Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2008 12:01:30 PM PDT
Christine22 says:
I do not agree that the way to enlightenment is to observe the ego or to negate the ego (I think what is meant by ego here = mind =left brain functioning). Without our ability to think and analyze, we'd be dysfunctional. We were given left brain functioning to make sense of things; the ego is not "bad" or the root of evil. Rather than obsessing over the ego and trying to "let go of it," (yeah, right) let's use it to question our most cherished beliefs and put together the bigger picture using both our left-brain and right-brain (soul, intuition, heart) functions. You need a balance here, not a negation.
There is a bigger picture about why things are the way they are on earth but Tolle does not see it. Your soul has a bigger plan for your life. You will need to look deeper than the ego to see it, you will need to pay attention to the guidance of your soul (your intuition), but also you cannot negate your ego or let go of it because you will need to use it to form this bigger picture understanding. Once you do this though, instead of blaming the ego you will begin to understand why your life is the way it is and that even your biggest issues are based on your deep Love for people, life, and even the self. Go deep enough and you will find this Love.
For anyone tired of blaming the ego, for anyone wanting an understanding of life that's based on love, where the foundation and reason for life is Love and passion, where there's something more than the "this too will pass" "pain-body" attitude, I would recommend "Courageous Souls: Do we plan our life challenges before birth?" by Robert Schwartz. Schwartz's excellent book explains why we might have WANTED to experience hardships in life. I would also recommend my own book, "What Everyone Believed: A Memoir of Intuition and Awakening," which shows and explains the entire picture and the beautiful and exalted reasons for why we jumped at the chance to experience life here. It shows the divine reasons for our sojourn into "duality," as well as the way beyond it, so that so that we can now begin experiencing new possibilities consistent with the "Golden Age"-our extraordinary destiny. We will have to do some work and let go of some of our beliefs, of course, but not our ego.--Christine Hoeflich, author of "What Everyone Believed: A Memoir of Intuition and Awakening"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 8:59:18 PM PDT
The ego as you put it cannot "be used to form this bigger picture understanding" as you conceptualize it here because it would only succeed in deluding you via distorted thinking(i.e., an idealized future) that it could accomplish that.

Also negating the ego isn't what Eckhart's advocating because that wouldn't be realistic as well. It's only an awareness of the ego's modus operandi when creating space around it which allows one in time to extricate himself/herself from its chronic grasp.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2008 1:22:28 PM PDT
Christine22 says:
I have to disagree that the mind cannot be used to form this bigger picture understanding--you were given a mind and you have a soul but most people make the mistake of either/or thinking rather than both/and thinking and a bigger picture understanding cannot be possible with the former. I also have no wish to extricate myself from my mind's "chronic grasp," seeing that it serves me well. My mind for example helped show this bigger picture understanding in my book. (It is best shown, rather than just stated, as stating something without backing it up is meaningless. Besides, when you simply state something rather than backing it up, anyone can then argue with you over nothing. It's futile.) I agree that humanity is still living in illusion but this illusion was necessary. The illusion had a greater, divine, albeit temporary, purpose--which you can begin to see when you not only experience this Presence but go much further and actually trust it and follow through with it. By the way, this is how you begin to discover your individual, original purpose for being here as well--you trust the guidance of this Presence. You then begin to connect to the power of interconnectedness and experience its gifts--profound insights, synchronicities, and universal cooperation--which leads to a much more satisfying life. And yeah, I can totally get that Tolle quit long ago to see a more satisfying future for humanity--you claim as well that this would be "distorted thinking." But that doesn't mean others have not seen this deeper pespective or that this bigger picture understanding does not exist.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2008 5:09:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2008 5:10:20 PM PDT
If you reread what I wrote, you'll see that it was the EGO I addressed(with respect to extricating oneself from its chronic grasp)instead of the MIND. I have no problem with the latter because it serves alot of practical functions for everyone(i.e, calculating income tax, in fact simply basic math calculations).

