4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive good ice bucket
Published 18 months ago by J. B Kraft

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Not Warm Up To This Ice Bucket
This ice bucket is great looking and does its job well.
The tongs work great with their teeth grips and rubberized handle.
The size is perfect for a party of 12 or less.
The cover is attached to the bucket, which is a nice feature.

Published 18 months ago by Lisa Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Not Warm Up To This Ice Bucket, October 12, 2012
Lisa Baker (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: OXO Good Grips Steel Ice Bucket and Tongs Set, Silver (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This ice bucket is great looking and does its job well.
The tongs work great with their teeth grips and rubberized handle.
The size is perfect for a party of 12 or less.
The cover is attached to the bucket, which is a nice feature.

The one downside (beside the price) is the clear but tinted, plastic cover. OXO says the reasoning behind this "clear" cover is to be able to see the amount of ice left in the bucket.
Well, unless you're outside during the day or in a well-lit party (is there such a thing?), you're going to lift the cover to see the ice level and that defeats its purpose. Plus, I would rather have an insulated cover that will keep the ice longer than the thin plastic cover.

At $50, it is a little pricey for the size, although it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive good ice bucket, October 1, 2012
J. B Kraft "lonestargazer" (Palestine, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own the older version of this ice bucket, so I was interested to see how this one would stack up with the changes. We use our Oxo buckets two ways -- first, to store cubed or crushed ice at a party for convenience at our bar, and second to chill wine or champagne at the table. It is very important to note that this ice bucket -- the new design unlike the older design does not have a removable clear plastic lid. While in my estimation this is not a huge problem serving, it will just be standing up if you are using the bucket as a wine chiller. Also, the ability to completely remove the top has been very convenient when trying to fill the old version at a hotel ice machine or even quickly from our icemakers. The size is not huge and should be easy to accommodate on the average table for 4 or 6, or in a buffet line.

Esthetically, in my opinion it looks much better than the older model. The "modernist" and function stainless steel finish would look attractive on any table in all but the most formal circumstances. This would be a great wedding gift for a couple starting out, because it is quite practical. The handle tightly closes onto the bucket, so it's both out of the way and unnoticed when it's not needed.

From a design standpoint, the included tongs now lock closed for storage which is a good feature, and can hang on the outside of the bucket if you are using it for cubed ice. Of course, in the old model they did not lock, but had a little storage holster that hung on the top of the bucket and fell or was knocked off frequently. On the other hand, the holster kept the tongs from dripping so much water on the table or whatever is beneath the bucket. These tongs will drip down the outside, and so (at a party) you might want to put a large tray underneat unless you are set up on a waterproof service.

I've never noticed a sweating or dripping problem with either model. As a coctail enthusiast, I would say if you fill these buckets and put the covers on them, you will have to empty and refil them about every 45 minutes to make sure your ice is really cold enough so it just doesn't water down your drinks. I recommend using a Coleman "ultra" ice chest with plenty of fresh crused ice just out of sight for the part just for the purposes of cocktails and drinks. That will keep the ice clean and cold, where it can easily be replentished, and allow you to quickly refil the OXO. The Oxo would be quicker to refil if the clear plastic top came off like the older model, but that's a minor inconvenience. You can still do it -- it's just more awkward than it should be.

RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant full sized ice bucket and tongs, September 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been needing a good ice bucket for a long time now. I live in the tropics and we need our pina coladas, margaritas, and other assorted beverages freshened with ice every fifteen minutes or so if we are outside. It gets so tiring trapsing back and forth to the fridge for ice, particularly during parties.

I recently started serving drinks in stainless steel "glasses" to keep them cold longer. I found that the stainless steel immediately chills down to icey coldness when I place anything cold in it, and it keeps whats inside cold for hours. It gets so cold, in fact, that it makes it a bit difficult to hold the container, as it is so cold on the outside.
So I was delighted to find this attractive brushed stainless steel ice bucket with matching tongs.

This pretty ice bucket will come to the pool with my family and our beverages, where it will sit with us under an umbrella in the shade and keep our drinks chilly. It is large enough to hold a full days supply of ice for several thirsty people.

I love the way the lid is clear so I can see how much ice is left inside. I also like the way the tongs attach to the side of the bucket so they don't get lost. There is quality here which is evident at first glance. The double wall construction keeps ice from melting, even in 90 degree heat for about six plus hours. They seem to have thought of everything, including an insert in the bottom that catches the melted ice water to keep the ice elevated above it.

