Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on August 2, 2008
Object-Oriented JavaScript by Stoyan Stefanov is a first among JavaScript books in my opinion. OOP in JavaScript is not new, but has gained much popularity since the use of JavaScript in Ajax and the development of JavaScript libraries and widgets from various web companies (especially Yahoo!). Learning how to create component-based applications using JavaScript is not an easy thing to master if all you know about JavaScript is doing "mouse-overs" or neat little effects. There really isn't a book out there that really explains how OOP works in JavaScript completely.

There are books from Apress and WROX that are geared towards "intermediate" topics in JavaScript such as creating objects and so forth, but they quickly go into sing custom libraries which really doesn't teach you anything apart from using a library.

This book really goes into detail in explaining how the syntax of JavaScript can be used to create scalable applications from the ground-up. I would say this book is geared for the developer who has a grasp on the language itself but wants to learn more in creating real useful applications for the web using JavaScript and wants to learn without depending on any pre-built library or component.

The author goes into the basics of the language first (chapter 1-2) then spends a chapter on functions (chapter 3) which is the many ways in JavaScript to create objects. Since JavaScript is not a fully OO language, it can get confusing on understanding the many different ways to create an object. Stoyan explains it very well with many examples so anybody can understand it.

The next few chapters (4 - 6), the author goes into OOP practices like how objects work, the Prototype built-in object, inheritance, and many of the built-in methods and properties you can use to manipulate your custom objects. Yes, object literal notation is covered in-depth since it really is the standard way in JavaScript to create objects.

The rest of the book has some excellent chapters on the BOM, DOM, Ajax and Design Patterns which really round out the book and make it worth it. I have never seen a book so complete on some of the more intermediate to advanced features of JavaScript and explaining it so anybody can learn it.

Go get yourself a copy of this book today!
on September 29, 2011
I found the online Mozilla Developer Network (MDN) "JavaScript Guide" and "JavaScript Reference" to be a more concise and thorough teaching of the JavaScript language. The MDN docs have higher-quality and many more charts/graphs/tables. The code examples are also more meaningful and relevant. Moreover, the MDN docs have coverage on iterators and generators, XML processing with E4X, and a modern look the prototypical object model.

"Chapter 6: Inheritance" is very extensive, covering 12 techniques of achieving differing levels of inheritance. The author makes numerous references to Douglas Crockford's early-day methods of classical inheritance. The problem is Crockford himself states, "I now see my early attempts to support the classical model in JavaScript as a mistake." I feel the author's promotion of the classical approach diminishes the power of JavaScript as a functional/prototype-based language. Besides, most of these inheritance implementations are moot with JavaScript's new native function: Object.create.

"Chapter 8: Coding and Design Patterns" is the only chapter that goes beyond the beginner level. This is also the only chapter of the book that is not directly covered in the MDN documentation. However, this chapter is only 25 pages; barely an overview of such intermediate topics. For an in-depth look at design patterns, I would highly recommend Pro JavaScript Design Patterns (Recipes: a Problem-Solution Ap).

The best parts of the book are the "coding patterns" in chapter 8:
- separation of content, presentation, behavior
- namespaces
- init-time branching
- lazy definition
- configuration objects
- self-executing functions

Finally, at no point did the author construct a code example demonstrating application or library development, not to mention scalability. All code examples were self-contained snippets. Because of the subtitle, I was anticipating an intermediate to advanced teaching of JavaScript, which it clearly is not.
on January 28, 2010
The book is very well written and contains a lot of great information, but if you're looking to learn how "Create scalable, reusable high-quality javascript applications and libraries", it is nearly useless. There were a total of two chapters that I found useful to a non-novice. One covered inheritance options in incredible details (which is great, since there are so many), and the last chapter gives lip service to covering common OO patterns with javascript. That's about it. "Introduction to creating objects and simple OO patterns in Javascript" would have been a much more apt title.
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2008
This is a well written book, I recommend that everyone wanting to get into javascript programming go pick up this book. I first bought JavaScript: The Definitive guide by Oreily because everyone in the JavaScript community said thats the most detailed book on javascript. But that book was like reading a dictionary and I would get bored with it pretty quick. This book "Object-Oriented Javascript" is a wonderful read, its well structured. Flowing from 1 chapter to another giving you everything you need to know like building blocks laying out a strong foundation.

Before I read this book I wasnt comfortable with javascript at all, but now I feel like I can do just about anything with it. I really liked the chapters on Prototyping and the section on closures work. The author really tries hard to show how javascript works by not only explaining it in laymen terms but also having diagrams to help illustrate his point. The examples are kept short and to the point and he has many examples to help get all his points across.

The way this book is layed out it will make for a good desktop reference.

Stoyan Stefanov, I'm looking forward to any more books you might come out with.
on July 27, 2013
This is about the fifth book on JavaScript I have read. I started with Flanagan's JavaScript: The Definitive Guide. Probably not the best place to start for a newbie but an excellent tome to retain as a reference. The other books I read also came highly recommended as Object Oriented JavaScript has, but without a doubt I wish I had started with Object Oriented JavaScript. Everything just 'clicked'.

