2007
I previously owned 2(!) Leifheit Pro Line cherry pitters because that's the only pitter of this kind the local stores carry. With each, the plunger fell out at the first use. Finally I got this OXO cherry pitter at Amazon, where I could see on the picture that the plunger cannot fall out. I just used it, and it's really nice to use, the splatter shield helps reducing the splatter, it's easy to clean and store. It very efficiently takes the pit out of medium size firm cherries. When cherries are very big or softer, the pit might stay connected with the cherry and it's a little harder to get it out when the splatter shield is attached. This is a minor inconvenience though and not a complaint. Altogether the OXO did it's job very well and I did not have to hammer the plunger back in only to find it go out with the next cherry again.
11 comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2011
The Oxo cherry pitter is beautifully designed, but poorly engineered. The hinge is made of plastic and mine broke after a few months of light, occasional use. I bought this to replace a less elegant cast aluminum pitter that couldn't go in the dishwasher. I'm glad I kept the metal model. The Oxo pitter's beauty is only skin deep.
on February 6, 2012
I love this thing. The splash guard works pretty well...just buy this one. I did the research and this one is the top dog. Find a good price on it and buy this one. It made feeding our baby daughter cherrys a fun time instead of a pain in the neck trying to cut around the seed time. Just buy this one and you will thank me for it. Oh, one more detail---it works better when you push the pits into a bowl rather than onto a plate...just my 2 cents.
on July 1, 2008
I love this cherry pitter. I used to have an older style that my grandmother used. On this pitter, the top of the rod that actually pushed the pit out looked sort of like the control end of a dental syringe. It wasn't great, but it was a hell of a lot easier than trying to push pits out with a wooden skewer. When I went to replace that pitter, I was a little dazed by sticker shock (I expected to find one similar to the one I used to have and pay maybe $5-6). I only found this model but was desperate and forked over the money. Well, it turned out to be worth every penny. I bought 4 lbs. of cherries because they were on sale and I wanted to make some pies. I pitted the entire batch in about 40 minutes. Amazing! Ten minutes per pound -- and that was on my first run while I was still working on my technique of using the device. I'm very happy with this pitter. :) Works well on the few varieties of olives I've tried too.
on June 24, 2011
If you can get great quality cherries that are firm and large this product works excellently. The dimensions of the device are clearly made for this kind of cherry. If you plan on pitting slightly more ripe (softer) or smaller (sour, for example) cherries, the pitter it still works but it requires a bit more careful setup before you actually press the pitter down. Important to note if you're planning on pitting quite a few cherries for a project!