The lid is wonderful also, the way it flips up and closes very securely. They even put some very soft tactile rubbery covering on the handle, so it doesn't get too cold to hold, and also some on the base so metal doesn't touch your table, and the ice bucket doesn't slide around.

This is a large ice bucket, one of the largest I've seen, at four quarts. It holds a lot of ice!

I love well designed, well thought out, beautiful, practical products. OXO is consistent in it's high quality and great design. This earns my highest mark for it's elegance and functionality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional with a nice stainless steel on black look, November 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Decent looking and keeps ice for hours! It has stainless steel sides but more black plastic than I expected, including the top, bottom, and entire interior. I suppose if it were stainless steel on the inside (as I expected) it might not keep the ice as cold! There are large grooves on the bottom of the interior to collect any melt water and keep it off the ice.

The rubber edge around the bottom keeps it from sliding on a smooth surface. There are also rubber grips on the handle and ice tongs which add a nice feel. The tongs hang fron the side of either hinge on the bucket. They can be locked closed with a sliding tab near the tong hinge, and can be hung either opened or closed. They fit nicely inside the bucket for storage - no losing these in a drawer!

The lid is a dark smoke color but transparent enough to see how much ice is left without opening. The lid seals completely to keep in the cold air, even under the lid handle. There's even a little tab on the back that holds the handle horizontal when pushed back for a nice look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, September 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I just received my new OXO ice bucket yesterday and I would like to review it since Amazon sent it to me to review. At first sight it is beautiful, it is sleek and has a brushed metal coating so, no finger prints. It comes with a pair of tongs and they are very sturdy and has extremely tough teeth. The only thing that I find I do not like is the cover, I have had many ice buckets over the years and most of the covers are thick and insulted, this is not, it is just a thin piece of plastic.
I tested it out yesterday, at 11:30 AM. I filled it up half way with ice, the regular size that comes from an ice maker. I only opened it a few times during the day to simulate normal use.
After about 12 hours I was getting ready to retire I checked it again. Not bad at all, there was plenty of ice in the bucket, there is a slotted bottom that allows the water to wick away from the ice. When I got up in the morning I did not expect any ice and of course there was non but I was surprised to find the water was ice cold. I am very pleased with this item, thank you Amazon for offering this as a review item it will be something I will be able to use for many years to come for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bucket is nice, top too cheap--cheapens whole product, November 15, 2012
TC (NC, United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you entertain a lot it would be nice to have a quality ice bucket. It does take up a lot of space so if you only entertain a couple times a year or have limited space you wouldn't want it.

It works great--ice stays chilled throughout the few hours of a party. The tongs are nice and can be used for things other than just the ice bucket.

The drawback to me is the lid. It seems very flimsy and could be easy to break off and it is easy to scratch. It takes away from the appearance of the bucket significantly. It looks like a lid for a $20 bucket was thrown on this expensive bucket!! It gives it a very unfinished appearance.

The tongs do attach to the bucket but I don't use them that way. I store them separately.

I give 5 stars for the bucket and 1 star for the lid. Compromise at 3 stars as it does work and serves its purpose. Aesthetically, the bucket itself is very attractive but that lid really detracts from it.

Another reason for the 3 stars....I was given this through the Vine program but I would never purchase this on my own. I would seek out a bucket with a nicer lid or a cheap bucket if i didn't care about appearances. This misses the mark for high end and low end.

4.0 out of 5 stars ice bucket, October 28, 2013
It is very functional, I love the way the ice is out of the water. The tongs do hang on the side pretty well and the fact that the lid is attached. No more lids (the inside) on counters and then touching the ice with debris.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 20, 2013
It is excellent. The cover does not interfere with the ice when I open. It is comfortable. I understand that this is the enhanced version of another model they have. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, nice looking, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This ice bucket replaces an old yellow plastic ice bucket that I've been using for years. The smoky lid allows you to see if you need to refill it as you're dashing by it. Ice stays well formed with little meltage. It's a well made product that I'm proud to show off at any gathering.
It's very pretty & functional; what more could you ask for?

3.0 out of 5 stars Stylish!, October 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the look and feel of this product. I don't entertain much, but when I do I find that making ice available in a nice looking manner is generally difficult. This bucket looks good, and holds enough ice that I do not have to refill it that often.

ARRAY(0xd98ad798)