Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WakaWaka Solar Lamp
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on January 14, 2013
First, I must say I had great doubt about this product since most of the reviews here are from people who received it for product review vs those who actually purchase it to use on a daily basis. Also, if you purchase it directly from the [...] wakawaka 4light. com, it is only $60 for 2 grey ones with free shipping within the US.

I have quite a few solar gadgets all around my house. This is the best solar light currently in the market mainly due to its brightness and duration. I used to like the d.light S10 and S1 until the WakaWaka came out last year. The WakaWaka has 2 LED's instead of one like the S1 and S10. I have 4 WakaWaka lights on every night in those 3 rooms that I spend mostly in at night and I hardly even have to turn on any light. If you shine it on a white wall, the whole room just lights up. It is great bright ambient light.

According to their website, the internal battery should last about 3 years for daily use. Hope this helps.

Update: 11/7/13. I've been using all my 3 lights every single night since last December and they are still going strong w/ no issues whatsoever. I took them to camping, hiking, etc over the summer. I usually set them at the 3rd or 4th setting and they last well over 12 hours and they are still on. Just order a few more to give out as gifts.

Update: 5/24/14. All my WakaWaka lights are still going strong every single night after almost 1.5 years. The few that I gave away as gifts to my family members are all working great. However, I'm no longer recommending this solar light as someone else came out with a much better product. The Sun King Pro simply blows the Wakawaka light away in every aspect. It is available here on Amazon.
1414 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2012
I received one of the first units off the production line and I love this light. Out of the box the light was ready to go to work after having been in the box for who knows how long. I have had many camping lamps, kerosene, battery and other solar lamps but this one is really compact and powerful. The design makes it easy to bring these lamps on camping trips because they are so compact and lightweight. The kids love it because they can use it as a powerful flashlight when they are out walking in the dark or hang it in their tent or on the table to read or do their chores. The first week we did a test of the claim that the light will last 8 hours on a single days charge. We placed the lamp in the window at 6:00am and began use at 8:00pm. We left the light on the reading lamp level. At 6:00am I awoke to find the lamp still shining bright. I have had lamps with batteries die after a couple of hours and other solar lamps last maybe four hours. This light has successfully survived two canoe trips and a backpack hike into Yosemite and lit the way every night, without fail, delivering great light!

The most attractive feature of the WakaWaka light is the fact that for everyone that makes a purchase, the WakaWaka foundation subsidizes a light for one of the 1.5 BILLION people around the world that live in the dark! While my family and I are enjoying a camping vacation, I know we played a significant role in improving the lives of a family somewhere around the world. I am told they are going to start publishing the effect the American and Canadian consumer has on lighting the world as a result of purchasing these WakaWaka's. I hope they sell a million this year.

Great light and a greater cause.
review image review image
33 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2012
This is really a good product and I truly appreciate the goals of the company. I think everyone should own one for those emergencies that come up every now and again... plus obviously camping etc. I was really impressed with the light pattern and it was obviously designed to illuminate a small room with a flood pattern, rather than a spotlight effect.

However, I decided to knock a point off because I think it could be further improved:

* The case is a little plasticky and cheap feeling with the top seam in particular quite toy-like. The instructions state that it shouldn't be dropped and I would think a drop on concrete may damage the case? I would like to see a rubberized case like some tough external hard-drives have for durability, so there is no chance of damage from a drop. I think the solar panel would also be better protected if it was sunk into the case a little, rather than being flush mounted. I really think a universal product like this should be pretty much bullet proof, especially for the intended common use in the third world countries.

* I think the instructions are poor. I understand they are designed for Global use without language, but I found them non-intuitive. There are no directions on the units state of charge... there is a little flashing LED on the top that the instructions do not mention. It appears to change its pattern or frequency while charging... it would be nice to know exactly what this means?

* I think the unit needs to be much cheaper for Global distribution. In the US, the fact that its made abroad and is subject to exchange rates etc, probably raises its price? However, I'm hoping that folks buying in the US are simply subsidizing its price so it can be offered in poorer countries for substantially less. I'm insinuating its quite pricey for what it is, because we are so used to dirt-cheap products like this from China... however, I'm certainly not equating this product with one of those, its superior and works well. Global distribution at a lower price should be the goal I feel, and then many households would own several of these.

So, a nice product from an admirable company, but there's still room for improvement methinks.
on June 30, 2012
I consider myself a creative person with an eye for fashion and design. When I first saw the WakaWaka light I was very excited by the design and hoped that the light would be powerful enough to light a tent, dinner table and use for ambient lighting. I recently received one of the lights and they have exceeded my expectations. The unit is lightweight but solid in construction. The first thing I did was take the light out of the box, go into the darkened garage and see how bright this light really was. WOW, was my first reaction. When you click the button once, it gives you the 200% level lighting which is a very bright white light. It lit up the entire garage.

