5.0 out of 5 stars Primary Source Material and Former Leftists Lend Credibility

Published on January 18, 2013 by Lunar Boulevard

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Inconsistant, January 18, 2013
Lunar Boulevard (Jefferson City, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Occupy Unmasked (DVD)
I have a lot of respect for Andrew Breitbart and he was certainly a brilliant guy, yet this film doesn't truly represent the great insights that he had. This documentary does a decent job of showing the roots of the Occupy Wall Street movement, though it wasn't hard to see the hypocrisy and contrived nature that these demonstrations were displaying. After all, it's pretty silly to protest in front of big corporations when you're wearing designer clothes, texting on an iPhone, and storing your money in the very banks you claim are corrupt. The film certainly exposes the ignorance and chaos that ensued from these disorganized campouts.

The problem is that it feels too repetitive and low on information to fill the time limit. If this had been a 30 minute special then it would have been captivating, yet after an hour you can only watch so much footage of the same thing happening before you begin to tune out. I had to struggle to pay attention and keep myself invested in what was happening. The first half hour is great and looks at some of the people and incidents that the media didn't cover; after that there's not much that really happens and ultimately it makes the film less effective. The pacing and flow were simply too jumpy to make the experience appear seamless, even though the information presented is quite good in and of itself.

Regardless of how you feel about the movement, this is certainly worth looking into. I just wish it had been more coherent and featured more information for the last 45 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Primary Source Material and Former Leftists Lend Credibility, September 24, 2012
This review is from: Occupy Unmasked (DVD)
I was lucky enough to see an advanced screening over the summer and all I can say is WOW! This movie is hard-hitting with first-hand footage from OWS that you have to see to believe. The primary source footage is really what makes this movie stand out and proves OWS is lying when they attack the movie as false propaganda. Also the fact that many of the commentators in the movie are former leftist activists - including one who started out supporting OWS - really lends credibility to the movie.

If you're an OWS supporter who hasn't seen the movie - like the two people who gave the movie one star CLEARLY are! - you need to see it before you make up your mind and reject it. I have a feeling you'd be singing a different tune.

1.0 out of 5 stars Political pocket pool pompously provided posthumously., September 18, 2014
So I watched this movie on Amazon Instant Video, it was free to watch, and somehow I still felt cheated.
First lets talk about the trailer. I knew I was in for it when text describing Andrew Breitbart as "visionary" appeared on the screen. Let's face it Breitbart was a muckraking sensationalist who's BIG contribution to humanity was showing us the outline of Anthony Weiner's erection.
This movie fails to entertain on pretty much every level. There are several interviews with people who attended the protests but who were either stupid, just there for the yelling, or clearly stoned.
He highlights the hypocrisy of movement, which on many levels is fair. But never does he really talk about the validity of their points- unless he is building a straw man.
Its pretty one sided, and the "liberals" included are either people who have no credibility, or whose remarks are clearly being taken out of one context and being put in another.
It will change no one's opinion, and serves as intellectual self-pleasure for those who already agree with it.
Also the Occupy Movement does not use the Guy Fawkes mask, Anonymous does. Though Anons show up everywhere these days so I can see where one would get confused, and how an intellectually lazy person wouldn't bother to discern the difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating account that the media has concealed, October 1, 2012
This review is from: Occupy Unmasked (DVD)
When I finally watched the full film I was very impressed. Had these same people been right-wingers the media would have pounced on them and shredded them to pieces. But they weren't. They were progressive leftists and got an enormous pass. As a civil libertarian I have no objection to anyone having their say, but this group was more than just a protest -- it's the stalking horse for a serious street-level revolutionary movement that will bring a host of abuses in its path. The film is well done. You get the feeling of being there and of actually encountering the people of the Occupy movement.

I was present at a number of radical protests in the 1960s, including one where a university building was burned and a person was killed. This reminds me of that period -- the same intensity of emotion, radical rhetoric and mutually reinforcing actors in play. When you contrast this to a Tea Party meeting, with its music, flags and Uncle Sam suits, you can see the kind of America each of them wants. I marked it down one star because it does have a strong detectable bias, although that's in the nature of films like this.

