1,051 Reviews

Published 21 months ago by syberlane

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected.
Published 16 months ago by Renman

5.0 out of 5 stars Cliff Notes, Dummies Series like - overview of 2700+ pages of changes, October 12, 2012
This review is from: ObamaCare Survival Guide (Paperback)
I read this at a Barnes and Nobel because open enrollmenet season is upon us and have noticed several trends that appear to be troublesome over the past 2 years. In short, this "guide" explains somewhat potential and current changes to health insurance and its implementation. Though I never purchased this piece of literature, I did read it cover to cover and do recommend it for anyone who wants a heads up with regards to what to expect and why. There are a series of laws, fees, penalties, surcharges, and requirements that impact everyone from the self employed, unemployed, small business owner, corporation, LLC, and retiree that rolls out over the course of about 8 years and for 11 bucks, a quick stop at the local library or book store will give just about anyone a heads up of what's to come.

The 1 negative review I read indicated that if you are a right winger this book was for you and if you were a left winger forget it. Sorry, but in my opinion information is information whether you like it or not, I suffer through MSNBC, PBS, CNN, and Fox that way I can decide, not let someone else do it for me.

All the best

5.0 out of 5 stars OBAMACARE FOR DUMMIES 101, November 7, 2012
This review is from: ObamaCare Survival Guide (Paperback)
I had heard many stories about ObamaCare and I wanted to know just how it would affect me and my family, personally, step-by-step. I needed a "Dummies" book and found this book to be very helpful in finding out more about that dreaded subject. The chapters are organized so that I can refer to the ones I most need at the moment. There are blank pages where I have documented what I must remember. It is easy to read and the quality is exceptional. Thank you, Nick Tate, for clearing up some questions for this "dummy" and presenting others to think about. The price is good and no one should be without it as this thing will affect everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives pros and cons, November 6, 2012
I'm a nurse and over 65 and wanted to know more about what the law entails and the timelines that are coming. Regardless of your politics, this explains the law in simple English. It's a good idea-trying to get everyone healthcare, but making it a law-and government forcing me-leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
There will still be large groups who we will have to pay for as they go to the Emergency Rooms-the homeless, illegals, those who can't afford to buy the insurance.
Bottom line you and I will pay for ourselves and those that can't/won't.
The crooks in Washington have exempted themselves from the law.
As a senior, I will be watching the committee IPAB, that will be "Assessing and Evaluating Treatment Options" under Medicare and so should every other other person on Medicare.I prefer to make my medical decisions with my Physician, rather than the federal government.
Get a doctor now before they stop taking Medicare or Medicaid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., February 19, 2013
This review is from: ObamaCare Survival Guide (Paperback)
I am in the medical profession and was hoping for a more detailed outlay of information as to how the new health care laws will effect our office practice and patients care. I was hoping for specifics with regards to how and what changes commercial insurance plans will implement. We know that for example that Medicare coverage will most likely see broad changes that will effect both the patient and practitioner. Most of what I read in the book was information that has been available to the general public, and discussed at great length by the media; at least the media I listen to and read.

3.0 out of 5 stars ObamaCare Survival Guide, March 8, 2013
This review is from: ObamaCare Survival Guide (Paperback)
Ok, to preface, I feel I should disclose that I am all over the place when it comes to politics. Pro-Gun, Anti-GMO, etc. I kind of just bounce around depending on the topic. I do believe everyone should have the right to affordable Healthcare though. So while this book isn't really directed at me in that regard, I actually found a lot of useful information in it. And I didn't even read it by choice, my boss had me read it as background for part of a blog post he wanted written for the company website.