I began by reading the basics at the beginning of the book. I had never fully understood self-invoking functions, lexical scope, or closures. Even though they had been covered in other books I had read, I was still pretty shaky on those topics.

However, something about way the author's simple-to-understand language came across resonated strongly, and I finally become comfortable with those concepts.

Granted I'm only on the 'functions' section of the book, still quite early. Moreover, the main reason I got this book was because I had purchased the author's more advanced text JavaScript Patterns and in that book he recommends starting with this book for those still feeling a bit uneasy about some of the basic concepts such as closures.

Nevertheless, just by finally being able to understand the concepts of self-invoking functions, lexical scope, and closures, it makes this book easily worth the price and the efforts of the author most appreciated.

The author also discusses application and nuances of the various parts of the language. So, it's not just, "here's how you make a close." It's more like here are the possible application of closures, here are recommended best practices, and here are some things to watch out for, and here are some subtleties to be aware of.

Even in areas I felt very comfortable with in JavaScript, many times the author brought up nuances I had not been aware of or had forgotten about and so I believe experienced developers would also gain from this work.

Yet despite the detail, it's an easy read and is amazingly concise. No fluff. Just what you need to know with relevant examples and discussion, and then on to the next topic.

Well done!
on April 9, 2009
(Disclaimer: this is a summary of a more lengthy review I posted at [...])

The book starts with a good introduction to the various aspects of JavaScript, from data types and control structures in Chapter 2 to functions and objects in Chapter 3 and 4. The writing in these chapters is clear and contains plenty of examples you can follow along. Although these chapters provide a good introduction to basic JavaScript, you could find the same information in most other JavaScript books (JavaScript: The Definitive Guide comes to mind.)

The interesting stuff however starts in Chapter 5 and 6 with an in-depth discussion of JavaScript's prototype based nature and the various forms of inheritance it supports. These chapters provide one of the clearest introductions to prototype based programming I have yet seen. If you're already familiar with basic JavaScript but unsure about your knowledge of prototypes and inheritance, this would be a good place to start reading. This book shows that there are better and simpler alternatives to classical inheritance available in prototype based languages (and if you really want to use classical inheritance it will show you how to do that as well.)

Chapter 8 "Coding and Design Patterns" is in my opinion the most interesting chapter. It introduces various coding and design patterns such as initialization time branching and configuration objects, as well as JavaScript implementations of patterns from the famous Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) book. My only negative point on this chapter is that I found it too short---I would have liked to see more patterns and perhaps even style guidelines.

In conclusion; I found it to be a very good book, and highly recommend it if you are looking for a good introduction to JavaScript or to upgrade your skills to "modern JavaScript".
on April 8, 2014
I don't care what other people said. This is the best Object-Oriented JavaScript textbook out there. The author had done a marvelous job. The chapters are highly organized, and they are very easy to comprehend. I have been struggling with JavaScript for a while now until I finally discovered that Book. A Big Thanks to the Author who had taken his time to make sure that guys like me falls in love with that programming language. I highly recommended it.
on June 4, 2013
This is my first review in the 7 years that I have been buying stuff on Amazon. Yes, I'm that lazy. So the fact that I dragged my lazy ass to the review section should tell you something.

We recently started using node.js at work for some server side scripting. Since I had no experience in Javascript, I figured I should pick up a book and get up to speed on it. I tried pretty much all popular Javascript books, but none come anywhere close to this for explaining concepts of the Javascript language in a clear, concise and lucid manner. To save you the trouble, here's my experience with the popular/top rated JS books:

1. Professional Javascript for web developers - comprehensive, but not as clear or well structured. The author is obviously very knowledgeable, but a good book is much more than a brain dump. TMI!
2. Javascript the good parts - useful for those who already know the language.
3. Eloquent Javascript - more about programming style than Javascript.
4. Pretty much every other book - primary focus is browser, rather than Javascript. Good if that's the scope of your work, but not if you want a solid understanding of the language itself.

I have only 2 small complaints:
1. I'd like to see a chapter on error handling
2. and a chapter on event driven (asynchronous) programming

Other than that, this thing is dang near perfect

My recommendation would be to read the following books in the specified order:
1. Object Oriented Javascript
2. Javascript the good parts (optional - this will mostly be a refresher after OOJ)
3. Eloquent Javascript

PS: I'm not getting paid to say any of this. It really is one of the better technical books I've read in a while.
on October 26, 2008
Having read a large number of JavaScript books, I would say that this is easily one of the best around. The introductory chapters are above average, and thoughtfully mention a number of useful details. The core chapters in the book describe Functions, Objects, Prototype, and Inheritance. These chapters alone are worth the price of the book. They are probably clearer than any other book on the subject.

Beginners and moderate JavaScript users will gain a great deal from this book, and advanced users will also find it useful. Highly recommended.
on March 11, 2014
It gives a good basic overview of Object Oriented Javascript. However, it doesn't go into enough details. The examples, are rather overly simplistic. He also doesn't give good definitions of some of the terms through out the book. Beginning chapters are more about Javascript and not so much on Object Oriented. It also doesn't contain answers to the end of chapter exercises.