1,377 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Koontz is Back
I have been a long time Dean Koontz fan. I've read just about every book, including some by his pseudonyms. Almost every book was a great read. I would close the book after the last page feeling both fulfilled and sad. Fulfilled because of a great story, sad because it was over. Lately, however, Koontz's books have been slipping.
I think it began after Seize the...
Published on February 11, 2004 by Michael Hogan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great.
I'm back-and-forth on Koontz most of the time. When he's on, he can craft a great novel, but when he's not he sticks to the same formulas time and again. This book, to his credit, avoids those formulas and gives us a story which, while not blisteringly original, is at least off the path he usually treads.

Odd Thomas is a young man with a strange gift -- the...
Published on May 3, 2006 by Blake Petit

5.0 out of 5 stars Koontz is Back, February 11, 2004
This review is from: Odd Thomas: A Novel (Hardcover)
I think it began after Seize the Night. His books became harder to read and filled (and I mean filled) with metaphors and similes. And the ultra-sappy happy endings were very unlike the author.
I didn't read The Face because of the bad reviews I heard. So, when Odd Thomas came out, I was reluctant but curious. Am I glad I picked this book up!
The story was fast-paced and exciting. The subject (Odd sees dead people) may have been used before, but Koontz put his own special touch in there. The characters were vivid, especially Odd and Stormy. And the humor...Koontz has a gift when it comes to humor in his books. I literally laughed out loud more than once.
Odd Thomas is classic Koontz. A great story, a quick read, funny, sad, scary, and moving.

4.0 out of 5 stars A most odd yet interesting protagonist, December 24, 2003
Eileen Rieback (Coral Springs, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odd Thomas: A Novel (Hardcover)
Odd Thomas lives up to his first name; he is a 20 year old short-order cook with the ability to see the ghosts of the dead and the shadowy faceless spirits he calls "bodachs," who gravitate toward scenes of horrific violence and evil. Odd is a very likable guy whose ideal future rests with his girlfriend and soul mate Stormy Llewellyn and with a career in tires or footwear. Aware that his sixth sense is a burden that sets him apart and makes him appear otherworldly to others, he knows that he has received this gift for a reason. He feels a responsibility to make sense of the ghosts he encounters and to thwart the violence that the bodachs portend. When he spots a large congregation of bodachs converging on his hometown of Pico Mundo, he has a premonition of great disaster. He hones in on a villainous and twisted "Fungus Man" who he senses will most likely cause the violence. He must now discover the time and place where the bloodshed will occur. He races against the clock to prevent a tragic outcome. Narrated by Odd, this story is at times gory, at times inspirational, at times funny, and at times bittersweet.

Koontz is still a master at interweaving scenes of horror with humorous dialog and action. The ghost of Elvis materializes at incongruous moments. There is an exploding cow to add comic relief. The author portrays many humorous and colorful characters including Odd's oversized six-fingered mentor Little Ozzie and his landlady Rosalia who fears she will become invisible. As the author's writing career has progressed, his books have adopted more and more of an undertone of spirituality and religious optimism. His latest effort expands on this trend as he juxtaposes Satanism and the paranormal with an uplifting message. Stormy talks about the lives that exist beyond this one, and she refers to this life as a mere "boot camp" for the tests and rewards of the life to come. Odd's ghosts are waiting in limbo, held back by unresolved issues before moving on to the next plane of existence. Odd acknowledges that there are universal truths more complex and meaningful than those of the material world.

This is not one of Koontz's best books, but it is still a good one. The ending of the story has a slightly different tone than in his other books. His fans might feel a bit put off by it or perhaps more uplifted by it. Although I was in the former category, I still give the book four stars and recommend it for its eerie scenes and for its protagonist, who is so human and yet so unique.

