5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest hard rock albums ever!
Obsession is almost too good to be true.
I bought the remastered Japanese import from Amazon and I'm listening to it today for the first time. I'm blown away.
Published on January 11, 2002 by Just Bill

3.0 out of 5 stars Remaster does not stand up to the others
Although a great CD from a great band, this remaster does not stand up from a sound quality aspect compared to the others I have recently listened to. Example, Force it, Phenomenon, and Lights Out sound great - this one does not have anywhere near the punch and clarity. I'd buy the others and avoid this one until a better version is available.
Published on November 2, 2007 by Christopher J. Kupczyk

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest hard rock albums ever!, January 11, 2002
Just Bill (Grand Rapids, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
Obsession is almost too good to be true.
Not only is the production and digital remastering incredible, but the song selection is as mesmerizing and magical as you'll find anywhere. This is, without a doubt, one of the finest hard rock albums ever recorded!
Growing up, I was more familiar with Lights Out (1977), Force It (1975) and Phenomenon (1974). I listened to those albums on occasion, but lost track of UFO shortly after Lights Out.
For the record, Lights Out contains one of my all-time favorite tracks ("Love to Love") but no less than FIVE of UFO's best songs call Obsession home: "Only You Can Rock Me," "Lookin' Out For No. 1," "Hot 'n' Ready," "Cherry," and "Born to Lose" -- and not a single track of the other six is a dud. Virtually this entire CD could be called a "greatest hits" package!
Originally released in 1978, and featuring one of the most recognizable and bizarre Hipgnosis covers of all time, Obsession was arguably UFO's high-water mark. Guitarist Michael Schenker bailed after Obsession and second bannana guitarist Paul Raymond filled in for No Place to Run (1980), which was the beginning of the end of the classic UFO line-up and sound.
Obsession is a feast for the ears, with lots of blistering, squeaking guitar, classic Phil Mogg vocals, crisp drumming from Andy Parker, solid songwriting and bass playing from Pete Way and some great contributions from Paul Raymond.
Although this is undoubtedly a total band effort, it's probably Michael Schenker that shines brightest on Obsession -- which is something I hate to admit given his surly personality and widely reported dismal treatment of his band mates.
Schenker's playing runs the gamut, from pleasant, almost Medieval acoustic licks ("Arbory Hill") to take-no-prisoners riffing on "Pack It Up," "Ain't No Baby" and "Hot 'n' Ready."
"Ain't No Baby," another of my favorite tracks, is a rock-solid track that begins slowly and sweetly...then kicks into high gear with a growling, bottom-heavy riff and some truly remarkable and melodic background vocals on the chorus. Brilliant.
Obsession is UFO at their absolute best. No fan of melodic hard rock should be without this album. I can't believe I was without it for nearly 25 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars classic rock at its finest, November 6, 2006
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
UFO at the top of their game. I have recently been listening to my collection of UFO classics. The entire collection is excellent,however, I feel this and "lights Out" are the most consistent. Every song is notable. If you like powerful, catchy, hard driving rock with the perfect mix of melody and power, then this CD is for you. This CD rewards multiple listens. Indeed, I appreciate it more now than I did twenty-eight years ago, when I first purchased it and the sound of this remastered version is a vast improvement over the earlier CD reissue.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 2008 remasters, August 1, 2008
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
I previously reviewed this CD after purchasing the remastered version made in 1999. I felt that version was a vast improvement over the initial CD release, although it still sounded flat. I just purchased the 2008 remastered and extended version by EMI. Although I now own three different issues of this album, I am satisfied with my purchase. The 2008 remaster is vastly better than the 1999 issue. It has a much fuller sound. As for the songs, I continue to believe that they are as good as any ever recorded by UFO. This and the other Schenker era CDs are a must have for any fan of classic rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONLY YOU CAN ROCK ME, March 5, 2002
Michael Courtney "exiled01" (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
The greatest release ever by UFO! That, of course, is my opinion, but let me get a little more into why. This release featured the same line-up as LIGHTS OUT, the next greatest album by UFO, Schenker, Mogg, Way, Parker, and Paul Raymond. This had to be the best line-up the band ever sported. It's not just the band that makes this a superior release, but the music and the lyrics.
What clinched UFO as a great band to me was watching them open for Rush two nights in a row at the Municipal Auditorium in San Antonio. Talk about two nights in heaven. My vocabulary isn't good enough to describe Schenker's artistry on guitar and the precision of the rest of the band. Both of these shows are 2 of the best concerts I ever attended!
The album they were promoting was OBSESSION. They were convincing enough to go buy it and FORCE IT, the only two with Schenker I didn't have at the time. The number of good songs here is, let me see, how many on the disc, 11, yes, 11 great songs! My favorites are "Pack it Up & Go", "Cherry", "Only You Can Rock Me", "One More for the Rodeo", "You Don't Fool Me", and "Born to Lose". Not unlike the Scorpions UFO have the ability to rock, to play ballads, and to churn out great instrumentals like "Arbory Hill".
This CD is something that you will regret not having bought sooner. It is that good! Quit wasting time and order it now! Help complete that serious Rock collection of yours with a gem of a release. Get obsessed, buy OBSESSION!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most listened to album in my collection, September 3, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
If I could give this album more than 5 stars I would. I bought this record about 20 years ago and I have always enjoyed listening to it. Phil Mogg and Michael Schenker proved they were a formidable team here. The use of orchestration works well and compliments Schenkers masterful guitar work. Every song grabbed me in some way and I wish UFO could somehow repeat the MAGIC they created with "Obsession".