However(in that same realm of "calculation"), Einstein's discoveries for instance in Relativity Theory were intuitive based creative discoveries which didn't arise from the mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2008 11:38:45 AM PDT
Christine22 says:
Thanks for clarifying, so you mean "the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world" (which to me is awareness), "the "I" or self of any person" (also awareness) or do you mean "self-esteem or self-image"? Should we call ego "psyche" then, since all these dictionary definitions of "ego" basically point to the psyche?
Yes, Einstein's discoveries were intuitive-based, but they came through the psyche. Without a psyche, he could not have gotten the insights. (I would tend to say more so the right-brain than left-brain, but he also had to use his left-brain to make sense of this insight.) The right brain is our connection to creation, intuition, oneness, etc., and the left brain makes sense of things, is logical. If we had no left brain we would be dysfunctional and could not recognize basic patterns necessary for survival. (Sometimes the left brain is referred to as the "ego" part of the brain, the individual, but without this recognition you'd have no sense of yourself as an individual and also there would be no individual purpose for your life here. But I believe we not only have a common purpose, but also our own unique gift we are here to offer the world---and we need both parts of the brain to access and make sense of it.
So anyway, it's obvious to me a balance between left and right brain is necessary, rather than the crazy obssession I see all over the internet about "undoing the ego" or "negating the ego." Because if what you mean by "ego" is simply "egotism" or "conceit," then the people who have had their egos "undone" seem to me to have the biggest ones. And if it is simply "conceit" that Tolle refers to, then please let's use that word and stop messing with people's minds because "ego" refers to "mind" or "psyche" more so than "conceit."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2008 12:19:37 AM PDT
P Cassidy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2008 2:26:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2008 11:35:32 PM PDT
What a joy to read your words, Christine. So clear, clean, and obvious. Perhaps like me and so many many others, you've done what Tolle says he's done: walked in the Light, been washed by Bliss, understood your perfect safety and unique divinity not to mention your eternal and infinite identity? Unfortuntely, to people in pain, very little is obvious aside from their pain...which has been blamed on the poor benighted ego in every "religion" and by almost every teacher since, it seems, forever. Tolle is no exception. (I've been having an interesting conversation on the comment section of my own review of Tolle's book, but this is obviously the better place to speak out.)

I do wish Oprah had found a sweeter message, one clearer, better, brighter...she has such power to sway the masses and she seems so sincere, but obviously not sophisticated enough to tell old rope from silken threads. Pity. There are three sources I can think of off the top of my head that if Oprah had recommended would have folks weeping with relief...not writing reviews about controlling their poor ego. How lovely if they could instead rejoice in self, embracing its singular never-to-be-repeated expression. What a world we would create if we saw it and ourselves as divine. I do believe Tolle had an "experience," but like Saint Theresa who had many experiences, he "came back" unable to clearly explain it, falling back on what was said by the Hindoos long long ago: the same old Kill the Ego, Find God madness. In any case, the idea of Ego Death has been with us from the beginning (Ie: Inanna and her trip to the Underworld). The death of the Persona in order to rise again into the Higher Self is what the ancient tale of the mangod (or womangod: Inanna, Persephone) is all about. The mangod has been with us in many manifestations: Krishna, Osiris, Dionysis, Jesus, Mithras.

You know, as I write this, I realize there's so much groundwork to lay down. That's why I recommend The Secret Magdalene, a novel by Ki Longfellow. You'll find the groundwork there. And no doubt, from your words, in your own work. I should really just try and sum it up by saying as you've said: the ego is NOT evil. That's the same tired old sad and destructive idea that's fueled so many religions. IE: The world is evil, we are sinners, we have to transcend both the world and ourselves. Wrong. The world is a manifestation of Ultimate Consciousness. It's an illusion, a game, a dance, an adventure in which we partake as many times as we wish in as many roles as we wish. If we weren't so inculcated with the Idea of World as Bad into which we have Fallen due to our Sinful Natures, we'd stop trying to transcend it, love it to pieces, enjoy our brief and changeable persona (ego) for what it is, and then go back to Glory when it's time. No need to do it before time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2008 10:18:03 PM PDT
Promise says:
Hello to Christine, Mark and my new friend, Constant Reader:

Christine I was interested in your words about the greater meaning of creating pain and problems in our lives, as part of our souls' bigger plan. I've seen in my work as an intuitive counselor and past life researcher that we do, indeed, choose our life circumstance to teach ourselves lessons. It's about the resolution of karma. I could give many, many examples of how this works as I've seen it in operation in my own life and those of my clients.

