Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Package Quantity: 1|Size: Set of 1|Change

on February 6, 2010
I doubt the blue-bloods at the country club will be impressed by this cocktail shaker - it's essentially a thermos cup with a different lid on it - bit for those looking for a functional cocktail shaker to whip up yourself and/or your significant other cocktails a few nights a week, this does fit the bill. And the price is right. The item is all plastic with the exception of the strainer built into the shaker top (it's metal) which explains the low price. The shaker top and lid do have a 'rubberized' feel to them, so even though the item is plastic, it doesn't feel like it is as cheaply made as it actually probably is.

The design is just like every other cocktail shaker, consisting of the cup, the shaker top/strainer and the lid which also doubles as a jigger. (I don't actually use the jigger. For that, I cannot recommend more highly the 2 oz. OXO Mini Angled Measuring cup, but it does have the basic bar measurements of 3/4 Oz, 1 oz. and 1 1/2 oz. printed on the inside).

The 'plusses' IMHO: 1. Your hands don't become frostbitten when you are shaking a cocktail. The Thermal properties keep the cold inside and your hands comfortable. 2. It's also not as noisy as traditional metal/glass shakers. 3. The shaker is very easy to assemble/disassemble. The pieces just slide together (neither the shaker top nor the lid is threaded). They come apart easily as well. I've personally never leaked a drop while using this, but I do suspect that if you just wildly shook this thing you may have an issue. Common sense tells you to use your index finger to keep light pressure on the lid while shaking it.

The drawbacks? It holds just 16 ounces. My martini glasses hold 9.5 ounces and my Collins glasses hold 15 ounces, so you're pretty much going to be making one cocktail at a time using this item. It's also handwash only. These two things caused me to downgrade from 5 to 4 stars.
33 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2010
My former cocktail shaker is an all-metal beauty, but it gets super cold quickly which makes it very difficult to open and unpleasant to hold.

This shaker from OXO solves those problems. It's always simple to open and never gets too cold to handle with bare hands. It also feels sturdy, and I get the feeling I'll be using it for a long time.

My only complaint is that it's not dishwasher safe according to the instructions.
on October 18, 2010
I've had this product for about a month so far and have used it maybe a half-dozen times. I have yet to spill, leak, or otherwise mess the drink in any way so far. Other shakers have leaked or spilled some even with minor use, so I am impressed with the results so far. And considering the price (and the fact the shaker is essentially insulated), it is well worth the purchase.
on February 3, 2011
First, I am *not* a mixed drinks/spirits connoisseur. I bought this because my metal shaker was too hard to open once it got cold. This shaker doesn't have that problem. I like it much better!
The only reason I gave it only 4 stars is that I drip a little after I take the lid off. That may be user error, though. It's nothing that gets to an annoying point or makes me want to quit using this.
For me, this is much better than a metal shaker.
on December 12, 2013
Looking for an extra coctail shaker, have a glass one now and did not want to spend a lot for another one in glass or metal. For the price this is a great item. Seals tight, light weight, and easy to open. You can't go wrong with this one. Would like to see them make a larger one maybe 24 oz, but this holds 16 oz. which is fine.
on March 19, 2014
I HATE metal shakers because they're impossible to open. This one is perfect. The only downside is that I'm drinking more cocktails than I should...
on December 7, 2013
This is a great inexpensive tumblr. I just started mixing my own drinks, and this was the first tumblr I bought. And now that I have it, I don't think I need another one! It's a big one, so I never worry about running out of space. It's plastic, so it doesn't sweat and my hands don't freeze. It's also got a strainer, so that's always helpful especially depending on what you're mixing.

And my favorite: The little cap has measuring lines for .75, 1, and 1.5 ounces! That's awesome! There's no guesswork! And it's very easy to clean - just handwash in warm water (so you don't risk warping any rubber, or whatever I've seen in other reviews for this product). Definitely do not dump this in the dishwasher.

It's true that it's sometimes hard to open, but it's not impossible. And it's not even THAT difficult. It's a little difficult, yes, but not prohibitively so in the least. And it doesn't lessen my love for this product, which is what matters. If you're on the fence, I think you should try it. You might disagree with me about it not being too difficult to open but even if you do, you're only out $10. It's not like you bought a super fancy one and were unhappy with it and out the $30 or $40. This is an inexpensive plastic tumblr and I think it's a great product at a great price.
on May 11, 2014
I've been very happy with this inexpensive shaker. The lid (lower seam) fits very tightly and the top cap comes off with ease. If not abused, it will last for a long time.

I vastly prefer this to a metal shaker for several reasons: the shaker doesn't get freezing cold, the cap doesn't fuse itself to the lid, it doesn't get spotty from soap, etc. The cap also doubles as a jigger of sorts, allowing you to quickly measure out shots.

The lid does require a bit of finesse to take off, but that's the price you pay for making it not leak, I guess. I'm 5' 6", about 170 lbs. and I've never had trouble to the point of spilling my drink. Grab the top and pry to the side.

I've only hand-washed mine in near 120 degree water. It's plastic... it's not going to hold up to very high temperatures or whacking it against a counter. If not abused, it should last for a long time. The plastic feels quite sturdy.
on June 25, 2012
I hate writing a negative review for an OXO product because they're usually so well made. I have several OXO tools in my kitchen, and they're usually the ones that last. Not this shaker. Sadly, after only three or four light uses the outer plastic developed a huge crack and the unit had to be thrown away.

This was despite hand washing the shaker...and it was never hit against anything, so I'm not sure why it fell apart like it did. I would guess it has to do with construction. The shaker has two plastic layers - an internal cup and an outer plastic shell separated by an air barrier. Both layers are extremely thin, perhaps leading to the untimely destruction of mine.

This is too bad - the pros to the item are compelling. Being plastic, you don't freeze your fingers the way you do with metal shakers. And the lids fit snugly on, allowing for fast, efficient cocktail making.

The con seems to be a deal-killer, though. Cocktail shakers get...well...shaken, and therefore it might not be good to make them out of brittle, thin plastic. Save your money and invest in a better constructed item.
review image
on March 24, 2011
I love most of OXO products. This for me was just ok. The price sold me, and it looks nice. And at first glance, it does look nice. But functionally, it's definitely nothing exciting to use. I've had some problems getting the top back on it quickly. Often find myself using plastic cups to mix drinks in, and really wouldn't buy this again. Taking up space in my kitchen, and I wish I would of splurged on a nicer quality shaker.