5.0 out of 5 stars UFO's Finest Work!, October 28, 2004
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
This album is good from start to finish. Not one bad apple in the bunch. Schenker's guitar tone is fantastic! My favorites are Only You Can Rock Me, Arbory Hill, Looking Out For No.1, Hot N Ready, You Don't Fool Me, and One More For The Rodeo. I like the lyric to I Ain't No Baby ("Stay Away, FOREVER"). Cool cover prompting Schenker to ask his bandmates "Why am I the only one without balls?". This would be Schenker's final studio album w/ UFO until the rocking Walk On Water in 1995. Lights Out is another classic UFO album you should get if you don't have it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good rock for your head, April 20, 2005
Phil (South California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
Michael Schenker is a master of electric guitar solo phraseology. He soars, he swoops, he glides, he crashes, then he blasts off from the ashes. Phil Mogg has a voice that'll stick it's finger in your face, Paul Raymond is The Man of a Thousand Noises, and Way and Parker are monstrous through the bass cones; but it's Schenker who makes you open all your windows and jump out on the lawn and air-guitar yourself into a frenzy. Rockers, ballads, and anthems, all killer, no filler.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC UFO, April 26, 2009
Baddstuff "music junkie" (astoria, ny United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
sadly, like the great Thin Lizzy, UFO was and remains underrated. Oh yeah, both bands have their share of hardcore fans but both bands should have been bigger. This is easily one of UFO's best studio albums. Good songwriting and good musicianship are hard to beat. Too bad there aren't more bands like this around today. I've had it UP TO HERE with the likes of the Foo Fighters and bands like that. Sorry Dave, what you do doesn't work for me.
the rest of you...get this CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a well oiled Smith & Wesson..., December 31, 2007
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
UFO should have been primed for major US success after the release of 1977's 'Lights Out' and the June 1978 release of its immediate followup 'Obession'. However band chemistry (both literally and figuratively) was always teetered on self-implosion and the tour to support 'Obsession' proved to be the final straw that broke UFO's legendary lineup and any momentum that was needed to reach superstar status. The present record, again produced by Ron Nevison, featured a more bombastic sound and top gloss production job. Andy Parker sounds immense and Michael's guitar sound was never surpassed. Songs include "Only You Can Rock Me", which is probably my least favorite of their classics. I don't know why, maybe cuz of the chourus - kinda monotonous. I prefer the one-two punch of "Hot 'N' Ready" and "Cherry"; the former an amazing riff rocker with classic Phil Mogg vocals and lyrics and the latter, an amazing power ballad about "obsession" with a dancer (who hasn't been there?). Amazing! Others standouts include "You Don't Move Me", "Pack it Up" and "One More for the Rodeo". Two more power ballads (God I hate that term) close both sides of the original LP and I'm not crazy about either (especially "No. 1", kinda "Love to Love" lite). The guitar in "Born to Lose" makes this song slightly better but again, why another sappy tune to close the record? 'Obsession' would prove to be the end of an era for UFO though they would continue to make great records, the flirtation with superstardom ended with the departure of one Michael Schenker.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Masterpiece, February 13, 2007
This review is from: Obsession (Audio CD)
In terms of studio output this album signified the end of the "classic line up" to the dismay of myself and many young rock fans back in the late seventies. But what a masterpiece they recorded to bow out with! The general consensus amongst reviewers seem to agree that these heights were not reached again until this line up reformed for "Walk on Water". The guitar work really soars especially on "Ain't No Baby" and "Lookin' Out for No. 1" without being over indulgent. "Hot 'n' Ready" really rocks and "Cherry" is yet another showpiece for Moggy's lyrics and vocals. Although not one of my personal favourites "Only You Can Rock Me" finally gave UFO credible chart success and a commercial rock anthem to rival "Doctor Doctor". All round fabulous must have UFO album.

ARRAY(0xd9a01d18)

Obsession
Obsession by UFO (Audio CD - 1999)