I do agree that we "stand in line" to come to this planet to work these matters out and that it's a mistake to try to bypass this learning stage by dissolving the ego. I don't think the ego will dissolve by the simple exercises that Tolle gives (although I admit that I have not read all of his work). I have tried to get clients to give up their various forms of sickness and suffering in an effort to experience the blissful Oneness that these ego-less schools promise, only to discover that the soul will not let go until the lessons are learned! There is profound wisdom in the Soul and profound justice in the whole system.

I also believe that many of us have come to Earth to take on these problems, embody them, experience them as our own, and then to heal them. When we heal our own "share" of the problem, we are doing it for all of humanity. There are many methods available for doing the healing. Perhaps Tolle's method of just being in the now, will do it for some. If so, bravo!

I have more to say on the subject but, as I told Constant Reader on another section of this site, I'm giving myself a little break from discussing Tolle. I just read "Serpent of Light" by Drunvalo Melchizedek which I found as heartfelt, warm, joyous, human and encouraging, as I found Tolle pale and cold.

I did want to jump in here, though, before I forgot about it to agree with your assertion that the whole trip...down from God into matter, making karma, resolving it, is important...is beyond important! and should not be aborted by by-passes. Again, there is so much more to be said on this matter and I'm not sure we're going to settle anything here, but it is a subject worth discussion I feel.

Blessings to All!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 10:00:27 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 1:10:17 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2008 7:21:32 PM PDT
I really enjoyed your summary of the previous posts.....I think you have a lot to say and most of it makes sense to me....but don't understand the notion that we partake in the dance of life, the illusion, the game "as many times as we wish in as many roles as we wish". Are you referring to reincarnation or roles in our one lifetime ??
Thanks for the clarification........ I too love the world to pieces !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2008 9:23:09 PM PDT
Seeker says:
I am not an evolved person and I will not pretend to be one. I am very intrigued by your comments Christine, and plan to read your book. But I wonder why is there such a desire to pooh-pooh others' ideas? Does the answer have to be the same for everyone? Why can't Tolle's belief be right for Tolle, mine for me and yours for you. If you are a believer in intuition (and I am), why won't you allow Tolle the luxury of being guided by his intuition? I haven't read Schwartz's book either (have filed that away in my wishlist too), but it seems from your post that he talks about the notion that we make choices about our life before we are born. If that is indeed true, Tolle would have made this choice for himself too. What can be wrong with that? I am not sure we humans have the ability to wrap our minds around the Truth, let alone explain it to others. Very few people are able to get an elevated level of understanding AND communicate it with some lucidity. Buddha, Jesus, Einstein come to mind (The Theory of Relativity completely beats me though!) Given the combination of a concept that our mind can't readily grasp AND language which is such an ineffective medium (you guys couldn't even agree on the definition of the word ego in this post), why the obsession to label things as right or wrong? We are all unique beings and what works for one may not work for the other. Maybe I am trying too hard (and I shouldn't) to make a left brain argument for a right brain thought: To each his own.

I do not intend any offense to anyone. Just trying to understand why Tolle has to be wrong for you to be right. I see both of you as right (or wrong for that matter), in your own right!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 11:37:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2008 10:15:06 PM PDT
Christine22 says:
Hi Seeker,
I don't have a desire to pooh-pooh Tolle's ideas, but rather to offer my own understanding--which might come across to some people as pooh-poohing and to others as offering my understanding, and I have little control over other's interpretations. (I'll work on it though.) The other thing is, Tolle's ideas are hardly Tolle's ideas as they stem from other traditions that have been around for a long time. I am also seeing this "blame the ego" and "undo the ego" obsession all over the internet, and am responding to it. I feel that blaming the ego and undoing the ego will have the opposite effect of its intention and will only cause more dysfunction. (I suppose that's why I feel it necessary to speak up.) In fact in my book, I offer a bigger picture of life where everyone of us is right in the end--because believing and buying into the things each one of us bought into had a higher, divine purpose: so that we humans could play this earth game with complete conviction and learn through firsthand experience rather than theory. Learning the hard way is way more effective and way quicker than learning just through theory, so we chose our hardships and difficult experiences to learn as quickly as possible, as well as to create opportunities to "rise up to the challenge"--so that we could experience ourselves as capable of more than we thought. So that we could "come to know who we are." (This is personal growth, evolution. The soul doesn't care too much about the hardships, it wants to grow and evolve spiritually. And this sojourn into duality was to be temporary--hardly a glitch in the process of the universe.) Anyway, there is a bigger picture that's way more empowering to humanity and way more enlightening than what I see offered by the "ego" bandwagon---and it's time for that. It also shows the way beyond duality. Interestingly, understanding the higher, beautiful, divine reasons for our experience in duality is also exactly what leads us beyond it.

