5.0 out of 5 stars Great mandoline slicer!
Published on September 2, 2009 by Lisa Jordan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great design
Update #2: I finally threw in the towel and bought a new Swissmar Borner V-1001 V-Slicer Plus Mandoline. For a while, I did continue to use the OXO as a dedicated onion chopper, but soon switched completely to the Borner and trashed the OXO. I'm very happy with the Borner V-Slicer.

Published on December 15, 2009 by verygooddog

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mandoline slicer!, September 2, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
We purchased this mandoline after it "won" the top spot on America's Test Kitchen's product reviews, over products that were much more expensive. America's Test Kitchen was considering safety features, as well as good slicing and convenience. It does have great safety features (which is a good thing, because those blades are SHARP!!!) And it works as well at slicing ripe tomatoes (which many mandolines mangle) as it does at slicing onions or potatoes. Great product, and yet another example of Oxo's great product design!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product; lifetime warranty (for real!), January 5, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
We loved the OXO mandoline and used it religiously for around 8 months. We received the present as a gift for our wedding and my wife, being Thai, used it liberally to make spicy papaya salad (som tum). The blades stayed sharp, the depth planer worked well, and we made french fries as well and it worked beautifully. One sad day came however when the depth adjuster fell apart and the slicer would no longer hold its depth. We looked into getting a replacement...

... until I noticed on the box that there's a lifetime warranty and replacement policy. We emailed OXO on December 24th, and on December 26th emailed an email that they were willing to replace our slicer with a new one. We received the replacement yesterday- brand new and ready to fresh vegetables into small uniform pieces!

This is my first review, but I feel like I should publicize a good deed when it's done, especially from a corporation. Thanks OXO, from a frequent buyer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, November 10, 2012
Brian Foreman (Lincoln, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
I just bought this slicer retail because I wanted to slice onions for burgers, and doing it with a knife always yields wedges instead of slices...so I ran to the store and bought this one. I walked out thinking I'd probably just thrown away $40, but wanted to at least try it out.

It set up quickly, and then I figured out the food-holder---the first thing that impressed me: It has a central set of skewers to hold the food, and a central plate that pushes the food back OFF the spikes (and out of the hollow interior) as you slice. There is a deep round hollow for tomatoes and onions; a second, more oblong area that is obviously for potatoes, and yet a third shallow area for things like cucumbers and zucchinis. It's really quite well-done, and learning to use it is *mandatory*. The people slicing their own fingers off are the inspiration for warning labels like "remove occupants from stroller before folding" and "do not look into laser with remaining eye".

So I put in the onion, ran it down the ramp, and out dropped a perfect slice. Up and down the ramp 10 or 12 more times and the whole onion was there on my cutting board, every slice as perfect as the others. Then came the tomato, with exactly the same results. I rinsed the slicer off in the sink and set it on a towel to dry, thoroughly impressed. In fact, I freaking LOVE this thing!

Quick tip: before you use it, give the ramp a quick spritz with some spray cooking oil (e.g, Pam). This will prevent the very first pass from sticking on the dry ramp. (Once the ramp is wet from food, you won't need to do this again, but otherwise that first pass feels awkward and maybe even dangerous because your food doesn't want to move.)

Then, learn how to use the food-holder and use it. If it seems clumsy, you're not using it right. You have to push down on the top "pusher" part to keep the food coming down out of the hollow part. Somehow this just seemed to happen naturally for me, but if it doesn't for you, learn how.

I don't expect to use the other blades, so not having to fuss with changing those probably made my experience even better, but I do like that they're neatly stored inside the case. I even changed them once just to see how hard it was, and it took me a minute to figure it out, but it wasn't hard; in fact, once I saw how it worked, I'd call it ingenious.

In short, this was a great purchase that I'll use every time I grill out: it's just the perfect tool for thin slicing just about anything, and if you want crinkles or strings, it does them. Great job, Oxo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent results - with one small bit of help., February 16, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
** UPDATE 02-16-2011 ** I noticed an additional item in the picture of the slicer. It's part of the accessory "Cubing Set" from Oxo (P/N 1136800), and is not included with the original purchase. It's designed to make larger cuts, is available from Oxo.com (not sure about Amazon) for $9.99 plus shipping. I've ordered one and will review it later.

Received my Oxo mandoline slicer yesterday and immediately tried it out. . . on one of the toughest vegetables to slice: a tomato.

PROS:
Some people's reviews have complained that the slicer was "sticky." That's caused by the dry plastic food guide. Dip the tip of your finger in olive or cooking oil and spread a very light film of oil on the ramp where the food to be cut slides down toward the cutting blade. Voila! No sticking or jerkiness.

As to the result with the (very ripe) tomato? Excellent cuts!

Also tried the crinkle blade on an unpeeled cucumber. Again, excellent results.

Haven't yet tried the other blades but, from the previous cuts, I assume the results will be the same.

Nor have I tried to use the food holder (used to protect your hand). But it seems well designed and should work okay.

