Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on August 25, 2013
So, this mandolin has 4 blades, all interchangeable and built right in. Convenient right? No, because here is what happens:
1) because the blades are all built right in, the unit is complex to disassemble and reassemble. You need a degree from MIT to put it back together again.
2) the unit is filled with "nooks and crannies" that fill with vegetable pieces every time you use it. You can start cleaning it on Monday and STILL be cleaning it on Wednesday, with no feeling of assurance that you've got it all.
3) because it is so complex, sooner or later you are going to take a shortcut, either in using it or cleaning it. and that's when it's gonna bite ya. it's razer sharp blades are just as adept at removing fingertips as they are at slicing veggies.

Add to the above the fact that the legs don't lock in place, there is no room underneath for the sliced pieces to go, and it doesn't seem to be "bowl mountable" and, well, this is not the slicer for me.

I'd rather have an easy to clean unit, where the blades are stored separately (why wash 4 blades every time you use 1?).

My 2 cents.
on March 27, 2015
I really, really wanted to love this! It actually works great, but the darn thing has so many different pieces attached to the base that you have to take everything apart to clean it. Taking it apart and reassembling is like working a bit puzzle. I end up only using it when I have a big party, otherwise it's too time consuming to clean. I wish the whole thing was simpler.
on June 17, 2008
i love this mandoline. the blade is so sharp i can make perfect slices of cucumbers, potatoes, lemons and limes, anything! i use it to shred cabbage for cole slaw - flawless. i love that the blades are all stored inside so it's very compact. it's so easy to use. the food holder is large and protects my hand. i would definitely recommend this product. a great deal too.
on January 29, 2009
A mandoline slicer is a must for an OCD cook like me. The perfect slices you see in cooking shows cook evenly and quickly and look great on the plate- but they're impossible with a knife. Oxo has always provided good, solid kitchen gadgets, and their track record in my kitchen drove me towards this unit when I began the hunt for a mandoline slicer.

Upon unpackaging, this slicer seems a bit daunting. There are (2) extra blades in a seperate case along with a spacer to go with the food holder, and an additional (3) blades are housed in the unit itself along with the (1) installed slicer blade (a total of 6 blades included). All fit nicely within their respective slots / containers, and you can't shake any of the spares loose.

The instruction manual is pretty good. Good diagrams with supporting text. It has a bit of a learning curve (pages titled "How to Cube" require you to reference "How to Change V-Blades" and "How to Change Cubing Blades"). Also, each blade is color coordinated with the thickness know along the side, which matches the manual. This assures that your cubes will always be, well, cubes!

Your first and most basic slicing is simple. Food + food holder + back and forth motion = perfect slices (my first-cut items were a bell pepper and an apple). More complex operations require some reading- unlock, open food track section, open cubing / julienning blade section, remove / install cubing / julienning blade, install slicer blade, close up, unlock. But again, the slices were perfect (my next item was an onion- cubed perfectly within about 10 seconds). The crinkle blade adds some drag (USE THE FOOD HOLDER) but results in beautiful food.

The cubing feature alone is well worth the price. The food first passes over the vertical sawtooth blades and is scored, and then each subsequent pass a 90 degree turn scores the food in the opposite direction and the slicing blade seperates perfect little cubes from the food. Repeat until the end. Chopping an onion like your favorite Food Network star is complex and often leaves a good chunk of food un-choppable. This baby makes little pieces of 90% of the onion. Nice.

Cleaning is fairly simple. A stainless model would be nicer dishwater-safety, but longevity of the product is my goal, so I hand-washed after use. The dishwasher is said to dull blades anyways, so it's better to just take it for a dunk in some warm soapy water. Rince and let air dry on a towel and bam- you're good to go.

A storage container for the whole setup would be nice, but hey - this will probably remain on my counter anyways. I can't imagine a meal that wouldn't benefit from use of the mandoline.

One or two uses of this unit and you'll be an expert. Also, you can chop everything in about 5 minutes and put it all in little bowls mis-en-place style and host your OWN cooking show.
on June 28, 2014
I bought this primarily in an attempt to make zucchini pasta. The setup was easy, and I was slicing in no time. I was really pleasantly surprised at just how effortless it was to slice through an entire zucchini and create perfectly formed shoestring size cuts. I made note that this probably meant the blade was extremely sharp and so I passed paid extra close attention while using it and safely made it through my first recipe without so much as a scratch.

I even made it through cleaning the slicer without incident as I carefully took it apart and washed each piece. The trouble came when I tried to reassemble it after drying. I found the various blades fit extremely snug inside the slicer, and I had a hard time getting them back into their spots. I positioned my hand to get some leverage and before I knew it there was a lot of blood coming from my hand. I had cut almost halfway through my finger and ended up in acute care getting it Dermabonded.

You'll note Amazon mentions that customers frequently buy this together with cut resistant gloves - do not take this suggestion lightly. The blades are extremely sharp and cut through my finger like nothing. However, since the blade was so sharp, the cut was extremely clean and healed beautifully. You can't even tell there was once a big gash there.

If you decide to pass on the cut resistant gloves, I highly recommend you place a first aid kit with alcohol and gauze close by. Mine was, unfortunately, two flights of stairs away, so I made a bit of a mess while trying to get there. Alcohol and gauze is how they will treat a cut in acute care, so might as well get jump on that.

