1,068 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the original
I took the opportunity to watch this movie when it was available on DirecTV.
Having seen a couple of movie adaptations of Koontz's novels, I was a bit leery. What if it was cheesy or changed almost beyond recognition?
Never fear.
Published 9 months ago by Artemis

2.0 out of 5 stars Hey Odd you're Odd!
****SPOILERS LURK AHEAD*****

Though I'm familiar with Dean Koontz' work I have never read the Odd Thomas series so when I saw this come up on Netflix I was entering it as a pure, Odd Thomas virgin.

Published 5 months ago by Corpsie

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the original, January 16, 2014
Artemis (Black Diamond, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odd Thomas (DVD)
I took the opportunity to watch this movie when it was available on DirecTV.
Never fear.
In short, Odd Thomas, a small-town fry cook whose mother claimed that his name was supposed to be Todd but that his birth certificate got screwed up, sees the lingering dead, and when he perceives that they are not moving on because of injustices, he does something about it.
Anton Yelchin as Odd is true to Koontz's character, and girlfriend Stormy Llewellyn as played by Addison Timlin is faultless.
As indicated by my heading, the movie sticks as close to the original plot line as an Odd Thomas fan could hope for, with changes that do not detract from the story.
I think the supernatural and evil bodachs are portrayed slightly differently than in the book - no problem. Still very creepy.
Elvis does not haunt Odd, which was probably a good decision because he'd probably have been a distraction.
Because of the subject matter - very creepy evil characters and violence, this is not a movie for children. I'd expect a PG-13 rating if it were ever released in the theaters.
Bottom line- If you're an Odd Thomas fan, buy with confidence. If you have not read any of this series, the movie will very likely inspire you to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie for a Great book, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Odd Thomas (DVD)
This movie was the closest product to the book that I could have imagined. The trend in movies is to change very important aspects of the movie to fit time frames, but this movie sticks to the plot line, and the casting couldn't have been any better. Anton Yelchin is a perfect Odd Thomas, and the attitude that Addison Timlin brings to Stormy Llewellyn's character is spot-on! Buy with confidence. You'll love Odd Thomas!

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the book, February 10, 2014
cff1031 (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odd Thomas [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
We rented it on Time Warner and I had huge expectations. It remained true to the book except for Elvis, but I can see that would be an additional expense to a low budget film. Yelchin is a wonderful Odd Thomas and Timlin is amazing as Stormy. They really seemed to fit naturally to each other and Dafoe was excellent as the Police Chief. I'm not sure how it plays to someone who has not read the book, but I liked the flashbacks to show how actions played out after Odd figures out what's going on. The bad guys come off well so you don't quite see them as bad guys until the end but it's not a big leap when you see them as bad guys in the end.

The end was very emotional and it shows the high quality of actors and excellent direction by Sommers. I thought it was funny to see Arnold Vosloo playing a bit role of Tom but I think that's the relationship between Vosloo and Sommers from the Mummy movies that made that happen. I liked it the first time I saw it but have watched it three times now and love it. It's definitely a must buy for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, February 8, 2014
Rob M. (BEAVERTON, OR, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odd Thomas [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you're an Odd Thomas fan, you are going to like this movie. Of course it's not exactly like the book, but that's to be expected. They got the gist of Odd and that's what counts. It's got the quirkiness I've grown to associate with the book series and Odd is just as endearing. My rule for watching book adaptations is "watch it twice". The first time is to see how it compares to the book and the second time is to enjoy it as it's own separate entity. I've been waiting for this movie to happen for a long time and I was not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an odd life..., February 13, 2014
KayDee (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I have read the whole series so it's been awhile since the 1st book & from memory, this film hits all the main points in the time given. Hmmm. No pun intentionally intended... :-) Yes, there were parts left out, (shucks, another unintentional pun) but it would take a mini-series to effectively cover the entire 1st book & a TV series to cover the rest of the Odd books. Absolutely delighted w/Anton Yelchin's portrayal of Odd Thomas. In my mind, he fits my mental picture of Odd perfectly. As does Addison Timlin's Stormy. Both just lovely. The creepy bodachs were well, even creepier than I imagined; the special effects of the house from hell, definitely worked for me. I for one, hope to see more of Koontz's 2nd most lovable character, Odd Thomas, brought to screen again. I say 2nd most lovable because my 1st favorite & most lovable is Einstein, the golden retriever from "Watchers". (They should remake that movie adaptation to match the endearing success of this one.) On a side note, just finished reading the latest Odd Thomas book ("Deeply Odd") not too long ago & got such a kick out of the new character ("Edie") that Odd teams up with.
So, I don't typically spend more than $3.99 to watch a movie online, but had been eagerly waiting for Odd Thomas for what, a couple of years now? Found it today at Amazon & immediately forked out the $10 to watch it. IMFHO (in my frugal humble opinion) absolutely well worth it for the entertainment & plan to watch it again before my rental is up. And yep, here I knew the whole durn story & still had to have a hanky in hand at the end of the movie just as I did when I finished reading the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captured the book!, February 11, 2014
Loved the Odd Thomas series. Read it the first one several times. I wondered how it would look as a movie. They did a great job. I only had one complaint (not a big one) ...Why change Odd's mother?

