Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

on January 14, 2012
There has been enough written about using Microsoft's office apps versus Apple's on the iMac. I'll not rehash that here. I need every feature I can get my hands on so I checked Amazon today for the best price on Office 2011 for the Mac. Given that I only have one Mac in the house I was happy to see I could save a few bucks on the 1 license/1 mac version.

Then I saw the download version available and wondered if I should do that or wait the two days for the disks. The item description said it could take from 1 hour and 30 minutes to 5 hours to download. One of the reviewers said the download didn't work. I thought I'd take the risk anyway given I have all the latest hardware and software, fast cable internet connection, a little bit of tech knowledge, trust Amazon to take care of its customers, and am increasingly enjoying the new world of online availability of everything without having to store disks.

So here's my take: It took me 8 minutes to download the software and 4 minutes to install it. Then I had to get back on Amazon for the software key, as you need to quit Safari to finish the install. Upon starting the software it checked for updates and I needed to install service pack 1 which took another couple of minutes. All in all the process was completely error free and under 20 minutes. It doesn't get any better than this! Highly recommend!

The only reason I might reconsider the digital download is if I was unsure about my internet or hardware/software setup. But if that was the case, then I wouldn't be looking at Office 2011 anyway, as it might not work well on my setup anyway. The thing people need to remember is that upgrading necessitates upgrading -- the best way to keep your old hardware is to keep your old software, but when you want the latest and greatest, be prepared for the costs for all the latest to go with it.
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2011
It may have had some bugs before (which is probably why it has some low reviews) but the current version works smoothly with OS X Lion. I had no problems installing it or putting in the product code. Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint all work just like they do on windows and docs/presentations/spreadsheets can be transfered to windows computers. So far I've had no problems with any of the 3 and am very pleased with my purchase. A must have for all Mac users.

Do note that it comes with Word, Powerpoint and Excel. If you want Outlook you need another version that includes it or you can but this version and buy Outlook later. This version will give you the Outlook icon when you install the other 3 and if you click on it you have the option to buy Outlook.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2012
This software reminds me of why I recently gave up the PC and moved to the Mac.

All I wanted for work was Word and Excel. I am a pretty advanced user and did not want to start experimenting with Mac productivity suites. So I just decided to buy this, the cheapest version of Office I could find and download onto my 2012 MacBook Air.

Now I may have missed the avoid bloatware button when I installed this software but I was very annoyed to see completely unnecessary garbage installed on my computer without my permission. Microsoft Instant Messenger, a dozen tiny programs I am never going to use. Microsoft even had the audacity to install an Outlook icon on my task tray. Since this package does not come with Outlook I was intrigued (as well as annoyed that so many icons had just been installed) so I clicked it. Nothing but a message telling me I had to buy Outlook if I wanted to use it. Seriously? One of the biggest software companies in the world using adware like a cheap shareware program?

It's especially annoying to have unnecessary junk like that on a machine with only 256Gb of hard drive space. So consider that when installing, maybe there is an option to be more selective and I skipped over it by mistake.