Right now the slicer and I are in a fight, however, I will use it again, as it's a very helpful appliance, especially when you have a large amount of cutting and slicing to do. Just be careful, those blades are sharp!
on January 19, 2010
First a note on the stock picture - it is misleading - it shows the cubing set (that oval with the extra 2 blades), but the mandoline that Amazon ships doesn't iclude the cubing set (I think in general Oxo packs it withot the cubing set, so I don't why this is the stock picture)

The pros: It has a nice design.
Unlike other reviewers, I found it easy to change the blades, and assemble and disassemble the whole thing. The blades store within the mandoline, so you don't have loose sharp things in your gadget drawer.
Most of the mandoline (except for the blades) can be washed in the dishwasher.
Although it is plastic, it is sturdy. The base doesn't slip, and the handle at the end of the mandoline feels sturdy and comfortable.
It is really nice to have the 3 width adjustments.

The cons:
A very small "sweet spot" to safely and comfortably slice the vegetables. Maybe I chose the wrong vegetables. Here are the results:
*Cucumber - Beautiful thin, medium and thick slices, but with limitations. At its full length, the cucumber was too long and narrow to use the food holder. Every time I tried to set it on the holder, the cucumber would get loose and/or the whole thing would collapse - so I had to do the first 1/2 of the slicing without the food holder - fearing for the integrity of my fingers. At some point, I could put a shorter piece of the cucumber and successfully slice about 2-3 inches - which went really fast and the slices were beautiful. Then it came to the end of the vegetable, and it was impossible to slice the last 1/2 inch or so (because the holder only goes so far, and it is hard not push the wires that hold the vegetable in place just so, before they start scratching on the body of the mandoline).

*Onion - Nice medium slices, but again the last 1/2 inch or so couldn't be done with the mandoline. I couldn't do thin slices - but that may be not being familiar with the mandoline. I find the onion easy to slice with a knife, so unless you have a bucket full of onions, not much time saved.

* Bell Peppers - by the time you cut them to clean and take out the seeds, and then not being able to slice the last 1/2 inch or so, again the overhead was too much over just slicing it with a knife. I could only slice them successfully at the medium and thick setting.

* Tomatoes - maybe I was using a tomato that was too ripe. The mandoline made a royal mess with very ripe, and somewhat ripe tomatoes. Maybe it works well with green or barely ripe ones.

So maybe it was bad luck, and if we were a big french fry eating family I would have loved the mandoline.

I didn't hate it, but we don't have that much storage space, and I didn't feel that the trade-off between the amount of space it takes, and how useful it was for our style of cooking deserved keeping it.

We'll be putting that money into a good set of knives, and maybe a hand-held or compact mandoline.
22 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2008
If you know how to use a mandoline, this one works very well and is easy to clean. Using any mandoline can be a little frustrating, especially if you're careful and use the guard all the time rather than risk slicing your fingers. I would give this 5 stars except the way it comes apart and fits together is not intuitive, perhaps because the entire thing is white; you have to bend it this way, then that and pull off this piece and then that, which can get confusing when you have a dinner to prep. I'm also not terribly impressed with the julienne blade - but at least it has one. It excels at basic cuts, particularly thinner slices of any length, and can go through a mountain of prep in a flash. As advice, if you're cutting a lot, I'd try using it in a large bowl because then you can move the cut slices around and even put the mandoline on top as the pile grows.
on November 6, 2011
It is a little complicated to unfold and change blades, but once you figure it out it is not a problem. It slices beautifully. My only dislike is that it makes french fry's too thin. Be sure that you use the holder when slicing or you will end up missing finger tips. You don't want to know how I found out. It is VERY sharp..
On the plus side it is very sturdy and well made. It is fast at slicing and you can do all kinds of fancy slices. Worth the money.
on July 8, 2012
I hate slicing produce for cooking and salads, probably because I am not very good at it which means I have had my eye out for a decent, inexpensive mandoline for quite some time. This Oxo Mandoline slicer was recommended by Cooks Illustrated and it was very reasonably priced, so I treated myself. After using it, I keep asking myself why I ever thought of it as a luxury. It takes less than 10 minutes to grab it from its storage area, slice the produce and clean it up. A minute or so extra if I need to change the blades. I don't find the switching from the slicing blade to either of the julienne blades to be complicated or onerous and once you learn the sequence, it is quite easy. I wasn't sure about the quality since it is plastic except for the blades, but no worries there, it really is quite sturdy and very easy to clean. I like that the legs are non-slip. After use, I find I don't need to take it apart at all to clean, unless it has gotten very dirty. Rather, I use a long-handled vegetable brush and the kitchen faucet sprayer to clean it up. It can stain when using with carrots, or red peppers, but a little soap, and some careful (beware the blade if you don't remove it!) light, scrubbing with a non-scratch pad takes care of that.

I use the hand guard without fail, and the only quibble would be that the guard pins that stab into the food to hold it from slipping are a bit too far apart when using it to slice cucumber rounds or other small diameter produce. You do need to cut cucumbers at least in half to properly hold the cucumber under the guard for slicing. It takes a bit of practice, but with the guard I can make perfect slices right down to the last 1/2 inch or less of the produce most of the time. A chopping blade set for this mandoline is made by Oxo which allows you to chop onions with ease. I plan to buy that when I can as well. Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase and the delivery. I would count this as one of my better purchases of all time.
on July 1, 2012
I had been needing a new mandolin for some time. My old one bit the dust with broken parts, yadda, yadda.... I went to America's Test Kitchen to see what they recommended. They recommended exactly this model mandolin which I was able to find on Amazon.com. As it happened, it arrived (early I might add) on the day I could put it to immediate use. I was making scalloped potatoes with onions for my dinner party that evening (I had invited my friends over to my house to help me celebrate my 70th birthday.) This mandolin did exactly what I wanted with ease. I had used crispy potatoes and it worked like silk. The onion sliced just as easily. I always felt as if my fingers were safe from the very sharp blade because the protector gadget worked perfectly and comfortably. I would very highly recommend this kitchen tool to anyone to is considering purchasing one. I must admit I haven't tried it on tomatoes yet - I feel that would be the true test - but I'm very happy with this purchase.