Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why Book 2)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 7, 2012
Since I'm a former officer I find it my duty to write a review on this book. Unfortunately it's not very positive. I read the first book in the series "A Soldier's Duty" with some pleasure but I was disappointed with number two. The problem is really with the hero of the book, IA. She is simply to good to be true. With her precognition abillity she's always rigth, which makes for rather boring reading in the end. Her kind of "Holier Than You" leadership makes me gnash my teeth after 40 years of service, from squadleader to brigade commander. Ms Johnson obviously don't have much practical experience of leadership or havd had help with it. Don't think I'll read the next book, sorry.
on August 8, 2012
If you are looking for an exciting military science fiction book with female main characters, an Officer's Duty definitely fits the bill. I'm a sucker for consistent characters, a well thought out plot and interesting world-building. It's amazing how enjoyable (and rare!) it is to find a book where the characters are all mostly competent, good at their jobs, and try to do and be the best they can. No one is obviously evil or stupid or mean. It's a very enjoyable book and well worth the cost. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
on August 6, 2012
This book in my mind rates right up there with O'leary and Longknife books. Well thought out plots,action and dialogue that back up the plot. The whole story is well woven and hangs together very well. You won't be disappointed in it and is well worth the money to read it. Will definitely be buying the next in the series.
on August 11, 2012
I loved An Officer's Duty. While I haven't read A Soldier's Duty . .. . yet . .. . This one is well written, easy to sink into, wonderful characters, even the ones who aren't completely fleshed out. What I enjoyed most was Ia's character as she aged a few years and put herself through her career choice. She doesn't lose her sense of courtesy, justice, and treatment of others. Her honor is intact just as her yearly psi tests reveal. She's a character you can believe in and follow as she becomes and is an officer.

What clinched it for me in writing this review . .. . I went to Jean Johnson's web page and saw her comments from a soldier in Afghanistan. He wrote her telling her how much he appreciate her book A Soldier's Duty. Since my son is in the Air Force, reading that and having read An Officer's Duty -- Yup, had to write a review and let others know about this book and why I loved it: A futuristic setting in which soldiers and officers play a part but also a reminder of how our military serves for us today. I plan on getting copies of both books to mail to my son. He loves science fiction and fantasy/paranormal books. I know he'll be encouraged and enjoy them as much as I have. Thank you Jean Johnson for a wonderful series. I also look forward to your next book. Keep them coming! - Dan's wife
on September 4, 2012
Book 1, Soldiers Duty blew me away, this one An Officer's Duty while very good seemed to lack the depth of the character of the first, however, it's excellent and I can't wait for the next one!
on August 22, 2012
This second book is much better than the first. It is more consistent. There are no sudden additional powers, and there is more depth in the threats she sees for the galaxy and a bit more uncertainty in her life.

Noth the best sci fi/military sci fi series I've ever read, but certainly has a lot of potential which I hope the author is up to fulfilling.
on August 6, 2012
The story line of this book is extremely imaginative. All the different caracters being introduced are great. The story has everything combat, intruige, conspiracy, and family. What do you do if you are the only person that can save the galaxy and the only way to do it is to do a thousand different things and be at a thousand different placed all at the exact time and place throughout your live to save everyone 300 years after your death? What would you do?
on September 6, 2012
It's wonderful to read another of Jean Johnson's stories. Always inventive and exciting. I wish that I had not put off starting to read this series. I look forward to the next book.

Great story line. Creative and not predictable like most fiction. Outer space and paranormal fiction at its finest.
This second book in the THEIRS NOT TO REASON WHY series was just as exciting and fun to read as the first book A Soldier's Duty.

I'm so glad I was pointed to this series. I love space operas and militaristic sci fi and thoroughly enjoyed my "travels" through this segment of Ia's story.

Ia goes to the Academia de Marinha Estrelas (Naval service Academy in Portugal) and goes through accelerated course work to become an officer. This was after a short side trip to her home world of Sanctuary to visit her mothers and brothers and put more plans into place to protect her family, friends and planet.

Then it's back to space for Ia and her daredevil antics to save lives and prepare all the sentient races to the coming mayhem in 300 years.

Author Johnson's attention to detail is amazing and the world building she accomplishes shows a master's touch as far as dealing with detail. Ia does come across as a little too perfect at times but then she has many psi powers to help her accomplish her goals so I just sit back and enjoy the read.

I'm now getting ready to read the third book in the series Hellfire. The fourth book "Damnation" isn't out yet and I hope it will be soon.
on November 21, 2013
"she discovers an unexpected challenge: the one man who could disrupt those plans. The man whose future she cannot foresee.."

At which point a rather unique story became a predictable and trite 'love story'.
All that the author had built in the story was flipped 180 degrees by hormones....causal hormones at that.

Irrelevant and gratuitous sexuality injected in a manner which, contrary to the continuity of Ia's mission/goals within the 'Military Protocol' (as Ia had portrayed it) of the story, professionalism is absurdly ignored by a superior officer sweetly trying to play cupid...

How out of 'character' was this transition?
I had bought books 2 and 3 after finishing book 1.
This occurs at about midpoint in the story in book 2...

I deleted all 3 from my library

It is not the 'sexuality'...that, like any component of a story, either fits or is stuffed in for reasons unknown.
It fits and works within the context of the story or it is 'hormones out of left field', cheap thrills and a narrative's spell is broken.