As far as the meaning of the word "ego", if you listen to these "ego" experts, sometimes when they use the word "ego" they really mean mind or left brain, sometimes they mean arrogance, and sometimes they mean personality or sense self as an individual. They lump the word "ego" into all these different contexts and therefore are deliberately vague and unclear about what they really mean. In any case, blaming the ego or "undoing the ego" is not the solution and really, it promotes dysfunction. What you focus on grows.

It seems to me anyway that "ego" is to eastern religions as "sin" is to western religions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2010 6:23:54 AM PDT
A zen master once said:
"Forget about enlightenment, just drop your opinions".

I suggest considering that statement and then purchase and carefully study the "Tao Te Ching", by Lao Tzu(choose whichever translation you like) for the rest of your life, you won't really need more than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2010 12:34:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2010 12:36:17 PM PDT
Wally Weet says:
Y'know, the ego is such a loaded word. Since Freud it can mean almost anything. I like "role". To speak of the role we develop while growing up in order to function in society makes such good sense to me. Then we simply make a mistake. We begin to think the role is who we are. Then we cling to it, we attach ourselves to it. To attach ourselves to it instead of playing with it and using it (cause it isn't a bad thing) we hang onto it as though it is a lifeboat in a storm. It isn't. Y'know what it is like? It is exactly like the roles actors develop for the stage or screen. They do the left brain thing and develop their role and play it and when the curtain comes down they let go of it and keep it aside 'cause they're gonna play with it tomorrow. Roles are good. Attachment is bad. Left Brain Right Brain are both good. The balance of both is best. Nirvana.

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 12:38:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2010 12:39:42 PM PDT
Wally Weet says:
By the way, has anyone mentioned that Tolle's first name used to be Ulrich? He adopted Eckhart in homage to Meister Eckhart a 13th century mystic. ...a Dominican, I think he was.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 12:34:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2011 12:39:19 AM PST
Most people living on this planet are not ready for the full-on no holes barred version of "A Course in Miracles", source from which most of Eckhart's "teachings" come from. So what we get is Eckhart's "condensed light version" (bring only the dressing and leave the salad in the kitchen) i.e. god did not create the physical universe nor does it really exist apart from the one projecting it) version of this wonderful spiritual masterpiece. Both, The Power of Now and The New Earth are great primers to a better life (while appearing to live in duality). Pure non-duality does not serve well those who still "love the earth" and seek true and lasting fulfillment from the impermanent and changing nature of the world... I do find great value in learning to "be in the world but not of it"...

A Zen saying: No self no problem

Namaste

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 3:48:42 AM PST
Wally Weet says:
We are a product of cosmic evolution. That is the place to start thinking about our spiritual reality. After the Big Bang the next big step came when protons and electrons suddenly came together and formed the first material - hydrogen. No hydrogen has been made since that first moment maybe 14 billion years ago. So when we take a drink of water we connect with the first moment in material time. That is a true and factual communion and to be aware of it is to root ourselves in our actual past, a past involving stars that cooked into being the rest of the matter in our bodies. We are truly and literally StarStuff. Our little pieces of matter were out there in space. They came together when the solar system was created by gravity. Those little pieces formed our Earth and the other planets and the Sun.

The process of evolution continued and out of those little bits, Life emerged and evolved toward this creature who has become aware of itself as a blooming fruit of the cosmos. Then this creature, this human, evolved society. And that is where our confusions begin.

We have to negotiate our way in society. Society by its nature requires social human beings. We need to evolve a role that helps us live successfully in society and beginning at about age 2 to 4 depending on the individual, we begin creating that role. The basic roles of male and female are already incipient in our genetic structure and contribute toward the evolving social role we develop. Gradually we begin to choose behaviors that work and that helps us to "know" who we are. And in every culture we develop a different portrait or role for ourselves. Pakistani men develop a different sense of self than Irish men. Japanese women develop a different sense of self than Iroquois women. New Yorkers male and female recognize each other by the time they are in their teens. This sense of self that we develop to negotiate the ways of society is only a small and selected part of our fully embodied, fully evolved personhood, but works pretty well. And we do pretty well. We get along with other kids and our bosses approve of the way we respond and behave. We find ourselves successful so we think THIS IS ME! And we convince ourselves that this ME is unalterable, "Sorry, I don't do windows". And we ATTACH ourself to it. It is in that attachment to a role that has served us pretty well that we make a mistake. We need to become aware of the attachment, the need for the role.