On the second click we had the reading light setting. I set the Waka up on a wine bottle (works great) and it produces great reading light perfect for preparing meals when camping or as an enhanced light on my husband's workbench where there are dark area. Everyone I have shared this light with loves the light and the compact design. I will be taking on a camping trip next week and will be using constantly. I will let you know how it performs in the wild.

Lastly, I love that one light purchase helps a family around the world get a reduced cost WakaWaka light. I know Americans will step up, as we always have, and become the world leader in helping families with children get out of the darkness around the world. On their site ([...]) they mention the world bank information related to the effect of solar lamps on education...In Abu Hasheem in South Sudan the World Bank researched the impact of solar LED lighting on the pass rate for students. With kerosene lamps this was a mere 57%. Two years after introduction of the solar lamps the pass rate reached 100%. The average school grade rose from `unsatisfactory' with 35% to `above average'.

I am so glad to get a product that has over delivered on the promise.
on June 30, 2012
My brother gave me this for Father's Day. I totally forgot to charge it and on the fifth night as we were leaving it still worked great. Packed up everything and took off. 3 hour drive home and my Waka was still illuminating the trunk. Hahahaha Ooops =) Quite a light. Highly recommend. 5 stars +

James Henderson
on July 5, 2012
I have the wakawaka for a month now, and its a great product! I use it a lot for camping, canoeing and trekking here in Florida. I use to have to buy batteries for my
flashlights, now I don't need to waist my money and create harmful trash by buying batteries. To charge I just leave it on the sun for a couple hours and I have
enough power for my outdoor activities.Very Rugged, the wakawaka has withstand being dropped a couple times, and being water resistant, as I charged during heavy rains.
I recommend to any outdoor enthusiast. Have the power of the sun in your hands. Also a great benefit is that the company believes in helping out people in developing countries that are using
harmful kerosene by giving them a fair price.
review image review image
on October 23, 2012
I only used it once so don't know if it will last. Looks like the solar panel is in good quality. Only have 2 small light (1/8'' by 1/8''). However, I'm super impressed in how bright it is. It's brighter than some flashlights. I can read with no touble when i set it on low setting. Planning to buy more. Highly recommend it. Agree with other buyers said that if it comes with a rubber protector for it to protect it from falling. It will be perfect.
on April 26, 2013
I'm a big fan of this. It's very small (think 1985 Sony Walkman size) but doesn't feel fragile. The stand is sturdy and it's designed to easily hang off of various hooks, ropes, etc. There is only 1 button. Press it once and its on the brightest setting. Each additional press lowers the brightness one level, with 5 clicks to turn it off.

The brightest setting is extremely bright, it easily lights up a 20 x 20 room if you point it at the ceiling. I think this is something that everyone should own in case of a power outage or more serious emergency.
on September 8, 2012
UPDATE - I used my WakaWaka lamp during the 11 days we were without power in NW New Jersey due to Hurricane Sandy -- our WakaWaka provides as-promised light for 8-16 hours during the dark nights following the storm and charged even indoors. Love that the LED flashes when charging letting you know when the lamp is getting best sunlight to recharge. Many, many thanks for such a wonderful product...

Initial Review:

I received one of the initial WakaWaka Solar Lamps - superb quality and surprising bright light at full intensity from the two LEDs. The design is inspired and well thought-through for different uses. I like that the Lamp has different intensities and also a strobe in case of emergencies. Not just for camping, this is the "go-to" Lamp for many applications. Buying this product helps reduce costs for others around the World so in need of solar-powered lighting. Many thanks to Camille van Gestel for driving this product
on February 19, 2013
After carefully reviewed the comments by other buyers, I decided to purchase this lovely lamp. When I opened the package i found it really tiny and cute, unlike the some "made in china" products manufactured in a rough and slipshod way, this light was made in high quality, exactly the same as I expected. It doesn't weigh too much, meaning it is possible to put it in bag and carry it around. I put it by the window and the weather was quite cloudy, the green LED started blinking.

There should not be any problems reading with the lamp. Once I figure out how long it will actually last, I'll update my review.

One suggestion:
It will be better if the designer could consider using smooth angles instead of sharp ones in the next version.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the purchase.

UPDATE: May 3rd, 2013

I found battery of this light not as durable as advertised, it can only last for 3 hrs after charging under sunshine, very disappointed.