on November 5, 2007
I am a bit compulsive about watches, video etc, and am writing this short summary review to indicate what marvelous features this watch has.
1 atomic time sync to keep the watch keeping perfect timne
2 solar powered, never needs a battery
3 quartz movement
4 has two small led lights that light up when the watch arm position
raises up to view the time. It also has a light sensor that keeps the
led's from turning on in daylight
5 has two time zones
6 has a stop watch
7 has analogue and separate digital readout with day of week, year visible

so why am I writing this, this titanium watch has a totally unique set of features not to be found on any watch that I have read about. This is an Oceanus (Casio parent Co) It synched with Fort Collins in Colorado the first night I tried syncing with atomic time. It is not a small watch but not very heavy because of the titanium. It is an upscale watch but I consider it to be a great value because of the features listed above.
on May 29, 2009
If you have the means to purchase this watch, I highly recommend it. I've had mine for about 8 months and it has performed perfectly.

It's classy and can be worn for business, but can also be worn with jeans in everyday situations.

This watch has everything that the discerning buyer looks for:
* it's waterproof,
* it's all titanium, very lightweight and attractive,
* solar powered (never needs a battery),
* automatically syncs time with the atomic clock (mine synced time in the midst of Chicago's tall buildings as well as out in the country in Ohio)
* has backlighting, easy to read
and the digital display has all the standard bells and whistles we've come to expect from watches these days.

In short, you're getting what you pay for - if you buy this watch, you'll feel like you've made a good, smart purchase.
on November 5, 2009
this watch has all the features I was looking for: titanium, atomic, solar powered, water-proof and had a sapphire crystal. It is several hundred dollars cheaper than other watches that have similar feature set, and I like the way it looks better than most. the face is a dark blue, which looks really sharp and makes the hands easy to read. Lastly, the watch also has a feature I haven't seen on any others that I really enjoy: an auto light turns on for several seconds when you raise your watch up to look at it in the dark. All-in-all a great watch at a great value.
on September 29, 2011
I have had this watch for 2 years now and I am still convinced that it is the best watch I ever owned. Here are the plusses:
* it is solar-powered. When I bought the watch, it was half charged. It charged itself fully within days and has stayed fully charged ever since -- in winter, in summer, in California and in Europe.
* it is digital, but it does not look cheap like many other digital watches do. The digital display is kind of small, but it still serves its purpose well.
* it is waterproof. I wear the watch 24h a day, I shower and swim with it and I never had any problems.
* it is very light. The watch is quite large and quite thick, but because it's titanium, the watch does not feel heavy at all.
* the glass is made of a special crystal, which has kept it completely scratch-free over the 2 years.
* it is radio-controlled. I received signals in Silicon Valley, but only when I wore the watch around the wrist at night (which I do anyway).

There are a number of small flaws though, which are the reason for the 4 stars:
* when you switch on the background light, it lights up the analog hands only, not the digital display. You can still read the digital display, but it would have been much smarter to light up the digital display instead of (or in addition to) the analog one, because the digital display can show more information than the analog one (time, date, seconds, and day of the week).
* the little analog displays on the watch are completely useless for me. Why sacrifice real estate on the face of the watch to show me an eternal "fully charged" sign? Or a 24h clock? I would have preferred a bigger digital display instead. The little analog displays are apparently used for other purposes such as stopping the time, but this is not something that the digital display could not do equally well.
* the titanium band did catch some minor scratches over time. It looks still good, but the scratches can be seen in sunlight.
* the main disadvantage is that the digital display is covered by the hour hand 24 times a day (see picture). In my eyes, this is a major design flaw. They could have put the
digital display at the bottom. Then the hand would only cover a very small portion of the digital display and it would still be readable. Now, you cannot read the date when it is quarter past. This is very annoying.

Then again, as previous users have pointed out, the set of features is pretty unique. I wanted a solar-powered waterproof watch with a digital+analog display, and there are very few such watches out there.

I also want to add that Amazon let me order another watch, try it out, and send it back without any problems, before I bought this one. Great job, Amazon!
review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is really a beautiful watch - aesthetically, technologically, and economically (the value for the money)! I bought this watch for all the following reasons, viz.
1. Solar powered - no need for replacing battery,
2. Radio controlled atomic time - the most accurate time piece,
3. Dual time,
4. Chronograph,
5. Illuminated dial when you need to see the time in dark areas, and
6. Its casing and band are made of titanium making it extremely light - you won't feel its weight!

I have owned several watches over the last 13 years, which have technologically progressed from solar powered, to solar powered with the analog hands controlled by the digital settings, to solar powered and radio controlled atomic time. This watch certainly triumphs over all the watches that I have owned. I like it more than my G-SHOCK watch from the same parent company, viz. CASIO, because this one is aesthetically more pleasing.

If there is anything I have to criticize about this watch is its LED illumination, which does not illuminate the LCD display very well, but it is really a very minor issue, since the illumination is adequate for reading the time.
review image review image
on June 26, 2009
Radio controlled watches like this one have the advantage of daily correction and automatic dayight/standard time changes. However I live in Colorado where the WWV transmitter is, may not work as well elsewhere. I like the solar power feature, no batteries to fuss with. Automatic illumination was annoying so I turned that feature off, the luminecent markers are adequate without the light. This appears to be a good quality heavy duty watch, hopefully lives up to it's high cost. Time will tell.
on December 29, 2010
I wanted this watch for a long time but couldn't bring myself to shell out $500-ish. Nowadays, considering you can find it for half off MSRP or less on popular internet auction sites, it is a steal. Very high quality, loaded with features. There is a bit of a learning curve, but the manual is available online through Casio, and given some time and tinkering you can learn how to operate it. For the two c-notes range that I paid, unbeatable. Feels like a much more expensive unit. Love the solar power and automatic atomic time sync.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...