It is also because of our attachment to our role/ego/sense-of-self that we cause misery for ourselves and trouble for others. For example, the role many men develop in societies makes them think they must dominate women and the role/ego many women develop in societies make them think they must act like one dominated. There are so many examples of how our attachment to a perfectly useful way of negotiating society's demands lessens us, makes us feel miserable. This is not new, Folks, Siddhartha awakened to this reality 2500 years ago which is why he is called the Man who Woke Up: Buddha. But the problem stays with us because society won't teach us about this. Learning who we are is not part of any curriculum. Religions for the most part develop as a function of this social phenomenon and are not interested in leading us toward our full reality. Society wants us to stay in line. But learning that we are so much more than our social role is not a bad thing. If we free ourself from attachment to the role we still know the role and can play it successfully in social situations. Loosening ourselves from the need to cling to the role is freeing, liberating. Not clinging leads us to the wholeness that is always within ourselves. Use the role/ego/sense-of-self happily and playfully. It's ok.

It's only the illusion that role is all of me that is troublesome and limiting. So then transcendence is merely coming to understand that I do not have to cling to my role, my ego, my sense of self. All I have to transcend to become a spiritually mature human being is my ATTACHMENT to the ego/role.

Our ego role is exactly like the roles actors learn to play upon the stage. Actors learn to pick and choose from aspects of themselves to create the character they are going to play. They seem to us to have become someone else. They are not. They are only themselves which is all they can be. And when the curtain comes down, they leave the stage and they leave behind the character they played. They do not attach to that character. To do so would be madness. For us to ATTACH ourselves to the ego role we developed to negotiate society also can lead to madness.

To understand all this is to know the answers to the two primal human questions. Who are we and Where do we come from? We emerged from the cosmos itself. We are StarStuff. We are one of the many children of mother Earth. Thus we are an evolved element of the cosmos and more than that, we are the Universe Aware of Itself.

To know all this is to have let go of attachment to the limited role we develop to get along in society and to have transcended the limitations of the role and to have begun to live our fullest destiny in freedom and joy.
Cosmic blessings all.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 4:48:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2011 5:19:45 AM PST
Joseph Johns says:
Hi all,

Let's forget about ego for a second, and worry about the practical matter of
how to deal with thoughts and feelings which make us miserable. What to do when you are trapped there, miserable?

The goal is to "observe ones thoughts and feelings without judgement".
Now the reason why people find this seems to lead to more misery (or "watching ego leads to more ego" ) is the "without judgement" part is
rather tricky sometimes. It is quite easy to start getting down on yourself for your own thoughts and feelings and then you are just piling more judgement and misery on.

My own experience is: When this happens, switch tacts to more of a "there is nothing I can really do
I can only let things be" type of approach, and maybe a more light hearted teacher like Alan Watts. Just try to relax and forget about it for a while.

What I found, as I went on, was that this "observing" is a very very light touch; just a little flick of the eye internally. To the miserable me it seems like nothing at all. Probably as I go on I will realize I can be more subtle still.

One more crucial thing I found was to separate the thoughts and the feelings. You have a bad feeling, and there are some thoughts attached. OK. Now try to set the thoughts off to one side and just focus your attention on the feeling. Let it be. What happens to it?

I remember recently watching a youtube clip of a guy (a spriritual teacher?) who'd spent a long time in jail. He'd read some transcripts of Ramana* who said go to the ego, go to the center of your misery, seek it out. So this fellow after reading Ramana tried to kill his ego, he said "die" to it for hours every day for several months. Then he came to teh conclusion that the ego cannot be killed.

Now what I want to say about that is that it is a mis-understanding of the instructions given by Ramana.
The tricky thing is when you say "die" it is ego speaking. It is self-judgement. That of course only strengthens your identification with miserable thoughts and feelings. As Alan watts said: Overcoming the ego is not a big task because it's an illusion, but if you try to do it with ego then you will go on to the end of time.

