Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Here Comes Science forum

Offensive to religious people

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2009 5:28:22 AM PDT
Darrell Till says:
Yes, this album will offend many with a strong religious belief. Not because of it's scientific content. Not even because of its stand on evolution (which some religious people, I understand, accept alongside their faith).
No - this album is offensive to many major religions because it mocks the belief in Angels by likening them to mythical unicorns.
This will be the first TMBG product that I will not be buying in over 20 years of being a fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2009 7:58:37 AM PDT
M. Rock says:
Not to mention how many unicorn believers are going to be offended! they should be ashamed.

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 1:53:51 PM PDT
It's pretty sad that you can't enjoy the music just because you disagree with the lyrics.

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 8:06:08 AM PDT
Jay says:
I looked up the lyric in question, and I frankly don't see any mocking taking place.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2009 6:38:37 PM PDT
E. Vage says:
They might be giants are still cool to me too. I agree, I may be slightly offended by their words of angels as being stories. The way I look at it, is that the music and lyrics are suppose to be just light hearted fun, and not intended to be offensive. Their music is still fun and enjoyable, and (if you permit yourself)you can just laugh at the lyrics instead of just being offended. It's just light hearted fun. Way to go tmbg!!!

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 7:26:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 1, 2009 7:26:56 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 4:28:16 PM PDT
Brian Naylor says:
Guys, angels are in fact make-believe. Sorry to have to be the one to break it to you.

Also, Santa is just your parents.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2009 4:29:30 PM PDT
sara sue says:
For D. Till: I couldn't agree with you less. First of all, it's a Science album. Secondly, IT'S A SCIENCE ALBUM. Consider, in the History of Music, the ratio of songs-about-angels to songs-about-Science. See? The angel songs outnumber the Science songs by about a zillion to one. So, guess what? You win! Now, why don't you go comfort yourself with that cold, hard FACT, and let the rest of us enjoy this brief and precious moment where the joy of Science, sanity and pop music come together for a change?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2009 5:26:58 PM PDT
Darrell Till says:
You're right that there have been lots more songs about Angels in the past. Some of those songs are called Hymns. I find it ironic that most of the complaints thrown against religion by atheists can be thrown straight back at them. Now evolution really is just becoming the same as a religion as it has its own 'hymns' and ways to indoctrinate children. I just didn't imagine it would be TMBG doing it.

And to the guy with the Santa comment - that is exactly the sort of straw man argument that loses evolutionists points in the whole debate. If you can prove there was no creator with undeniable proof then do it. Of course it is easy to convince some that there is no creator by saying he is the same as Santa, or by calling him a "bearded man in the sky". That isn't science, it's playground name-calling.

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 7:00:15 PM PDT
sara sue says:
I believe D. Till just called me an Atheist. In the spirit of fellowship, I'm going to pray for him.

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 9:56:00 PM PDT
Brian Naylor says:
> If you can prove there was no creator

That's not how it works. The burden of proof is on the person making claims that something *does* exist for which there is no evidence. ..and frankly, name-calling is really all this nonsense is worth.

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 11:42:06 PM PDT
M. Taber says:
I'm not going to stop being a TMBG fan anytime soon. I'm a confirmed agnostic, and I plan to love this album, but...

I do agree that the Angels and Unicorns line is unnecessarily alienating. Don't they want to teach Christian kids about science as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2009 6:26:37 AM PDT
R. Law says:
What a shame you let such trivialities ruin your enjoying what interests you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2009 6:29:24 AM PDT
R. Law says:
Actually, evolutionists have the upper hand in any perceived debate a creationists think exists on the subject.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2009 6:31:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2009 6:41:31 AM PDT
J. Blilie says:
DUH! Unicorns are fully Biblical! Have a look:

Numbers 23:22 "God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn."

Numbers 24:8 "God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn."

Deuteronomy 33:17 "His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns"

Job 39:9,10 "Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow?"

Psalms 22:21 "Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns."

Psalms 29:6 "He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn."

Psalms 92:10 "But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil."

Isaiah 34:7 "And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness."

------------

And my, we have thin skins don't we? Do you feel you are owed some special treatment? Do you not ridicule atheists? Why?

Do you respect people who believe in leprechauns? Do you respect people who believe in Ganesh, Shiva, and Hanuman? Why one and not the other, since you don't believe in either (I am assuming you are a Christian; that could be wrong, please enlighten us.) You are an atheist with regard to every other god in the world except your own flavor. Why?