So annoying hard drive wasting bloatware aside, it's Office, just like I'm used to. The interface has changed some, but it seems perfectly usable for my needs. I've not used it enough to establish if there is any major flaws in it so far, I guess time will tell.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2012
I like the convenience of a digital download along with the fact that I can re-download it at any time through amazon services. Why didn't someone think of this earlier? It eliminates the risk of someone losing the CD.
on January 5, 2012
Downloaded in 38 minutes for me. MacBook Pro. Installed, including downloading/installing Office updates, up and running 20 minutes later. This 2011 Office will take some learning. Got fed up with IWorks. So many things you can't do in IWorks. Can't open IWorks document in Word. Not totally surprised. But I can transfer Word/Excel/PP docs from my old Mac.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
The download was quick, and within 20 minutes I was using Excel. I looked at the comments before purchasing, and 2 were bad and 3 were good. This worked great for me... very smooth. I recommend it!
VINE VOICEon November 28, 2011
I recently got a Mac, and had to make the hard decision of choosing Microsoft Office or iWorks. After downloading the trial of both products and trying them out the decision was clear, and I purchased Office For Mac 2011. They both have a similar template chooser which starts with the product (I disabled this, since I like going straight to a new document), and they both serve their purpose (Word, Excel, PowerPoint like programs). Office for Mac 2011 works really well, I have not had any bugs, or weird behavior (except the cursor blinks very slow, it sometimes seems to not be their, however you can change a PLIST file to speed this up). I like the ribbon interface, since I am using this now instead of Office 2010 for Window, I was quite familiar with it. The ribbon is very similar to the Windows version and the themes are quite similar (if not the same). If you are use to that pop up menu when you highlight items in 2010 you will not find it here (unless it is somewhere in settings), which is fine with me, since that always seemed to just get in the way. You can save in nearly all formats that Windows Office can (DOC, DOCX, PDF...) same for Excel and PowerPoint. My main decision to choose Office over iWorks is the inclusion of an Equation editor (which is available in Word under Document Elements) which allows you to enter an equation and use easy Structures or math symbols to create a professional scientific document with references and equations (something that costs extra in iWorks), this is identical to Office for Windows (2010) equation Tools. While that is my main reason for choosing over iWorks, I also want to mention that the familiarity you get from going from Windows to Mac Office is great. I can open any program (regardless of fonts or special items), this means documents from work (which all uses Windows) or school (also Windows) can be opened and edited on my Mac and vise versa with out fear of compatibly issues. The autocorrect options that work in the Mac in all Apple based programs are not used (from what I can tell) in Office, instead it resembles that of Windows Office with autocorrect items, and the little drop down to go back or change rules. When you want to edit something you can use the toolboxes (Media or Reference Tools) to import symbols, pictures, clip art or other items into Office for Mac, sort of the like the box that would appear in the right side of Office for Windows. Also, when you install this (or iWorks) you can start using preview to view Documents, Spreadsheets, and Presentations! Once a product that can read the files is installed you can hit SPACE after clicking a file to peak inside and see the entire file, however special characters or equations will not appear, after installing Office for Mac 2011 the Mac associated all files that Office can open with its respective program, super easy and now you can quickly view items to find the right one without opening each item.

In the end this software is easy to use installs easily (insert DVD, accept terms, install, then activate with product key), and gives you all the benefits of a Mac with the familiarity of Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint. I highly like this edition and do not see much difference from office 2010 (Windows) to this Office for Mac 2011; which is exactly what I wanted!!!!

To let you know I am using Office for Mac 2011 (Home & Student [Yellow Box], 1 pack). Using a MacBook Pro (early 2011) Quad Core Intel i7, 8GB of RAM, Mac OS X Lion (10.7.2). Just in case you need to know, when you install the software you also get Messenger and Remote Desktop Connection (I do not use these programs, but I thought you might like to know), also the installer places Outlook on the Launchpad and Dock, however, you cannot run it without upgrading. I do not use Outlook so I did not need it. This edition of Office for Mac comes with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2011
Office 2011 makes Office 2008 look good. The installation went OK, but then the problems began with many annoyances that prevented me from being productive. For example, in Word, it would not see embedded graphics created with earlier versions of Word, unless the graphics were saved in the earlier document with wrapping other than "in line with text". Another example is that many formatting commands that are easily accessible in the toolbar and formatting palette of earlier versions of MS Office are not so in the ribbon of Office 2011. In addition, the toolbar in Word 2011 for no apparent reason grays out and is unusable forcing you to use the ribbon. If you want to use canned Microsoft templates, the ribbon is fine, but it is inflexible and hogs space on a small laptop screen. I finally threw up my hands, removed Office 2011 completely, held my nose and reinstalled Office 2008. When I really need to be productive, I still use Office 2004, which is better by far than the subsequent versions. Don't waste your money on the current version of Office and more importantly, don't waste your time.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2012
If you've been working in an office environment for years and years and decide to buy a Mac for home can be a bit frustrating. Do you really want to re-learn something as simple as a document? Did not care for Mac word processor at all. I want to open a new doc and get it done without reformatting every little thing to get it the way I want it to look. I'm sure the Mac editor is just fine but not for folks who've been using windows for 10+ years. Got old excel files? Want to open them in a Mac? What are you going to do? This is worth the 90 bucks to regain familiarity and productivity. From download to updates to opening existing files is about 45 minutes with a good internet connection. If my Mac starts misbehaving I'll come back and whine but for now, all my old files open just fine and look the way they should. I'm a happy camper...
on January 9, 2012
I could not function without this product. It was very easy to download and everything gels together.
This is not my first time ordering software from Amazon and I would purchase similar products from Amazon in the future.