After having tried two different economy slicers from Wal-Mart, and throwing them in the trash, I was worried about the results from this product. I shouldn't have worried. It's quite satisfactory.

Cleanup's not a problem; hot water and a spritz of liquid soap (as long as the food's not dried on it anywhere). Just be careful of the blade. And it's easier to use--and cleanup your work area after--if you put the mandoline on a sturdy cutting board while you work.

CONS
Blade changing is somewhat of a challenge. . . You'll need the instruction manual the first couple of tries. If you've misplaced yours, you can get one at: fantes(dot)com/slicers-mandolins.html

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great design, December 15, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)

Update #1: I chop a lot of onions, so I've decided that the best way for me to use this machine is to leave it set up as a dedicated onion chopper, with the coarse multi-blade insert always in place. It's always ready to go and it's fairly easy to clean with a sink sprayer. Now that I'm not having to deal with changing the blades, I pick it up all the time for this tedious chore.

I've used Borner V-Slicers for many years and I wanted to try a different machine, so I picked the OXO based on the cost and positive reviews.

Pros: Interchangeable blades; adjustable slice thickness; folding back foot

Cons: The blades are fussy and dangerous to change; the julienne blades are not long enough for anything more than the thinnest slices

I want my mandoline to be fast and easy to use and clean. The Borner V-slicer fulfills this need, but it can make only 2 thickness slices. I liked the idea of the adjustable slice thickness of the OXO, but it seems to be of little practical value because the "sharks teeth" aren't long enough to take advantage of the thicker slices.

Changing the julienne blades on the Borner is very fast and eash, but on the OXO, it is much more difficult and I feel that I'm in danger of cutting myself while I'm doing it. The OXO feels more precisely made than the Borner, but that feel doesn't translate into a better product. Cleaning the Broner is faster and easier than the OXO. Setting up and cleaning the OXO just seems like way too much of a project, and as a result, I find that I usually pick up a knife instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars First choice by Americas Test Kitchens, May 27, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
America's Test Kitchens evaluated mandoline slicers and chose this one as their favorite. Features they liked:
- 'V' blade gets high marks: Models tested had straight blades (bad), or diagonal blades (better), or 'V' blades (best). All could slice hard things like potatoes & carrots, but only those with a 'V' blade could slice a tomato without destroying it.
- Pusher handle keeps your fingers away from the blade
- Slice thickness easy to adjust.
- Comes with 3 blades that conveniently store in the bottom of the unit.
- Good value for the price. (There was one product they rated higher, but it sells for over $300!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best inexpensive mandolin on the market, December 19, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
As others have said this was the top rated V slicer from Americas Test Kitchen and they were right once again. Yes the blades are a little fiddly and the guard doesn't grip the food perfectly every time (hence only 4 stars). Three things to do, when you order this, get yourself a cut resistant glove, toss the guard, and BE CAREFUL. This isn't meant for the pro chef who will be using the tool every day. If you want that spend the $200+ on an all stainless monster that will sit out on your counter 24-7. If you are someone who wants a very serviceable tool at a decent price this is the best choice for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blades, safety, clean-up, storage: All above-average, November 20, 2011
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
I've had a top quality mandoline on my wish list for ages, but I haven't indulged myself yet. So every once in a while I need to buy a new inexpensive plastic take-off. Here, I went and did it again.

I like OXO products. This slicer works just fine. I wish I could open it up to more than 1/4 inch, but I think that's a safety issue. The slicer is designed to be able to store the extra blades under the "deck". I don't use that storage area because all the stored blades get dirty when you use the slicer. I know it is a safety concern to store the blades away from the tool, but that is what I do.

The blades are nice and sharp after about a year of use. The plastic knob that adjusts the height and locks/unlocks still holds in each notched position. The gripper that holds the veggie and keeps your fingers a distance away from the blades is actually effective. The instruction booklet is worthwhile. The blades can be replaced and the information for buying replacements is in the booklet.

Word to the wise: Do use the gripper. Don't multi-task or sip wine while slicing....You say to yourself that you're being careful and surely won't slice yourself, then, woops! How'd that happen? You won't be cooking again that day, you'll be standing at the sink with your hand above your heart, trying to stop the blood from flowing.....

5.0 out of 5 stars What fun!, September 12, 2009
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
We got this off our wedding registry and are having a blast with this! We made homemade French Fries followed by homemade crinkle cut potato chips the same day we got it- delicious! It was really easy to use and very safe (especially for someone as clutzy as I am!). It does take a little bit to figure out how to switch out the blades, but if you just take the time to read the directions, it's a snap. I'm definitely very happy with it!

3.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION! ... What you see is NOT what you get, February 25, 2010
This review is from: OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer (Kitchen)
A Nicely designed, middleweight Mandoline. Positive marks for the V blade and the on-board storage features .. HOWEVER, the photo shown, displays the optional #11366800 cubing set to the left of the mandoline, without clarifying that it is NOT included. NEGATIVE marks for what could be interpreted as deceptive marketing.

OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer