5.0 out of 5 stars Classic
Published on December 2, 2011 by fatima romero

3.0 out of 5 stars Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
My review may be a bit tainted since I had played the later version for so long before trying out Oblivion. The graphics and the seamless flow of animation were very good in Oblivion, but I do enjoy playing Skyrim better, most likely because of the improvements in the technology employed. That being said, I would certainly recommend Oblivion to any avid gamer who enjoys...
Published 2 months ago by Emile Clede

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, December 2, 2011
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I remember when I first bought this game years ago on release..What an amazing game. I bought this again after getting Skyrim to relive the good old days and man let me say this..the gameplay is great now as it was then. Felt like a new game to me after so many years. And for 18 bucks to get the game and 2 of the biggest DLCs for it is just great. Also fun playing it after doing Skyrim to see the difference in gameplay.

To anyone new to Elder Scrolls that bought Skyrim, give this game a chance. Along with the other older titles.

Maybe I will go get me Morrowind again..damned cliff racers..

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought Oblivion after Skyrim came out!, February 21, 2012
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I have never played the Elder Scrolls games and with the hype of Skyrim I was very tempted to buy it. As a casual gamer who didnt want to spend the $50+ I decided to check out Oblivion. I was able to snag it for pretty cheap and it has been worth every penny. The graphics are great, though nothing like Skyrim. The gameplay pulls you in and half an hour quickly becomes an hour and a half or more. It will be some time before the next Elder Scrolls game comes out so if you are like me and new to it all then I recomend this game first and by the time you finish or get board Skyrim will be cheaper or be sold with an additional expansion pack. Playing Skyrim first, I suspect, will sour most peoples desire to go back and play this game even though its great.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a platinum hits version ., September 29, 2012
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I just wanted to let everyone know that this is a platinum hits version. The cover art looks like the old GOTY editions but when you recieve the game you will notice it is in a grey box instead of the lime green. Then when you open the box you will imediately notice the Platinum hits disks.

This doesnt really matter but I didnt know I was getting this version because it is not advertised as Platinum hits. Also dont expect there to be a game manual in it like the original came with , its just a sorry little 3 page pamplet with the controller layout and another pamplet advertising some game that I cant remember. I really was thinking I was getting the original GOTY edition with the map and full booklet. Oh well.

Now for what really matters. I have completed Skyrim and the expansion dlc dawnguard and also leveled all the way out to level 81. That is a most excellent game!!!!. I decided I wanted some more Elder Scrolls so I decided to pick up Oblivion. I can honestly say that I am not disappointed in the least. I went into this knowing the game was released in early 2006. So I knew the graphics and voice acting were not going to be up to the standards of Skyrim. The gameplay is almost identical to skyrim. The world is beautiful even with todays standards. The character movement seems to be no different than Skyrim. There are plenty of side quests to go along with the main quest line. So far I am really enjoying the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines. Just as in Skyrim you can either do the main quest line or save it for later and do side quests like the Thieves Guild that actually have a story of their own. There is just so much to do and so many places to explore.

In conclusion I have to say to you. This is an excellent game with top notch game play that will keep you playing for hundreds of hours. I actually have friends that have been playing this game since its release date and still are playing it today. Go into this game with the mind frame that it was released in 2006. Im not downplaying anything about the game but if you go into it like that there should be no disapointment. Finally , the graphics and world of the game are beautiful , the gameplay top notch , so many hours of quests to even begin try and count. You could literally play this game for years and still not find or do everything. So If you are on the fence about this game climb on down and just buy it because in my humble opinion it has been well worth the money.

Note: ( dont forget that this is the platinum hits version and doesnt include the full release date manual , map and is incased in a gray platinum hits box. If you are looking for the original with the map , lime green box and original GOTY edition discs try somewhere else. Although I was a little disappointed with these few things the game itself is a 5 out of 5 stars and I do not regret my purchase. )

5.0 out of 5 stars Still holds up after all these years, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Not gonna comment on the game as everyone already knows how awesome it is. This pretty much has the same content (base game, knights of the nine and shivering isles expansion) as the 5th anniversary edition sans the steelbook, the map, and the discount coupon for skyrim. The $10 price difference could go towards a guide for the book, which is much more useful than the 5th Anniversary extras

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting and Epic., December 9, 2013
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Bless the Nine for this game! This is the first Elder Scrolls game I have played and I was impressed. This game is massive and it's not just empty space, there are copious amounts of dungeons, capes, inns, and most importantly quests. The main story is epic and many side quests are just as epic as the main one. This game is and always will be considered one of the greatest Action-RPGs ever.

The Story:
-So you are a prisoner and fate has brought you and Emperor Uriel Septim together as he had a dream about you being someone to trust as he needs to escape through your prison cell. You are freed with it because the emperor entrusts you with the Amulet of the Kings as he fears he will be assassinated.
- The emperor gets assassinated and you have to go find the new heir or all of Cyrodil and Tamierel (Elder Scrolls land) will be destroyed by the Daedric God Mehrunes Dagon.

