Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

• Oasis

Format: PaperbackChange

on April 4, 2009
I really like this book it grabed me from the get go and I have not been able to let it go. The main guy in the book is what grabbed me right away.

OASIS is a lot differnt then most zombie books and I like that about it. I get tired of the same old zombies or infected type stories. I like that a few authors out there are stepping out and taking a risk and doing something differnt.

OASIS did a good job of doing that and giving life to the pages with a differnt type of story. This book wraps a Zombie, infected post apocalyptic world with what feels to me like the hit tv show 24. I kept waiting for someone to say Jack Bauer's name in the book.

This is a great book very well thought out and very well written. I hope there is a part two soon.

The book feels real like it is something that could and might happen to us.
on December 22, 2008
Fast-paced and engaging, Oasis is a fresh read. The action is crisp and reliably suspenseful. To me, what makes the book stand out is it's realistic treatment of human nature in survive or die situations and the author's lucid, active writing style.

If you like the zombie or post-apocalyptic genre, this will be right up your alley.
on December 18, 2008
What a great book! A wonderful new twist in the zombie world. This book is so much more than your run of the mill zombie story. The main character is well written and is a testament to what people will go through and deal with in order to survive. Mr. Beattie takes the reader on a truly fun and at times heart pounding ride. I wish I could have given it 10 stars!
on June 1, 2009
I would like to give this book 3 1/2 stars, not three. But not quite 4 either. It was a good basic zombie story that ended up being ruined by the ending. It was the usual, though not formulaic, zombie story. Right up until the end when all hell broke loose with a bunch of new plot twists, and then the book doesn't really end, because CLEARLY there is a sequel coming. Sigh. Fine. Of course I'll read it because who the hell wants to be left hanging, you know?

Interesting aside...there are many stories/books that I would love to read a sequel to because I am just not ready to let go of the characters at the end. Or maybe I want to find out what happens to them later. That's great. But one thing I have learned very recently, most notably through Rhiannon Frater's "As the World Dies" trilogy - IT'S GREAT TO KNOW RIGHT UP FRONT THAT IT'S A TRILOGY. No shucking around, you know in advance, and you can prepare yourself.

That said, the book was not awful. In fact (except for the typos and wrong word usage: hoard instead of horde; b-line instead of beeline; crews instead of cruise....those are just a very few) the story was a good one. There was a whole LOT of male posturing and bullying and jockeying for position in this zombie infested town, and Our Hero kept winding up in unfavorable situations that were bizarre, yet predictable based on the storyline. I know there's gonna be some of that when the zombies finally do come, LOL, but not in EVERY SINGLE SITUATION YOU COME ACROSS.

But definitely read it. It was pretty good. [close]
on August 27, 2009
I agree with Felicia's 3.5 star assessment of this novel, so I'm giving it four stars to even out her three. This is a fun zombie tale and I enjoyed reading it. It does have its flaws, but overall they didn't detract enough for me not to like the book.

What I liked:

1. The world building was excellent. The fictional city of Oasis came to life with vivid descriptions of locations and history.

2. The action was inventive and fun. The lead character was clever and quick to respond to the threats around him.

3. Though the zombies initially resemble the classic Romero zombies, they are different. There were some nice variations to their strengths, weaknesses, and overall behavior.

4. The twist at the end was daring, but awesome.

What I disliked:

1. The lead character appears to be an average guy, but he has the James Bond syndrome. Every attractive woman he comes across wants him. This was just a tad annoying.

Which leads me to...

2. Not until the end of the book do any of the women seem capable of anything other than waiting for the men to take care of them. I was relieved when one of the female characters finally stepped up and kicked some butt. It was a fantastic moment.

3. The same character showed up four times in the book, but with different names. Usually fat and unattractive, each man instantly hated the lead character and was a blustering, idiot macho man. All were instantly verbally abusive and wanting to fight. When we hit stereotype No. 2, I started rolling my eyes. This was actually a major weakness to the storytelling because it pushed me right out of the action. I understand the author wanted to create tension, but there were other ways to do it than having a carbon copy of the annoying, angry, fat, bald guy.

