Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on November 16, 2010
First off, this disc will only play in 3D, and it's only 720p, this is one reason why I deducted 1 star.

In spite of it only being 720p, the scenes on the soccer/football fields are pretty amazing. The extra inserted interview footage, not so much. the interview footage is very soft and not quite too sharp, where as the footage on the fields is amazingly sharp.

This movie is simply a documentary of the World Cup playoffs in South Africa. It points out how having the tournament in S. Africa has given pride to the nation as a whole, and brought people of all races in Africa together.

Mainly, however, it highlights many of the (most important) games of the FIFA 2010 World Cup series. I am by no means a sports fan, but I found this BD very entertaining. The footage shot during the games at times makes you feel like your right in the middle of the action. For the most part, the 3D was shot very well, except for a few brief instances of mis-synch between left and right images, and what appears to be a brief instances where the stereo seems inverted. There's not too much of this, however, but this is the other reason I deducted one star.

The interviews and other supplementary inserted footage at times appears to be rather flat, with very little depth, especially the outside shots of the stadiums, but I assume that is due to the zoom factor from a long distance. The interviews were shot rather close, and those are almost flat as well.

However, the game footage is awesome, which is why I bought the BD in the first place. I had seen a short clip of some of the action in 3D which looked really nice, and when I saw the title up for pre-oreder, I jumped on it.

It was nice to see how they take you through the games, highlighting the important goals, wins and losses. I really felt bad when the last African nation in the series, Ghana, lost. Being right in the middle of it made it feel more real for me.

Overall, the film was very well made, and in spite of being only 720p resolution, looks very good. There was practically no ghosting to speak of, at least on my 42" Panasonic Plasma screen.

When I inserted the disc, and started the movie, it immediately displayed in 3D, I didn't have to chage the setting on the TV. The TV and BluRay player have what Panasonic calls VieraLink, which lets the devices communicate with each other when connected via HDMI. I have the BluRay player set to always play 3D titles in 3D, so I don't know if this is why I didn't have to set the TV myself.

At any rate, this was a very entertaining look at something I virtually ignored while it was happening, the FIFA 2010 World Cup. I will watch it again, at some point, and I would reccomment this title to the folks out there with 3d TV's that are hungry for content. It's a live action film, as opposed to the mostly CGI 3D movies that have been made in the last few years, so this is another bonus -- getting to see real humans in 3D.
1010 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2010
This is a soccer fan BD only. It has stunning images that only the ones who love this sport would aprecciate. The truth is that could be better because has a poor storyline while narrating the World Cup but the ones who followed the tournament will have no problems to remember everything and focus on the 3D images and highlights of the tournament.
If you are looking for a BD which contains a lot of fotage of you national team this is not you best option, although if you what the best 3D shoots and moments of the 2010 FIFA World Cup then you're gona love it.

The best:

- Best 3D
- Pure soccer

The worst:

- Few information 'bout the tournament
- Barely no images of USA and England teams
on July 23, 2011
So I had yet to see sports in 3D so I figured this would be a good bet to check it out. I have to say I like soccer in 3D, it doesn't pop out at you (i.e. it's not like they're actually playing in your living room), but the depth perception that it creates does add a dimension to the game you can appreciate. Players moving in front and behind each other, the goal post sticking out on the field, the ball being very easy to track...awesome. The biggest effect is when you see the crowd, and how every row is distinguishable from each other. It's like you're at the game in that regard.

As for the actual highlight reel, it is not as riveting as it could have been. I did like the focus on the African countries and Ghana especially, I forgot how good they actually were in the WC. Yet, they leave out a number of teams and key moments others have already mentioned (US, England, pretty much anyone that wasn't in the final 8 really). All in all worth the purchase if you want the 3d footage, otherwise I'm sure there are better documentaries out there.
on March 18, 2011
This disc has mostly fantastic looking 3D and is among the best released on BD so far. The video from the WC highlights has first rate sports real life 3D. The interviews that were conducted and inserted into this film are mostly out of focus and do not look as good as the football highlights. But the highlights are the important part and the 3D on this disc looks better than the original broadcast.

I watched most of the WC games and this was a fun recap.
on May 21, 2013
I have owned a 3d tv for a few years and love the 3d movies. This film is a mst for World Cup fans. On a side note, does anyone know the opening instrumental song played in the film?
on July 7, 2013
it`s a nice remenber for the world cup 4 years ago. besides that, i expected to see more teams, specially from latin america!!
on October 5, 2011
The 3d in this dvd looks great on my sony tv great recap of games it was just not what i expected but worth the money.
on September 19, 2013
Very good picture ,,,, when I was watching I feel like I'm in stadium ,,, I recommend if love soccer
on August 6, 2014
great summury so afetr the worl cup you get to see most of the goals
on January 5, 2015