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd Thomas! My hero!!!, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Odd Thomas (Amazon Instant Video)
Stephen Somer did an amazing job bringing the beloved character Odd Thomas to life. I hope he does the rest of the Odd Thomas books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think it could be done....., February 14, 2014
This review is from: Odd Thomas (DVD)
I've read a lot of Koontz, and most but not all of the Odd Thomas books. I have always thought Koontz would be impossible to do as a movie. His books can be so intricate, reality within reality, play of time, play of space especially. I was reluctant to read the first Odd Thomas book, cause it sounded too out there for me, but so many friends and co-readers loved it, I did. Definitely a different character, but despite occasionally getting irritated by his simplistic goodness, he grows on you, and I continue to read his books. That they found an actor to portray him so close to the character in my head, I'm amazed. Anton Yelchin really delivers the character and deserves a lot of praise. And Addison Timlin actually works with Anton so well with her delivery of Stormy. They portray difficult characters to portray- just really simple, good people with exceptional experiences. In today's society they would be perceived as down right dorky, yet......It's a thin line Koontz treads when he writes of Odd, but it shows his talent as a writer that one keeps on reading. And I agree with them leaving out Elvis-I think more mainstream movie goers would have found that too much. A really well done adaptation of the book! I'm now trying to think if the other Odd books could be done-the first one was one of Koontz' simpler works, and that undoubtedly helped with the translation to screen. I would definitely watch Anton Yelchin continue with Odd's journeys!! He was great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Hey Odd you're Odd!, May 13, 2014
Corpsie (Redlands, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odd Thomas (Amazon Instant Video)
****SPOILERS LURK AHEAD*****

What I saw was a mixed bag. I felt there was a great premise here and who doesn't like a nice, predictable story about seeing ghosts and trying to help those ghosts solve problems? Quite original in that aspect. Don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it barring The Sixth Sense, The Ghost Whisperer, Hulu's new series Deadbeat, Dead Like Me... er... yeah.

Here are the things that stuck in my craw (I'm very hip with the new lingo kids use these days).

There's only so many times I can hear character say, "Nothing about you is normal, Odd!" I'm paraphrasing of course but these responses to various situations throughout the movie were peppered throughout and I wanted to drill a hole in the back of my head and pull my eyeballs out. I'm being melodramatic of course. And figurative just in case anyone's confused.

The "I love yous" between Stormy and Odd plus their "witty" banter (barf) was enough to make a full prediction that she would bite it at the end. The interaction between these two were so sickeningly sweet that I got the diabetus. I recovered soon after but it was a heck of a ride.

It was never clear (to me at least) what the relationship between Willem Dafoe's character and Odd. Was it just a professional relationship or was he Odd's father?

All throughout the movie (and yes I know they tried to backtrack and do a Sixth Sense review) it was never alluded to that there were 4 conspirators. It seemed like they popped up for convenience and to "shock" the viewer when all it really did was annoy. I face palmed about that for a long time.

And I guess finally is the overabundance of exposition. It seems like they really crammed a lot into the movie and to save on time we get lengthy voice overs trying to explain the rules of the universe Odd lives in.

In conclusion this is a pretty film with some nice visuals even though it wasn't exactly an adventurous style. The story was lacking, the acting subpar, but I will say the final ending of the movie was nicely done and emotional to boot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the book, February 21, 2014
One of my favorite books from my favorite author, I was beyond the moon when I saw this was made into a movie. Maybe that's why I was a little disappointed. Odd Thomas is such an amazing character, I truly don't know who could have done him justice. Also, the relationship between between Odd and Stormy in the books is just so effortless and charming. The movie came across as a bit forced. All in all, it was worth watching.

Odd Thomas [Blu-ray]
Odd Thomas [Blu-ray] by Stephen Sommers (Blu-ray - 2014)
$34.97 $16.14