Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2008 10:56:00 PM PST
I can't believe I have to wait until OCTOBER!!!! WAHHH!

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 4:13:03 PM PDT
SLCS says:
You don't have to. It is available now from Amazon.co.uk. I order from them frequently, and receive the books quickly and with reasonable shipping fees.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2008 6:10:11 AM PDT
Lila B says:
That's all well and good if you want to translate from metric to English (how ironic that the English don't use "English" measurements!), and have to ferret out the different terms. Because if you're American, the terms used for some foodstuffs and prep methods ARE different... along with the measurements. Frankly if I'm paying full price for a new cookbook and shipping I want to be able to just use it when it gets here, not have to stop when reading a recipe and figure out what something means. (I did this with one of Nigella's cookbooks and it really made it obvious to me that it takes the spontaneity out of cooking).

I think Hyperion dropped the ball BIGTIME on dragging their feet so damn long to publish this cookbook in the US. And they're the ones who should be taking the heat (and realizing they're losing sales when people in the US who see his series on Food Network can't go out and just buy the cookbook).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 6:54:21 PM PDT
C. Dierks says:
Lila,

I personally loved SLS's suggestion and already have my copy of Jamie's book because of it. Instead of worrying about conversions, I went to a website called Google (they have everything!) and found thousands of converters within seconds. Personally, when I pay full price for a new cookbook and shipping, I like to get the recipe that the chef made, not the Americanized version. Nor do I understand how the spontaneity is taken out of the cooking since you are using a cookbook anyway... ??

Anyway, life is too short to hold grudges against Hyperion. All I know is that I'll be enjoying Jamie's recipes for the next four months and beyond. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2008 11:10:27 AM PDT
JMS66 says:
I also followed SLS's suggestion and got a UK version through Ebay.
Any true fan should try to get a UK copy. It's easy enough to make the conversions (my kitchen scale can weigh in kilos, so no hassle there).
I'm so glad I didn't wait for an Americanized version! This book is all the better for the British English terms and slang! It has all of the flavor and personality of the author and the television show.
Indeed, one of the reasons why I particularly enjoy "Jamie at Home" is its British-ness! It speaks to my long-standing fantasy of living in a dilapidated English manorhouse and keeping horses, cows, sheep and chickens :)
I'm curious to see how much of it will be adapted for the American market...There's a recipe for Strawberries with Pim's, and I'm wondering if it will make the cut for the US edition (Pim's not being nearly as well-known in this country).
I love seeing zucchini referred to as courgettes! I can sit with this book for hours--it's like taking a cook's tour of the English countryside!
Expand your horizons!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about