5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD footage for a pre HDTV documentary
Published on November 26, 2011 by Peter Sinclaire

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure who this set was made for, certainly not me
Published on April 22, 2012 by John Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD footage for a pre HDTV documentary, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was a bit skeptical about the image quality of these documentaries since many were shot before 2000, but to my surprise, the image quality is astonishing. You can see on the "the make of..." additional material that they used really huge and expensive cameras! This Bluray is a nice addition for my collection of documentaries about our oceans. It is composed of 3 or 4 different chapters per disk, and with 3 disks is about 10 separated chapters dedicated each one to a single subject, like sharks, whales, whale sharks, poisonous animals, octopuses, reef squid, manatees and dugons, etc. In all of them they go deep into the subject with a lot of information about the different scientific research programs devoted to the particular subject. Narration and music mix very well making a highly dynamic presentation, not boring at all. On the chapter about whales they prise highly the efforts of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to refrain the Japanese whalers from killing whales, showing how they fight them and the risks they take to protect the antarctic whale sanctuary which belongs to all of us. Kudos for that as I am a proud supporter of SSCS!

I definitively recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary full HD quality footage, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I will not go into a deep review of the contents itself. I bought this blu-ray for high quality full HD video.

And from the first scene to the last, all footage is 1080p full HD, amazing graphics. Wonderfully edited. It made me feel like I am with these sea creatures. So alive. No distortions, all subjects are well lit.

I am fully satisfied with the graphics quality. Hours of top quality picture. It will make your blu-ray player and full HD 1080p TV come alive. I can watch it again and again.

I can say the same for "OCEAN ODYSSEY" and "Journey to SHARK EDEN" blu rays from Amazon.

I am glad I bought them. I would certainly recommend these blu-rays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for the price!, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Blue Realm is a fantastic deal for the price! The blue-ray disc set contains several hours of beautiful HD material, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. The series focuses on the research that is done to learn more about the oceans and their inhabitants, which I found very interesting. Great "edu-tainment"!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure who this set was made for, certainly not me, April 22, 2012
John Chandler (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Technically this set is OK. Filming under water is not easy and clarity is pretty good considering. "Sound" alternates between rather indifferent music with and without mostly equally indifferent narration and comment. There are no subtitles but the narration is well spoken and very clear. Picture quality and sound are good. The larger part of this series is about the interaction of people, mostly eco-tourists or people working in that trade, with a range of sea residents. The Atlanta aquarium gets a very generous allocation. There is very little meaningful scientific information although the subject comes up frequently as the reason for all this contact. The scenes with sharks show a large number of adrenalin junkies engaging in what many will consider stupid and dangerous shark baiting. Harassing animals is frequent although the camera operators will not see it that way. The story lines are wandering and far too much screen time is allocated to participants shouting with glee or making not all that interesting observations. In no way does this series compare with the BBC wildlife programs. To be fair it will not have cost so much. The style is more akin to those NG or the Discovery Channel made for TV shorts with lengthy repetitive introductions and conclusions. These take up some 10% of the program time.
Those featured in the programs will want a copy for themselves but for the rest of us this is a rent-at-best set. Indifferent TV fare, technically well filmed but not at all well edited with I would guess at least 30% dross that it would have been better off without. If the eco-tourism industry is your scene this may be OK but for serious wildlife fans and scientists stick with the BBC. None do it better. Thank goodness the timing is not 11 hours as stated but 450 minutes which is at least twice as long as it needed to be. Sorry folks but this is mostly a bore. Yes there are some interesting bits, particularly the program on whales which is very good indeed, and some of the shark shots but there is just too much in between that drags to make this a good program overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like Imax, December 23, 2011
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It makes the big home tv screen look like you're at the aquarium. The resolution is outstanding, blu ray jumps out like an Imax film. This is the one to own if you want to learn and admire ocean life and how it adds to our wonderful planet's environment. Sit back and relax, and a bathing suit and scuba is not required for viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it I like it, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Cool movie. Yes. Yes. we can go. I need to go. I hate this need for words. this is to much.

4.0 out of 5 stars blu-ray, May 22, 2013
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
looks like you are under the water and makes me want to go to the beach so bad. sounds really neat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish they had stayed with underwater scenes mostly and not so much science...., November 28, 2012
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I felt like there was way too much science and scenes with people and there equipment...I guess I was expecting just beautiful underwater shots from around the world with simple explanations of what you were viewing....like place and fish names etc.... so I was disappointed with all the science and human intervention . don't get me wrong, that was interesting....just not what I had expected, or really wanted. However, the underwater scenes you do get, and there are plenty, are breathtaking, so well worth buying this beautiful set.

1.0 out of 5 stars OCEAN PEOPLE!!!, August 2, 2012
I was so very disappointed. There was so much film time showing the narrator talking about what they were trying to do with this film...the music to sell it etc. People on the boats, people snorkling with the sharks, there were too many PEOPLE instead of what was actually in the blue realm... I mean it was more skin than fin...showing some of the same scenes over...I will look for products from the BBC from now on. Even the kids lost interest with all the people instead of sea creatures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great educational film, July 20, 2012
This review is from: Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
What a beautiful and educational video. I bought it for my 10 year old grand daughter who loves earth science in any form! She loved the film and I did too!

Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray]
Ocean Odyssey: The Blue Realm [Blu-ray] by Danny Mauro (Blu-ray - 2011)
$17.97 $10.00