All the best, JB

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 7:34:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2009 8:55:10 AM PDT
I agree with a great many points made here, but the one that sticks out to me is M. Taber's. It is exactly that: unnecessarily alienating.

I love the band, but I'm not always good with their decisions. Another one that kills me is from Here Come The ABCs..."L and M and N and P won't stop til O arrives." If you're trying to teach a kid the alphabet... "LMNPO" just doesn't cut it, guys, I don't care how cool you thought it sounded.

And then there's the Dozen Monkeys video from Here Come the 1,2,3s... can't really blame the band for this one, though: "A baker's dozen, that's THIRTEEN cupcakes." Yup, you got that right, but look at what the animator has placed on the screen at that point... 4 groups of 4, plus one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2009 7:35:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2009 8:14:18 AM PDT
J. Blilie says:
"loses evolutionists points in the whole debate"

What debate would that be? There's no debate about the fact of evolution (primarily by natural selection (EBNS)) in life on earth. At least there's no debate amongst informed people. There's certainly no debate amongst biologists.

There are various discussions in biology about certain features of evolution (the contributions of genetic drift versus natural selection; the contribution of embryonic development for "evolvability"; the rate of evolution at various times in history) but the overall picture: Life as we know it evolved from simpler beginnings and is all part of an overall "tree of life" defined by common descent is nowhere in dispute amongst reputable and informed scientists.

(There is still work to be done regarding the origin of life. This is not a topic for evolution. EBNS is an essentially necessary consequence of self-replicating entities (life on earth being one example of such.))

There is a mountain of data (literally billions of interlocking data points) in support of EBNS. I have yet to see a single datum in support of special supernatural creation. EBNS can be falsified with data. Find the data! (Lots of luck!)

Not to mention that all this is entirely OT for a discussion about a music CD ...

All the best, JB

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2009 9:41:04 AM PDT
Odd, we are saying something doesn't exist and you expect us to come up with evidence of this non-existence. Not exactly possible. Why don't you try to prove whichever god you are in to does exist, that should be a whole lot easier.

And really, if you don't like the album, don't buy it. But don't expect others to have to live by your rules.

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 9:41:08 AM PDT
sara sue says:
>Unicorns are fully Biblical! <

Great, let's go boycott Shel Silverstein!

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 9:59:46 AM PDT
J. Lesinski says:
Lets not forget that TMBG already wrote the song "She's an Angel", so clearly they also like angels. Does that help Till?

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 10:24:49 AM PDT
sara sue says:
>>Another one that kills me is from Here Come The ABCs..."L and M and N and P won't stop til O arrives." If you're trying to teach a kid the alphabet... "LMNPO" just doesn't cut it, guys, I don't care how cool you thought it sounded.<<

The lyric is "won't START till O arrives." Hope that helps. If not, I can get my 5 yr old in on this discussion and she can explain the metaphors to one and all.

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 11:36:19 AM PDT
FC! says:
>>Another one that kills me is from Here Come The ABCs..."L and M and N and P won't stop til O arrives." If you're trying to teach a kid the alphabet... "LMNPO" just doesn't cut it, guys, I don't care how cool you thought it sounded.<<

Uh...I taught my daughter the alphabet...I don't rely on musicians to do this for me. You shouldn't rely on them to teach you science either. These CDs are meant to be fun for kids, nothing much else. Of course, here comes the 123s did teach my daughters that all of the 9 Pirate girls stank.

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 12:11:16 PM PDT
Chrisfs says:
The science/religion debate is a fake issue promoted by a few. About 40% of scientists identify has a religious affiliation or believe in a god of some sort.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2009 12:42:31 PM PDT
B. Hanks says:
98% of Life Scientists (Biologists, Paleontologists, etc) and Earth Scientists (Geologists, Geophysicists) do not believe in the creation myth of a god creating the world and all its creatures in a week and that the subsequent belief in a young (6,000 year old) earth. (The 2% that do believe hold credentials from fake universities and are not published in reputable journals.)

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 1:10:48 PM PDT
I am a devout Christian...if they want to sing about Evolution being a fact, fine, I can just skip the track and enjoy the rest of the tracks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Here Comes Science forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Here Comes Science
Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants (Audio CD - 2009)
4.8 out of 5 stars (396)