If you want to understand this movement, you need to have this film and contrast it with sympathetic accounts of Occupy. There's a tendency to judge a movement in terms of what it says about itself and that is never complete. Unless you consider adversarial perspectives as well, you are not even close to being fully informed. This film provides that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hypocrisy at its best, February 20, 2015
I like to think I am open-minded by listening to different opinions and views that I don't necessarily share; a by-product of a liberal education? Obviously I knew what I was getting into before I hit play- just looking at the mask and anarchist A on the cover already paints a visual in the mind of the viewer that foreshadows that the Occupy Movement must be anti-establishment (anti-'merica!). It only takes about 5 minutes of viewing to see some of the inherent hypocrisy on behalf of the film makers. First off, one of the claims (or major themes) the movie makes is that the Occupy Movement is funded or backed by the left, and that the movement is disingenuous in any true beliefs because they are being controlled by Unions and mysterious "others". I found this very confusing and hypocritical, in that, almost anyone with access to basic cable or the internet knows that Citizens United and indeed the Tea Party is funded by the Koch Brothers; each of which is worth 50 billion each- if you've paid attention to the news lately, they have openly stated that they will pledge 900 million dollars in the next election to the republican candidate. That to me, seems more scary than any stoner in a tent on Wall Street. Another thing that sort of annoyed me were these non-fallacy arguments. For instance, Mr. Breitbart asks some demonstrators why society should subsidize college tuition and not instead help him by a new car? Free or affordable college tuition does not equate to a material object. The difference Mr. Breitbart is that the community benefits from an educated society. I was one of the rare students of my region to attend state university through the help of federal Pell Grants and other scholarships because I came from a low-income family (Dad's an Ironworker/ Mom's a secretary, and yes both are employed!) and now I am finishing up graduate school in cell and molecular biology. I want to give back to my taxpayers by using my knowledge to make bacteria that break down environmental toxins from petrol distillation. I already do research that makes artificial petroleum from algae. We need to get past this notion that people who need help are blood-suckers to our economy! I have to admit I had that same mentality when I worked as a pharmacy technician during my undergrad when I saw just how many people were on state Medicaid; to give you an idea roughly 50%. Come to find out, it wasn't that these people were the "lazy, unemployed slackers", but actually gainfully employed people at your local Wal-Mart, Target, Pet-Co (major retailers of America- you get the drift) that couldn't afford their companies own health insurance programs, and so have get their insurance from the government! We need to stop this Left-Right, "Us" vs "Them" mentality. This is America people! Whatever happened to "Together we stand, Divided we fall"? Let's help each other out and move forward for ALL of our prosperity!
- The End.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Missed Opportunity, November 12, 2013
Great summary of facts masked by interviewees that can't help but undermine their own credibility through clearly uneven commentary. Further, several of these people have an obvious agenda and/or aren't what I would consider credible sources. The information presented is quite obviously very well researched, but the repeated use of the same people for the added "commentary" often drowns out the facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real face of the revolution, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Occupy Unmasked (DVD)
Occupy Unmasked is a searing look at the reality behind the revolution that is trying to engulf the United States and all the industrial West. Based upon the narrative viewpoint of conservative superstar Andrew Breitbart the film is relentless in it's drive for the truth. With stunning photography , incredible editing and quick cut interviews Occupy Unmasked is an in your face indictment of the institutional left .David Horowitz and Greg Gutfeld called Occupy Unmasked "the most powerful film ever made about the American Left ." I saw this film at a theater in Orange County and I couldn't be more impressed . Having seen several films by the director Steve Bannon and Citizens United studio I think this is the best so far .

5.0 out of 5 stars Breitbart Nails Occupy--Well done, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Occupy Unmasked (DVD)
Don't miss this one folks. I wish we had Andrew Breitbart with us today, but he did leave this legacy of a film. It's a must see. You won't be disappointed. Whether you lean right or left, this is worth seeing. We all don't always know what we think we know. 10 Thumbs Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth seeing!, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Occupy Unmasked (DVD)
This documentary gets you into the belly of the movement without the dangers of violence & rape. An amazing story of how the radicals are so well funded and organized and how they manipulate the setting to create anarchy. A must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Occupy Unmasked (DVD)
Entertaining....Informative.....And frightening.Love how they tie in all of the connections. Breitbart jumps off the screen. Really compelling and even hilarious at times. Uniquely great film.

Occupy Unmasked
Occupy Unmasked by Stephen K. Bannon (DVD - 2012)
$14.98 $9.47