Tolle said in an interview: To be free of ego just means when a thought comes you can allow it
to just come and go without getting mixed up in it. He also said I don't say to myself " I am free of ego"
because I don;t think in those terms; that is an egoic statement.

I also came upon a striking statement atributed to Jesus (which would have meant nothing to me a few months ago):

"And the eye is the lamp of the body, and so if your eye is healthy then your body is full of light. But if your eye is unhealthy then the light becomes darkness, and because it is the light of God, how dark is that darkness!"

How beautiful a way to say the same thing (as Ramana and Tolle and Alan Watts
and J Krishnamurti and all other enlightened folks I've heard)

*Ramana may not the correct name exactly- I mean the guy who thought he was
dying at 16 or 17 and so he laid down to watch death come. He was transformed internally and then left his parents house without saying anything and was discovered at a religious temples where he stayed and did not speak for 12 years. Then he told people some things. He said; Yoga is good, but first above all else seek out who you are. )

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 11:55:50 AM PST
Wally Weet says:
The practical matter of how to deal with thoughts and feelings that make us miserable IS ALL ABOUT the EGO WHICH IS ALSO TRANSLATED AS THE ROLE I HAVE DEVELOPED IN ORDER TO NEGOTIATE THE DEMANDS OF THE SOCIETY I GREW UP IN. IT IS LIKE A MASK. THE EGO IS JUST SELECTED PARTS OF OUR PSYCHIC POTENTIAL OUR TALENTS. AND IT IS GOOD. IT IS OK. IT IS NECESSARY.

THE PROBLEM WITH THE EGO IS THAT WE COME TO BELIEVE THAT THIS ROLE WE DEVELOPED IS ALL OF US. IT IS NOT. AND WHEN YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU BEGIN TO LAY THE GROUNDWORK FOR PAIN.... PAIN FOR YOU AND ALL YOUR LOVED ONES AND YOUR PLACE IN SOCIETY. THE CLINGING, THE NEED,U THE ATTACHMENT ARE WHAT GIVES A PERFECTLY BENIGN EGO/ROLE DEVELOP PROBLEMS.
REMEMBER EGO IS ONLY the role we play, OR our little self; THE NAMES ARE ALL ABOUT the same thing. And the misery creator, this thing about us that makes us think we know who we are while at the same time makes us do awful things and give pain to loved ones is precisely the ego. Once again ego is the role we develop from the time we're about three years old to make living life possible in a society. And it is ok. It is necessary. It is good. It is who we think we are. It is that voice in me that says things like I've got to be the best in this company. ...the voice that says women should take their proper place. ...the voice that tells you who you are. It's a social voice. And it is a useful voice. It serves its purpose, but when you cling to it like it is your final possibility, that it is you and all of you; when you CLING to it like that 'you are making the misery you are talking about. Think about that.

The solution is to let go of the idea that that idea of yourself is all of you; and to understand you are so much more; that you have infinite possibilities, infinite things you can do, many talents that you can develop;that you DO NOT have to do WHAT You have developed over the years to make it possible for you to operate successfully in society. DO THE ROLE. BUT DON'T BELIEVE IT IS NECESSARY EXCEPT IN A CERTAIN SOCIAL CONTEXT.

Now, how do you let go? Stop excusing yourself. Stop making excuses. Accept full responsibillity for everything you do. OWn what you do. Accept the fact that human children of the universe are not perfect nor need be. Stop making rationalizations. Just take responsibility: "Right" "I did it"
Yes, officer, I was doing sixty. YOu're right." THAT IS THE STRENGTH THAT COMES WITH KNOWING WHO YOU ARE BEYOND YOUR EGO/ROLE. "YES, SIR. THAT IS ME. I BROKE YOUR WINDOW." Really, it is all about coming to realize who you are. There is no name for that. It is accompanied by a feeling of freedom. And the strength to let go and accept yourself for what you are is recognized by everyone as strength.
B
BILL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 12:33:37 PM PST
Yes, it was Nisargadatta the Indian sage who said, "everything you know about yourself came outside you so reject it."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Apr 1, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A New Earth - Awakening To Your Life's Purpose
A New Earth - Awakening To Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle (Paperback - 2006)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (3,016)