Pros:
- Very strong story with amazing depth, the side quests add to the backstory of the area and game.
- Very addicting gameplay, feels a lot more complicated than it looks whether you are cast spells of destruction, summoning creatures to aid you, or fighting with a sword. There are a lot of factors that go into combat and gameplay. In the end it looks like you are just flailing and running in circles though.
- The AI is pretty decent considering how long ago this game came out. NPCs aren't annoying to work with in this game (except for following Baurus to the sewers, goodbye hour of your life)
- Every dungeon is different and unique in their own way, while there are a couple of styles, each layout is unique.
- Your enemies level up along with you so that way the game is always challenging. Of course there is a cap at like level 30, but at that point you know pretty much everything about combat.
- The game explains in great detail what each attribute does for your character when creating it.
- The main quest is rather short as far as most main stories go, but there are a plethora of questlines. It's not an achievement, but it should be just to complete every quest.
- Every person has voice dialogue that's not annoying.
- You can fast travel to any location you've discovered.

Cons:
- There are quite a few glitches in the game, most of the don't effect anything, but there are a couple that make it impossible to finish quests. I recommend you check the Elder Scrolls wiki should you think there's a glitch.

Other:
- On one playthrough I got all 1250G, (game of the year edition gives the Shivering Isles DLC which is the only DLC that gives any achievements). It's not hard because the achievements all revolve around quests.
- The Game of the Year edition comes with a DLC disk for the Shivering Isles and the Knights of the Nine questline
- Other DLC doesn't provide extra achievements and not so much extra story, just somewhat decent equipment.
- I've played 74 hours so far and I'm nowhere near to done with the side quests.

Buy this game if:
- You want to play an epic, amazing, and beautiful Action-RPG.
- The game is under $20 (Game of Year version)
- Haven't played Skyrim yet

To me there's no reason why you shouldn't buy this game except for price.

5.0 out of 5 stars My only complaint is that vampirism gave me the uglies . . ., December 23, 2013
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I had low expectations for this game because Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls games that I have played and I loved it a lot. If you don't go into this game expecting Skyrim, then you will probably be impressed! Oblivion went into development in 2002 and in internet years, this game is as old as the Elder Scrolls themselves. I assumed the graphics would look super dated and aside from some of the textures seeming weird and flat by today's standards, the graphics look great overall. The color and quality of atmospheric light is lovely- the sunrises and sunsets can be particularly pretty and many environments have a shiny, happy feeling that feels very unique to this game. I was not sure it was even fully voiced and was expecting at least some text dialogue, but it is fully voiced and done very well. It was fun to pick out which characters were voiced by the same voice actors in Skyrim. The RPG element is much deeper in this game than in Skyrim- the character development is a thoughtful process that gives you a lot of control over how you want to play and your choices throughout also carry more weight. I would say that once i was able to stop comparing aspects to Skyrim, I was able to fully appreciate it for the game it is and I still have a lot of game to get through!

4.0 out of 5 stars good game, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
A good game for anyone into role playing games. I've played the other elder scroll games and this one just keeps the series getting better. It is a very time extensive game, so know you wont be finishing it in a night, or a week even. Which means its worth the money, because there is so much to do in it that finishing the game and not playing it anymore isnt an option. even once you complete this game you can go back in and do things different. really a good present for a person who enjoys games and likes to think

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, best for its time, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is a great game and was steller for its time. Don't expect the graphics to amaze anymore (get Skyrim if you want that). If you want a quality RPG game that has many hours of gameplay and a very advanced skill/leveling system than this is for you. If you want a quick, boring shooter, then don't bother. This 'game of year edition' is great since it has two compreshensive add-ons. I got it on sale around Chistmas for about $15, but even at $20 it is a good deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Great game. It can be a little harder to play than Skyrim and the graphics don't compare but let's try to remember when the game was created. Still... A very enjoyable game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth $20 [no spoilers], August 16, 2013
This review is from: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I completed this game 100% at close to 150 hours of gameplay, so just the time I got out of it alone was worth the $20. The world was very nice looking and for it's time the graphics are decent.

As for the story and quests I think I prefer Morrowind (which for those that don't know was the game before this one). The story was just okay and the quests themselves were not really anything new compared to Morrowind. The new Quest log is amazing compared to Morrowind though and was a much needed feature! Guilds were always one of my favorites parts of Morrowind. Oblivion didn't seem to have as many of them that had things to do and moving up in rank was way way way too easy compared to the previous game where you also had to meet skill requirements. Oblivion left that out so you just do quests and go up in rank after so many from a guild.

Battles annoyed me. I liked Morrowind's system better, even though in this game you can hit something each time unlike Morrowind where you need to build your skill up to have a better change to hit the enemy. The battle may have been better if you actually had something to battle. Outside of the caves/forts/etc it was rare to run into an enemy to fight and travel got boring.

The extra DLC that is included was pretty fun. The Knights one was entertaining but it felt like it was a replacement of the Temple Guild quests from Morrowind. Shivering Isles could be worth $20 almost on it's own. The story was so much more fun than the Oblivion story line and it made up probably close to 25-50 hours worth of gameplay all on it's own. The world was decent sized with lots to discover and there was plenty of new quests to work on.

Overall, the game is well worth the $20 price. I just wish they had done better with the main story line and kept the skill requirements for the guild ranks to give it more of a challenge.

Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) -Xbox 360