5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Hand Can Opener I've EVER Used
I love this thing. I have an electric can opener as well, but since we got one of these for Christmas, the electric opener hardly gets used. This is easy for people with weak wrists because it locks closed. Also, the magnet is handy to have.

Be warned. The product description states that this is dishwasher safe, but the Oxo website says handwash only:...
Published on March 27, 2005 by David E. Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Oxo Can Opener
Published on April 5, 2008 by FHC, Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Hand Can Opener I've EVER Used, March 27, 2005

[...]

I have lots of high school students that drop by the house and help cook from time to time. They all love this thing. Ever seen youth excited about opening cans? I have since we got this.

From a guy that loves gadgets, this is one of my favorite toys in the kitchen. It is a bit pricey, but worth it if you want to splurge a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars No doubt the best can opener out there, July 2, 2007
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
It's so nice to not get your hands dirty when you're opening a can of sauce. Between the smooth edges and the magnet, you can be sure that this is a safe and mess-free purchase.

In the beginning, I worried that I was being suckered for my love of gadgets.(Side bar- the OXO peeler probably isn't worth your while, though the grip is nice it's not 'there' like this product.) However, this one really has gone the distance. I have owned it for nearly 3 years and without regrets. I'm buying one for my grandmother who fell in love with it during her visit and maybe in another year I'll replace this one.

The only improvement I'd make is that it should be easier to clean. It's comparable to other can openers in that way. But in every other way it's a fabulous, well-worth it buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Kitchen Tool!, May 13, 2006
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
The electric can opener....which screwed cans up more often than not anyway...now goes to the trash heap. This Oxo opener is fantastic. I can't even believe I'm writing a review on a can opener of all things, but this thing is just amazing. Works effortlessly and with no mess at all. Forget electric: this is the way to go!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Get It!!, December 23, 2009
Ellen A. Hopps "Ellen" (North Babylon, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
Just Bite The Bullet ....
and order this can opener. If your looking at this review then you are looking for an opener that really works without killing your arm and hands, without having to start and stop when it decides it's not going to cut the lid in that spot, etc.
If you have a reason, I've been there!
I have wasted enough money on other inferior can openers that I could have purchased two of these! IT IS THE BEST!!!!!
It easily cuts (neatly) any size tin cans and in one try and the handy little built in magnet really holds the lid so you don't have to start reaching for it in the can to cut yourself. It doesn't leave a trail of metal shavings in your product.
I love it and wished I hadn't waited so long ... I have arthritis in both hands and this one makes opening a can a breeze instead of a struggle. If you can't justify the cost, have someone buy it for you for a gift! I can't say enough good things about this opener ... It a 10 STAR Product!!
BTW ... I looked everywhere for this product locally and online, and either they didn't have it or the the price was much higher ... get it Amazon (the best price I found) and save a search, aggravation, a trip and gas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great manual can opener, August 9, 2007
J. Tramel (Modesto, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
Who woulda thought buying a can opener could be such a challenge. There are so many different ones to choose from! I own some other OXO Good Grips kitchen tools and am pleased with them, so I finally settled on this opener. I'm glad I did. I have arthritis in my hands so I appreciate that the handles lock into place. (The handle locking mechanism is also helpful when storying the opener.) The opener blade is sharp and opens cans smoothly and with little effort. The lid magnet is handy as well. I have not tried washing the can opener in the dishwasher; it's so easy to just rinse it under running water after each use. I highly recommend this can opener, especially to anyone with arthritis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect can opener, but being discontinued!!, March 26, 2010
Busy Mom (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
EDIT Sept 28, 2012: Today I called Oxo because this model is suddenly unavailable at most locations. Oxo told me it has just been discontinued. So if--like me--you love this can opener, please call Oxo customer service at (800)545-4411 and ask them to continue making this model. It has far out-performed any can opener I've ever had. It is also easy on the wrist and takes up less space in my drawer than other models. (End of edit).

