Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on October 11, 2001
If you have watched the movie already, it's even better to read this novel by Mr.Hickam. The book is much better in explaining the situations and struggle in the life of Homer Hickam as a teenage boy. I can't tell you what this book is about because I'll spoil the whole story. Read it and you will be in awe. Let me tell you this though.....This book will inspire you just as I was inspired.
on October 31, 2001
As a science kid myself, coming from a lower middle class background, who built his own rockets, explosives and other incendiary devices, and discovered many of the same things that these boys discovered, I identified with the main character very strongly. The writing is superb. Instead of "rocket candy" I called the mixture "gunsugar"!
on November 18, 1999
It has been a long time since I have found a book that is as much a joy to read as this one. Once I started I could not put it down. It tugs at your heartstrings, bringing tears of joy and sadness at times. Everyone should read this book if not for its inspirational value and vision, then for the sheer entertainment of the story itself. WONDERFUL!
on November 23, 2012
Rocket Boys is an extraordinary true story set in the coal mining camp of Coalwood, W. Va. I lived near there during this time and was brought back to the days by the details including the songs sung on the buses and the nature of every day life. This is a wonderful story and was made into a fine film, October Glory. Recommend this book.
on March 19, 2013
A beautifully written "coming of age" story. The intense feelings of a teenage boy, living in a coal mining town in West Virginia, as he struggled with family and his future, took me back to my youth. Those thoughts and feelings and memories remain deeply within us forever.
I would recommend this book to my book club and husband.
on April 18, 2001
as a 14-year old, i found the book truly inspiring. although everyone may not be all about building rockets, i am sure that everyone is about acheiving in some type of activity. this book is one that shows the will and confidence of a young man. read this book, you will not forget it!
on October 24, 2001
This book is wonderful:humorous,sad, and educational all at the same time. It is very well written, and I would higly recommend it to other readers. It encorporates scientific facts into the book without being scinetific asa whole, or non-fiction. I very highly recommend this book!
on February 16, 2003
I started this book on a Monday and put my life on hold until the next day to finish it only taking a break to sleep. I couldn't put it down. I can not wait to get his other books and read them. I hope to take a trip to Coalwood in October and meet this man. Just an awesome story!
on November 15, 2013
This is an interesting memoir. Very real emotions and good characters. It's a book about growing up and I really connected to that aspect of it. The only reason I probably didn't love it is because I'm not much of a science person and that's basically what the book centers around.
The movie was superb, the book was even better. I remained captivated throughout the story, finishing the entire book while in the air from Los Angeles to Raleigh-Durham. My only complaint is that no pictures of the people involved from the time period described were included.