Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Obnoxious -- presents theory as fact.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2006 10:21:36 PM PDT
A. Knepper says:
The unconscious mind in all of its forms is nothing but a theory -- and a non-falsiable one at that, so it's not a scientific one. Gladwell presents it as fact, being deceptive... Also, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Is our gut instinct right? Chalk one up to the unconscious mind! Was the hunch wrong? That's alright, it was just a bad hunch, doesn't mean much. Take for example, the firefighter anecdote -- maybe he knew to get out because THE FIRE WASN'T GOING OUT. Without the floor collapsing, there's no story (example on under "Blink")... He couldn't foretell the floor collapsing, he just knew to get out because the fire wasn't ceasing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2007 10:55:16 AM PDT
As someone who has been thier ( not as a firefighter ) but in dangerous positions, I disagree with the post thier is an unconsious mind and gut feelings do tell if you listen to them.
I would buy the book and actually will be basing my marketing concepts on these view points, sorry you have such a negative viewpoint maybe if you openrd your mind a little you might be able to start a successful business like the rest of us that have visision instead of struggling as an employee.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2007 6:36:55 PM PDT
Lois A. says:
Well, how do you know that the facts are wrong. Did you check the sources of the studies he suggests?

The concepts that the writer explains are very simple. It surprises me that a book needs to be written about that, but I guess people like the writer of the above comment make the book necessary.

Your brain is a computer which has been collecting data ever since you were born. When you are in a situation which demands you be quick on your fit, the brain captures data from the immediate environment, processes it, and gives you an answer. The answer is based on the data bank you have in your brain.

In my experience, people, like the poster above, who require proof for everything, don't want to use their common sense. A lot of things are just matter of common sense, so the poster is missing out on a lot of knowledge.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2007 7:19:39 AM PDT
Eric Vondy says:
My fear was that I was going to read a sales pitch on the power of going with your gut. I found quite the opposite. The book was well researched and balanced. The anecdote A. Knepper mentions is, if I recall correctly, at the beginning of the book. Perhaps he didn't read further. I found the sections on reading faces and the Amadou Diallo murder very interesting. This is an excellent book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2006
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Blink : The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink : The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (Paperback - August 7, 2001)
3.9 out of 5 stars (2,230)