The original review: I'm back to buy a second one, in case Oxo discontinues this model. (Oxo: Please don't ever stop making this!) Our family of six has been using this opener for almost 2 years now, and it's still performing flawlessly. We rarely eat out and I cook a LOT, so we've gone through MANY can openers over the years (some as expensive as this one), and all were a disappointment: they only worked well for a short time. Until I found this one, I was starting to conclude that adequate can openers didn't exist anymore. But this one blows the others out of the water! I love the way it locks shut for compact storage (it takes far less drawer space than our previous openers), and especially the way it opens any can effortlessly. My daughters and I have weak wrists, and this is finally an opener that doesn't cause us pain or stress. It's easy to rinse clean under running water.

This *IS* the very can opener that was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated after their extensive testing. I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated online, and I just checked: it's still their top can opener in their July 2009 ratings titled "More Essential Kitchen Equipment." (BTW, I highly recommend subscribing to CI not only for their huge number of helpful equipment reviews but also for the helpful, authoritative articles & videos on cooking methods). CI's most recent actual testing of manual can openers was in Oct. 2008, at which time they top-rated this model and said it "blows the lid off the competition."

This is Model 1057941, which is the one top-rated by CI. CI commented: "Because it is a traditional opener, this model leaves a lid with sharp edges (its only downfall), but minimizes potential danger with a magnet that allows neat and safe lid disposal." My family's experience bears that out: thanks to this opener's features, we have not cut ourselves on sharp edges since buying it.

Note: This Oxo opener has worked perfectly for us on everything from tiny 6-oz tomato paste cans to big 2-1/2 -pound kidney bean cans. But I have NOT tried using it on huge # 10 cans (the long-term-storage size that holds over a gallon). Several years ago I discovered that even a brand-new good-quality can opener would never work well again for regular & smaller cans if I did that. Maybe the # 10 cans spread the mechanism too far apart. So for # 10 cans, I just use an old opener that I "ruined" long ago on # 10 cans....it won't open any other size of can, of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Easy 4 star Plus! Missed 1 important Law, August 14, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
I originally gave this 3 stars thinking that there was not a release lid button after you open the can and that you have to take the lid off the magnet with your fingers. But thanks to a Great comment below there is a lid release botton on the topn of the can opener!!!

It's great and If they would have made it not a sharpe edge lid can opner cut and went with the safe lid I can see Moms and Dads welcoming this into there homes with kids.

Positives

1. The easiest Manual Can opener on the Market.

2. Simple to lock on.

3. No more lid falling on the ground. Thanks to the Magnet

4. Last but not least, SUPER Fast to open a can!

Ok so the negatives.

1. It leaves the lid sharp edged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Can Opener!!!!, March 1, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
This can opener is a must have for every kitchen!!!!!!! It is without a doubt the best can opener you will ever buy. It is fun to use. Love the little magnet that holds the lid. No more having to reach into the can to pull the lid out. Really like the way the opener locks when you have it placed correctly on the can. Highly recommend this GREAT can opener. You won't be sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great can opener!, September 6, 2007
sdg13 "Avid cook" (Katonah, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
I purchased this after doing alot of research to replace my rusty old swing away opener. Not having alot of storage space in my kitchen, I need the best and most efficient tools I can afford. This OXO opener fits the bill totally, it's easy to use and opens cans beautifully and even hold the top with a magnet. Easy to clean...my only gripe is that it's bulkier than my old one. Highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oxo Can Opener, April 5, 2008
FHC, Inc. (Pompano Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Magnetic Locking Can Opener (Kitchen)
This device appears at first to be an excellent product. However, very soon after I acqauired the product, two errors occurred: (i) the magnetic lid device began to malfunction, since the cutter did not sever the lids all the way around; (ii) and more importantly the product fell apart after two months, because the small pin at the top of the product holding the two halves of the product together fell out or otherwise failed. I was able to reassemble the two halves by reinserting the pin and fumbling around and finally reseating the two halves. However, at this price, such failure so early in the product's useful life is unacceptable.

Rate and Discover Movies