Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

96%

on November 25, 2011
My 3yr old daughter loves them. Most ebooks have a scanned in feel. These actually work with the touchscreen and sound to provide a different type of experience she quite enjoys. She seems at least as excited to read these with me as the print version, and these are cheaper and don't require bookshelf space. I have subsequently bought several books from this app publisher.
on March 5, 2013
I wish that I had never bought the paper copies of the Dr. Suess books. My girls love Gertrude, and the narrator is great.
Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories is a picture book collection of three stories by Dr. Seuss that was published by Random House Books in 1958. "Gertrude McFuzz" is the second story in the book. It's the story of the "girl-bird" Gertrude McFuzz, who has a single small, plain tail feather, and envies Lolla-Lee-Lou, who has two feathers. When she learned where there were berries that would grow more tail feathers, she overdid it and ended up with so many feathers that she weighed so much she couldn't fly. Only after the other birds pulled out the new feathers could Gertrude fly again. The experience taught her a valuable lesson about being happy with herself and not envying others.

I've reviewed several of the Dr. Seuss interactive children's books developed by Oceanhouse Media, and they've all been very enjoyable. Oceanhouse has done a fine job of creating interactive books that hold kids' attention with their sound effects, illustrations, and interactive features. The app actually enhances the original printed book, since even a child who hasn't learned to read yet can enjoy the story while learning simple vocabulary words.

The story can be read in any of three modes:
1. Read the book yourself, swiping pages when you're ready for the next page.
2. Let a narrator read the book aloud, with you swiping the pages when you're ready for the next page.
3. Auto-Play. Same as #2, but the pages turn automatically.

In any mode, touching an object causes the name of the object to appear with an audio pronunciation of the word.

Yertle the Turtle, which includes the Gertrude McFuzz story, is still in print in both paper and ebook versions, but in my opinion the app is equally effective as a learning experience, and it's even more fun with its sound effects and interactive features.

The app ran perfectly on my Kindle Fire HDX 7" tablet.
on March 15, 2012
An age old fan of Dr Seuss. I originally bought this because the title has the same name as my mother to poke fun at. My infant listens to the story constantly he loves to touch the screen n see the words fly all over. This is a fun story about a bird not happy until she has what another bird has until she gets the same and after would rather be herself free all.
on March 13, 2015
The grass is always greener - or the feathers are always prettier. Little ones can learn some good lessons with this book. One - we don't have to look like everyone else to be beautiful. Two - more isn't always better. Gertrude learns both lessons as she tries to compete with someone she perceives to be better looking just because that bird has more feathers than the 2 feathers Gertrude has. And, Gertrude finds out the hard way that just because she can get all the feathers she thinks she wants, it may not be the best thing for her. We are all perfect just the way we are. In fact, a 7 year old told me that . . .
on March 7, 2014
What can you say. It's Dr. Seuss. The king of quirky, fun, adorable and interesting storytelling. Loved by so many, this book is just another example of why he's such an icon in this society. The underlining messages within the stories are truly brilliant. Collect as many as you can and enjoy them with family for a lifetime.
on June 24, 2013
I was able to get this app with the 500 coin promo and I love it!! I did not grow up with Dr Seuss but a friend recommended this app. My daughter is just 3 and does not play with it as much as the Elmo app but she likes it. I hope she likes it more when she is older.
on July 7, 2013
Dr. Suess books are great, but if you have to read them over and over to little ones (as you always must) you find that you begin speaking in rhyme yourself. When you don't have to be the one actually reading it the rhyme is less contagious.
on May 4, 2012
6 year old has learned to read this past year and chooses the "read by myself) option. My 4 year old loves for it to read to him as he follows the highlighter words as it is read to him. VIVID PICS ! Dr. Seuss makes reading fun !
on September 3, 2013
A good lesson on envy and loving what you look like. The auto book works well and you can also read it to a child
For those learning to read each word spoken is highlighted, so the book van grow with the child.