4. The supporting cast of the story was on the weak side. Most of them were morons who easily fell in behind the blustering idiot fat men. In real life, I seriously doubt this would have been the case.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story and look forward to the next one. The author has a great voice and he's just getting started. I can't wait to see where he goes next.
on April 9, 2009
Reading Oasis is (for me) like watching old seasons of "24" when my wife and I were trying to catch up to season 4. With 24, we couldn't stop ourselves and kept watching episode after episode and disc after disc. Reading Oasis was a similar experience for me and the highest compliment I can give to author Bryce Beattie is when I started reading it I didn't want to put it down, I kept wanting to see what happened next, which wasn't hard to feel given most of the short chapters end on a cliff-hanger, like an episode of 24 would.

Who will like this book? People who want a good, fast, breezy read. People who enjoy the post-apocalptic, 28-Days-Later/Zombie type fiction and action. People who read this book, chapter by chapter, on Bryce's website, [...] Who should steer clear of this book? If you're expecting detailed weaponry you may be disappointed. Bryce covers familiar ground with this novel, and though much of it is familiar it is never boring and never leaves the reader feeling "Oh I've read (or seen) this before."
on June 18, 2009
Oasis is one of the best zombie novels I've ever read! Corbin St. Laurent is the perfect hero to help try and save the remaining population of the desert town Oasis. With local characters and brilliant description the town and population of Oasis come to life allowing the reader to experience the trials and tribulations of our hero first hand along with the pressures of escaping the hoards of undead running through the streets!

I would recommend Oasis to anyone for a good read, especially those of us who have soft spots in our hearts for the poor unfortunate undead!

Way to go Bryce, you hit one out of the park with Oasis!
on February 10, 2010
I bought this for my eldest son who, whilst he thinks vampires are so boring, loves zombies. He loved this book and goes back to it time and time again to re-read bits and pieces. He can't wait for the sequel and I am already under instruction to keep an eye out for it.
on August 25, 2009
While reading this book, I had the recurring feeling I was reading the "cutaway scene" script for a new zombie-themed video game. The city is walled, complete with military patrols waiting outside (your boundaries are set), the main character doesn't fit anywhere and roams from place to place (the need to explore the environment), and you gather weapons along your way (baseball bat, an elephant gun, backpack for supplies, etc.).

Character development left me feeling a bit underwhelmed, scenes appeared to be hastily thrown together at times, and the vagueness of the ending left me more than a little frustrated. On one hand, this lack of deep character development gave the impression of a wispy story; fluff between the bread. But on the other hand it made perfect sense, as you're likely not going to know a lot about the people you meet during a catastrophic event. But why does no one like the main character? I mean, people really don't like this guy. I can understand a couple people not being fond of someone, but after two or three, you might want to take a hard look at yourself. I found the author used this plot technique far too often. Many more options can place the main character on the move than another not liking them.

There were also many spelling and grammatical errors, though I'm unsure if this was a symptom of the Kindle app on my iPhone.

But don't get me wrong. The book definitely demanded my attention in areas, and even got my heart thumping several times. But it seemed this would die out (no pun intended), and be replaced by another few pages of humdrum. The phrase "skimming to the next action scene" comes to mind.

Despite this, I really did enjoy the book. It was just plain fun. I would encourage any fan of the "zombie" genre to pick up a copy. It's a pleasurable, small new twist on a very old theme.
on September 20, 2012
This is a classic zombie tale with a few twist. I am not a zombie kind of girl, but it was interesting enough to keep me turning the page. If you like zombie stories you will love this one. The main character, Corbin St. Laurent works as an ER nurse and not surprisingly he stumbles upon the zombies in the fictional town of Oasis. Throughout the story he is constantly in trouble with someone or something. While this character was believable some of the supporting characters were rather cookie cutter.

The little town of Oasis is in the middle of the desert and the towns people are cut off from the rest of the world. This story expresses the type of small town thinking you may discover any where in the world. Essentially, everyone needs someone to blame. With fewer than a handful of people left, Corbin has to save them before the Zombies or the Government manages to kill them all. Through out the book he describes the zombies and other survivors expertly, but falls short when it comes to the main character. If he had described him earlier in the story, I think I would have understood why Corbin had so many problems with his fellow survivors.

I am happy that it had an ending I would have never seen coming. There is obviously a sequel to this book. I will most definitely read it because I can't stand to not know the end of a story.

Overall, I gave this book 3 1/2 stars. I would have given it 4 stars, but the minor characters need more depth and diversity.

This book given free for review.