5.0 out of 5 stars One Of Best Books I Ever Read
My teacher Mrs.Peet read this to my class when I was in 3rd grade. I'm now in 5th. Since then I been trying to find a copy,but it's always been out. Thanks Mrs.Peet. Hannah S.
Published on April 10, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars should be PG
While parts of this are charming, the evil toys could be a bit much for small children. While it has fable-esque morals, they are a little heavy handed. Older children are reading Harry Potter, and this story would probably be too childish for them

Published 17 months ago by K.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of Best Books I Ever Read, April 10, 2001
A Kid's Review

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, great illustrations, June 29, 2009
Anytime Koontz and Parks collaborate the result is beautiful. Koontz brings the Oddkins to life each with their own personalities and quirks. Parks' illustrations are gorgeous. When the story begins the old toymaker has just passed away. His magical toy creations, the Oddkins, must now recruit their creator's selection of the new toymaker before the Dark One can dispatch his minions to take over the toyshop and create evil toys. The Oddkins set out on a quest across town to the new toymaker's shop pursued by evil toys from an earlier maker. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and story while the many illustrations give the book a great look and atmosphere. The Oddkins are interesting and loveable characters while the evil toys are quite menacing. The story includes many smaller lessons, including courage, loyalty, and faith, that are appropriate for any age to learn. I would not, however, recommend this book for very young children. There are some scenes and pictures which would no doubt be scary for a small child. I was impressed with the depth of the tale and would absolutely recommend this book to anyone seeking a fun, and heartfelt story.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all-time favorite book, December 5, 1999
I have read this book to my 4th. grade class for the last 11 years...... I have tryed to make up a different voice for each the main characters.... We have even put on a school-play based on the part of the book that takes place in the department store....the kids love getting dressed up in the costumes that I had made up ..... I love when kids come back( who are now in college /high school) and ask if I still read the story of the Oddkins....

4.0 out of 5 stars Dean Koontz for Kids? Why Not?, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages (Kindle Edition)
When you think of children's authors, you might think Rowling, Lewis, Seuss. But Dean Koontz? Definitely does not spring to mind. Yet, he did write a children's book and, you know what, it's pretty darn good. The Oddkins would best be described as a classic battle between good and evil. A good toy maker has been making toys, the oddkins, magical toys which come alive for children just when they need them. However, the toy maker is dying without having contacted his successor. If she is not contacted quickly the toy shop will be taken over by an evil toy maker who will only make toys to hurt children. So begins an epic journey by a small but stalwart band of intrepid oddkins to go to the city and find the woman meant to take over the shop. Pursuing them is a group of evil toys who will do anything to stop this from happening.

Oddkins is a fun read with all the components of a Dean Koontz novel except, thank goodness, the schmaltzy romance. The Manichean battle between good and evil, the dangerous journey through that dark and stormy night and, of course, the happy ending. Along the way, there are lots of adventures, close calls, and, in the case of one oddkin, some really bad but somehow endearing poetry. The good characters are very, very good and the bad ones, well, they're pure evil.

However, what makes this book a real standout are the marvelous multi-coloured and vibrant illustrations by Phil Parks. Not only are they very easy on the eyes, they really complement the story, adding a dimension which would be lacking without them.

The Oddkins will likely appeal to children more than to adults. Although a good moral is the whole point of a fable, at times, all the platitudes and moral preaching get in the way of the story. Still, put that aside and concentrate on the adventure (and especially the illustrations), and you've got a terrific story to read to your children when the monster under the bed comes a-calling and they need to believe that good always trumps evil.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but missing something, September 27, 2012
T. Gleichner (Fox Cities, WI) - See all my reviews
Let me start out by saying how excited I was to be able to read this on my new Kindle Fire HD because the illustrations really add a lot to the story. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this story, and to be honest, I am still not. I have been a fan of Dean Koontz's for many years - to be honest he is one of my favorite authors. But, I have to say that I don't really think the writing was up to par for me. I know that the story is geared more toward kids - at least I would think so - but I still think the writing lacked a little.

The premise of the story is something that I did love. To think of these "Oddkins" being created to help children through rough times in their life - I loved that! I have a favorite stuffed animal from my childhood that I took everywhere with me, and each of my girls have one...to think that these could have `magic' to help see us through was a great idea. And, add in the Charon toys and you have a true good versus evil story. After the Oddkins maker, Uncle Isaac, dies in the beginning, the toys set out on a journey to bring in the next toymaker, a journey this is extremely important because the longer it takes, the better chance that something bad can happen in the toy factory, and evil forces are certainly at play. I loved the fact that two of the evil toys were marionettes...come on, who doesn't think these are creepy?

Overall a good story and one I think I would have thought was better if I wasn't such a diehard fan of his other work. Give it a shot though as I don't think you will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages (Kindle Edition)
Oddkins is a bit different from most of the books I've read by Dean Koontz - it is indeed a modern fable with, what I feel, are delightful Koontz twists. A nice story. Will be curious to see if there will be other Oddkins books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange tale, September 21, 2012
Martin Loehr (Oconomowoc, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages (Kindle Edition)
It's Dean Koontz - I expected the story to be good and it was. I had a stuffed elephant when I was a kid. His name was Elephant. I can still believe in the magic of toy animals and Koontz does well in supporting this belief.

3.0 out of 5 stars should be PG, April 24, 2013
K. "tallykat" (TALLAHASSEE, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages (Kindle Edition)

I also purchased the narration that went with this book. While it might not be an issue for Amazon directly, perhaps you should know that this was without a doubt the WORST narration I have ever heard. The reader mispronounced many words (such as Amos, for Pete's sake), and read with ridiculously inept inflection or none at all. I intend to contact Audible about this. I don't usually purchase books for my Kindle unless it has narration, so I can listen in the car. I hope I can listen to the narration while sampling a book, and if it is this person (or machine, perhaps!) I will not purchase the book. This same narrator was on "Deceitful Moon" and the "Ann Stories". They are all terrible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Dean Koontz, April 29, 2014
lin "lin" (Roscoe, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages (Kindle Edition)
My husband and I enjoyed this book and it is classic Dean Koontz. However, I would not recommend it for children under the age of 10 or 12 and only if they are not sensitive and easily frightened. The thought of toys that are meant to do harm might be an unsettling concept for some. It is an easy read for an adult but it was fun to read Dean's twist on a toy story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story, vivid imagery and lush illustrations. Great for kids and grownup kids alike!, February 21, 2013
Amazon Customer "TamsHerOwnBoss" (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages (Kindle Edition)
I love this book. A friend was looking for it (it is out of print) so I got a used copy for her, but while waiting to give it to her I flipped through it. I first noticed the illustrations, which are (though few) amazing. I bought a copy for myself just to have those luscious illustrations to look at. Then (in typical "me" fashion) I noticed it was available on Kindle and bought it to read the story. The writing is as vivid as those illustrations. As an adult I loved it, but I know my younger kids would have really loved to have this story read to them, spent time poring over the artwork, even drawn Oddkins of their own. I gave it 5 stars because 6 weren't available.

Oddkins: A Fable for All Ages