The ObamaCare Survival Guide isn't really a Survival Guide. So I do think it's misnamed. But the sub-title of "The Affordable Care Act and What It Means for You and Your Healthcare" is actually a little more accurate. This is a brief (although biased) guide to the new Healthcare laws coming into effect. There are several different sections; "Welcome to ObamaCare", "ObamaCare: What It Means for You", "ObamaCare: A Multiyear Timetable", "Heath Insurance: Radical Changes Ahead", "The Individual Mandate", "The Expansion of Medicaid", "Health Insurance Exchanges", "Incentives for Small Businesses", "More Benefits, Higher Costs", "Turning the Screws on Medicare", "Cost Control Experiments", "Making Americans Healthier", "Long-term Care", "ObamaCare, Etc.", "ObamaCare's Price Tag", "Protect Yourself Against ObamaCare", and the appendices. As you can tell from the titles of these chapters, the books tries to go into explanation on each part of the new Healthcare law. A lot of it is summary and supposition, but there are genuine facts from the law in here. I especially found the section on Long-Term care to be informative. Especially where it described the new laws that would monitor care at Nursing Homes and make a report available to the public. Every section had charts showing the allocation of pay, the differences in income for applying for help at the new Healthcare exchanges that will be set up, and current Insurance enrollment figures.

Ultimately though, this book is biased. And it's ok to write a biased book. Even though I may not agree with the author, I still appreciate the fact that he did include real facts with his opinions. He just has a different interpretation than I do, and on some things, I actually even agreed with him. I do commend the fact that he took time to point out good aspects of the Healthcare bill, in addition to his complaints and theories on the problems of the bill.

The format of the book was easy to read, and in language that most anyone could understand. The subjects were sorted neatly and transitioning from chapter to chapter was seamless. While it wasn't the Survival Guide the title says it is, this is, as said before, a brief summary of the Healthcare act. I do like that the book was separated into Parts, then into chapters, and then within each chapter it had certain sections highlighted so you can easily find what you are looking for. But don't go looking on strategies to get around the new Healthcare Act in this book, that's not what it was designed to do, despite the title. I think there will be a lot of disappointed people who pick up this book expecting it to be something it isn't. I do have to say that I would have liked to see more information. I know I said there was some in here, but it had the capacity for being much more informative than it actually was. A little less personal opinion and a little more facts would have really made this book a force to be reckoned with.

This gets three stars from me. It was a nice brief overview splattered with personal opinion. But at 200+ pages it could have contained more factual evidence than it did. But it's still a good beginner's book for those looking at the Healthcare law and I can see it being very popular with those people who are not enthused with the new policy.

ObamaCare Survival Guide
Copyright 2013
241 pages

Review by M. Reynard 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, May 24, 2013
This review is from: ObamaCare Survival Guide (Paperback)
It ended up being more geared toward fear mongering than useful facts. I don't think I would recommend it for it's actual content.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, March 26, 2013
I thought I was really going to get an insight into ObamaCare and what it means for me and everyone else. This book just seemed to go over and over the same things again and again. I don't feel I learned anything much different in this book that I haven't heard on the news. I think I basically wasted my money. It had very good ratings and that is what I was going on when I decided to buy it. But maybe those people don't watch the news. Don't bother buying this book. Unless you know nothing about ObamaCare or don't watch the news, it might help but if you are pretty up to date on events, this is a repeat. Save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for those who want to know what the real impact of Obamacare is going to be in their lives., October 17, 2012
This review is from: ObamaCare Survival Guide (Paperback)
This is a thorough outline of the most important affects of the Affordable Healthcare Act aka Obamacare. I purchased it, and read it from cover to cover. Unlike the two previous reviews, this book is a pretty objective take on how the bill is likely going to be implemented. The left wing reviewers likely either didn't read the book, or were critical of the book quoting the CBO's (Congressional Budget Office) revised analysis of the cost of implementation and didn't like the fact that the further we go down the road of implementation, the more the costs and affects are becoming apparent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear review of the facts, November 5, 2012
The Obama Care Survival Guide: The Affordable Care Act and What it Means for You and Your Healthcare, is well written and understandable for the lay person. Condensing over 2,000 pages into this small book was no small task, however, the information the populace needs to know is presented with very little slant. It separates the good from the bad effects for different demographics, which makes this book indispensable for everyone who wants to be in the know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Afordable Care Act Explained, November 8, 2012
This review is from: ObamaCare Survival Guide (Paperback)
This is a must read book for everyone. It is easy to read and explains what will happen at what date to every group of Americans. Finally, so many questions were answered that up to now has been a mystery.

ObamaCare Survival Guide
ObamaCare Survival Guide by Nick Tate (Paperback - October 2, 2012)
$19.95 $16.26