Eileen Rieback

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't like Dean Koontz, December 17, 2007
Cory Nagel (Wollongong, Australia) - See all my reviews
I am not a Dean Koontz fan at all, but because of the large number of people who are, I occasionally give one of his books a shot. Most of the time I am simply reminded as to why I am not a Dean Koontz fan. Odd Thomas, however, was a massive exception to this rule. It just seemed to have all the ingredients and to fit them together so well: an interesting premise, an endearing main character, and witty story-telling. Even if you're not a fan of the author, or even the genre, this book is well worth taking a chance on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing "Odd" about this read, December 10, 2003
This review is from: Odd Thomas: A Novel (Hardcover)
For the first time in a long time Dean Koontz has written a book that delivers on any level you can name. Odd Thomas is a suspenseful, powerful, imaginative, and entertaining story. The characters are believable and seem to leap off the page at the reader. Of course, I like all of Koontz's works, the early stuff and his later, more spiritual works.
Odd Thomas is a short order hash slinger in a small out of the way town of Pico Mundo. Besides being a talented writer, Odd sees and communicates with ghosts. Not just any ghosts mind you, but all types of ghosts. One type that is especially bad are the "bodachs" a particularly malevolent spirit that is attracted to and seem to feed off of violence. These spirits are in town and associated with a character Odd names "Fungus Man." As you read you realize that Fungus Man is much, much more than he appears on the surface to be.
This is an unsettling read. Koontz manages to keep the reader slightly off balance. This causes a little disorientation and some readers may be critical on this aspect of the novel. However, when you reach the end of the book you'll be glad that you hung around to the end.
Koontz is a talented writer. His books are meant for intelligent readers. Odd Thomas will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in years, January 9, 2007
How do I begin?

I was recommended this book by a friend, and she was right on. Odd Thomas was the first book that I've read that I could not put down in years!! I read it in one night.

Gripping from the start, to introduce the hero of the story trying to solve the mystery of the murdered little girl brings a reader in full swing to Odd's world.

Odd's fully developed character flows as strong and steady and it stays with you from the first page. His sad, modest tone somehow jerks you in the right direction.

The way Koontz portrays Odd you fully believe Odd's actions, thoughts, and walk besides him on his daily ghost-freeing hunt. Koontz' bodachs, reminds me of the 'devil ghosts' in the movie Ghost, how they surround bad people, or people with bad intentions. But, unlike the movie, Koontz does a fantastic job at not leading the reader by the hand with what may or may not happen next when these creepy bodachs show up. His theories on what ghostsfascinated me as well.

I was just as sad for the innocent ghost vicitms as Odd was when they happened upon the Hero. I was just as sad for Odd for the events around him. This is the pinnacle of example of reluctant heroes.

I could ramble on about how good this book was, but you'll have to read it yourself. (I went out and bought the sequels right after this, something I rarely do these days)

Well done, Mr. Koontz!

it's a "ten" on my scale of 1 to 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Koontz, July 6, 2007
DJF (Long Island, New York) - See all my reviews
Once again, Dean Koontz has taken us on a riveting journey. Through scary moments, humor, romance, and violence, he has captivated the reader and keeps the pages turning; a true testament to his easy flowing and enjoyable writing.

Odd Thomas is one of those characters the "everyman" can identify with, although we can not share his special/supernatural abilities. Not unlike the character Forrest Gump, Odd Thomas is humble, vulnerable, comes from a troubled past, and has unwillingly risen to greatness when necessary; all of this despite his reluctance to be the center of attention and fawned upon. Like Jimmy Tock of Life Expectancy, one can't help but root for,and perhaps most importantly, relate to and empathize with Odd Thomas as he describes Stormy, converses with his troubled parents, discusses his "gift" (or perhaps more appropriately, his burden), and ponders the questions that many of us faced when we were twenty and had a dead end job, small apartment, and no car. Through him, we see the optimistic side of life despite being afflicted with what many of us in the real world would consider a curse. Although a flawed and fallible hero, Odd Thomas may well represent the compassion and persevering spirit lacking in many of us.

To date, I have yet to be disappointed with a Koontz book and Odd Thomas is no exception. I hope it is enjoyed by others as much as I have enjoyed it. And to Mr. Koontz: Thank you and please keep up the good work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands Down - The Best Book I Read In 2004!!!, January 21, 2005
This review is from: Odd Thomas: A Novel (Hardcover)
Wow! What a way to start a new year. This is the first book I've read by Dean Koontz and I'm kicking myself in the behind for overlooking the man for some many years! After this review, I will make it a point to get my hands on a copy of everything the man has ever written.

I first mentioned this book to my husband after coming across it in the bookstore early December. Back cover seemed interesting enough but, not being a fan of Koontz, I decided to put it on my "wish list". A few days later, my husband handed me the book (God Bless The Man! *grin)and with the first words ("My name is Odd Thomas...") - I was hooked!

There are no simple words to describe this book - it is a literary masterpiece. There were times when I forgot that I was reading a book and felt as if I were reading a memoir of sorts (in fact, it is from this view that Odd presents his story to the reader). You not only get to know each of the different characters Odd encounters in his life (each unique in their own ways) but you begin to care about what happens to these people. Many times I held my breath, struggling to keep my eyes from leaping to the paragraph below to see what fate awaited a member of Odd's "family".

I've read some pretty good books in '04 but one of my biggest complaints have been that the books start off very well but I find myself rushing through the ending. I clung to every word in this book, sometimes stopping to savor a particular phrase delivered by the narrator. And the ending delivered! Man, the writing is nothing less than awesome! So simplistic and yet so genius!

Hats off to Mr. Dean Koontz for a magnificent job!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, February 18, 2005
Amazon Customer (College Station, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Odd Thomas (Mass Market Paperback)
I haven't read anything from Mr. Koontz in a while, and the wait was worth it. I couldn't put it down after the first chapter, and the ending took a crazy twist. Granted the "I talk to to dead people" has been done, but this was still a great book. This is great, classic Koontz material, and I would recommend it to any of his fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MASTER RETURNS, April 27, 2004
This review is from: Odd Thomas: A Novel (Hardcover)
Dean Koontz has certainly been one of our most prolific "horror" writers. When he's at his best, he's awesome; when he's not, he's sadly mundane. ODD THOMAS is perhaps the best book Koontz has written since "Dragon Tears" and "Hideaway." In fact, it may be his best yet.
In his past half dozen books or so, Koontz has tended to become metaphorical, bombastic, preachy and mundane. However, in ODD THOMAS, the narrative voice that has chilled his fans for years (and I'm one of them) returns with superior focus. Dean has learned how to add humor to his works, and the humor in this one is right on target. The relationship between Odd and Stormy is so richly realized, so simple in its true evocation of love, that you want the best for them no matter what. The inclusion of Elvis' presence could have been a cheap ploy in some author's hands, but the way Koontz integrates the king of rock and roll into the story is sublimely touching. There is so much "heart" in this book, it's hard to remember you're reading a novel about a demonic serial killer, and Odd works hard to save those souls he can.
This book has moments of chilling suspense; touching humanity; crisp and believable dialogue; and an ending that will surprise many. Koontz is in his finest form in this novel; I highly recommend it to those who have felt cheated by Koontz's latest novels, and to those who have yet to discover the voice of a man who is an artist, and who has regained his pictorial genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, Amazing, BEYOND The previous words., January 25, 2005
This review is from: Odd Thomas: A Novel (Hardcover)
I will not type a huge synopsis to the story, as amazon provides the PERFECT information on it, so check that out. I'm just going to say that I am in love with this book. I finished it a few days ago, and it's impact still makes me think about it. While reading, I couldn NOT put the book down. It's rare for me to be so intrigued by a book, but this one does it. Combining the finest points of all genres of books, Odd Thomas will give you chills, huge suspense, make you fall in love with so many charcaters, and for me, look at life a little differetnly when you are done... This would make one killer movie. But, of course, the way Koontz applies to your imagination is beyond incredible. You can trust me on this one. Check out Odd Thomas, and you will certainly not be dissapointed!

Odd Thomas: A Novel
Odd Thomas: A Novel by Dean Koontz (Hardcover - December 9, 2003)
Used & New from: $0.01