Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Package Quantity: 1|Size: Small|Change

on May 26, 2010
I mostly use pastry brushes for just that: brushing melted butter over pastry specifically filo. I was really getting sick of the bristles shedding from my traditional bristle brush and was hoping that this brush would help. Well it does accomplish that: there is no shedding whatsoever. However, it is not as gentle as a bristle brush and pulls and tears the filo. It also doesn't spread the butter on the pastry nicely, more like uneven streaks. It seems to hold a fair amount of butter but the amount that actually gets deposited on the brushing surface is small. It is easy to clean though, so I'll give it a point for that.

So if you're buying this to use for actual baking/pastry applications, I'd say this is not a good brush for you. However if you're using it for brushing melted butter on a pan, waffle iron, etc. then this brush would be fine for the job.
1111 comments|165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2012
I hate silicone basting brushes, or I did. I found them as useful using a knife to baste with. They're sloppy, you cannot evenly baste anything and you end up using more oil or whatever you're using then if you used a real bristle brush or a spoon.

This one is okay. I'm not going to call it great, but it's better than most. The photo here is misleading. It looks (keyword is LOOKS) like the "bristles" are much more tiny than that of a usual silicone basting brush. The few that exist are indeed smaller, which is the whole point of a brush being a brush. However, the pictures do not show you the yellow blocks of silicone, with holes in it, in the center. I just uploaded two pictures to demonstrate.

It appears to be an attempt to hold more oil (or basting substance) at a time so as to make basting more even. It's a good idea and I will say that it does help a little, but a real brush still wins over this one.

I will use it since I have nothing better, but I was still a bit disappointed. All in all I would recommend this to others, but with caution that it still isn't the perfect brush.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon January 30, 2008
Leave it to OXO to perfect the pastry brush. Silicone always beats natrual bristles because you don't end up with bristles stuck in your food and you can thoroughly clean the brush. Put it in the dishwasher if you want. Try that with a natural bristle brush and you will have a clumpy mess on your hands.

The downside of silicone brushes is that they don't hold the liquid very well. OXO has solved this by adding a layer of silicone between the bristles that suspends the liquid. The liquid is released by the pressure of brushing the food. Cook's Illustrated likens the technology to the bubble wands we used to play with as kids. Who knew?!!

The brush feels comfortable in my hand. Although it is not as nimble as bristle brushes or my William Bounds Sili Gourment, this brush has replaced the William Bounds Sili Gourmet brushes as my favorite.
on February 28, 2008
I bought this brush almost two weeks ago and I liked it so much that I decided to write my first review ever.

If you've ever used a natural bristle pastry brush, you know this is an item you will have to replace again and again because the bristles will start to clump up over time and retain odors. Not to mention the shedding.

This brush is amazing! For its trial run, I used it to spread olive oil over a chicken I was roasting. This brush picked up all the oil and coated the chicken nicely. Clean-up was also enjoyable as no soaking in soapy water required. This brush cleans up in a jiff.

I'll still keep a regular pastry brush for delicate jobs such as brushing cake molds with chocolate but this new brush will be used for the messier jobs.
on December 21, 2009
The Product Dimensions: 10 x 4.2 x 1 inches listed for Item model number: 1071062 are wrong. This actually measures 7.5 x 1.5 (brush head width) x 1/2 inches.

Good product although I made the mistake of also using it to baste chicken and it retained the odor. I may have to get another one to use exclusively for pastry.
on December 19, 2009
The first time I tried using this brush was to butter my ramekins for Panna Cotta. I usually reach for my bristle pastry brush. I had to go back to it since the silicone bristles of the Oxo was too soft for the butter unless it was melted. It should definitely work better with liquids with the small silicone loops under the silicone bristles. Clean up so far has been easier than with regular bristle brushes (dries faster, no staining, and doesn't remain greasy after cleaning).

PROS: Easier to wash clean and dry. Doesn't stain.

CONS: Wimpy silicone means you have to have a liquid for this brush to work.
on November 30, 2008
For buttering pans, it's OK I guess. It cleans SOOO much better than traditional brushes--which is why I got it. Might be better for glazes and thicker liquids.

I guess the same things that make it good for cleaning make it mediocre for brushing. I'm not throwing out my old bristle brushes yet, but I'm not throwing this one out either.
VINE VOICEon May 16, 2009
I have been using mine mostly for oils. It picks up a decent amount for oiling a pan, mould or wok. It is non absorbent, inside the bristles are strips with holes which hold liquid for the bristles to distribute. That takes a little getting used to as it is quite different from a bristle brush--it picks up more and distributes faster. Its great for making pastries with oils like almond, sesame, walnut etc. It also does very well with glazes, but I would not try it with any thick material; but that's what a spatula is for any how.

Cleanup is easy and you don't have to use the dish washer but it is fine in the dishwasher; unlike the bristle brushes which degrade.

One feature that no one else has mentioned is that the bristles angle to one side so you can lay the brush down without getting oil or whatever on the counter or plate.
on November 4, 2009
When I read "pastry" brush, I thought this would be quite dainty and I was considering buying the larger model. I am glad I did not as this brush is quite beefy. (see my video review) I haven't used for any basting yet, but like most of Oxo products it looks and feels well made.
33 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2007
the magazine "cooks illustrated" (a consumers reports of cooking) recomended this brush. they liked that the bristles would not warp and that it will hold alot of basting liquid in it's bristles. they rated it first among other basting brushes.
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse