Official 2010 World Series Film, Giants
Format: DVDChange
Price:$7.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 14, 2010
This is amazing. I had taped the Comcast/KNBR replay and dreaded having to edit the commercials out. The 8 DVD set has all 5 World Series games that have 4 audio options, and yes, Kruk, Kuip and Dave call the game!! The bonus disc is good, not enough of each clip but a great recap. ***** When you choose the KNBR audion option, there is blank air at the beginning, don't panic, they'll come on. You'll see the FOX video but KNBR is synched to the game. There are odd edits once in a while but you get the complete games with the best announcers in the world!!!!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2010
So the World Series DVD set arrived this afternoon. I checked it out a little bit.
There is NO KNBR audio on the two games from the Philadelphia series, which I find to be a glaring omission.
I don't know about you, but I HATE the Fox announcers...especially Tim McCarver. So having KNBR's Kruk and Kuip (and Flem and Jon Miller) on the DVD set is a great bonus for me.
Unfortunately, the KNBR audio on the World Series games sounds somewhat "tinny," like they're talking into tin cans or a wastebasket. And there are a lot of silent moments where the audio does not match up to the game.
Overall, the Comcast Sports Net re-broadcasts of the playoff and World Series games--presented with the KNBR audio (and no silent moments)--are MUCH superior.
The DVD quality in the World Series 2010 set is good, but it is not close to the quality of the Blu-Ray (the beautiful, yet brief, MLB World Series recap Blu-Ray) or the HD re-broadcasts of the games on Comcast Sports Net (or even the lame edited versions on MLB Network).
But the 2010 World Series DVD set stands the test of time, and is still a must for any dedicated Giants fan. This DVD set is not a fickle DVR that may be swapped away someday or accidentally erased. And it's not a highlight film that shows parts of each World Series game without presenting the whole.
I just wish they had done a better job with this DVD set.
That's my review. GO GIANTS!!!
on November 5, 2010
I'm writing this "review" before the DVDs have been released, but thought that prospective buyers might like to have a bit of additional information about them. For one thing, Amazon's price is about $5 lower than what MLB.com is asking, although Amazon's shipping charge may nullify that advantage. Also, according to the blurb on MLB.com's website, the DVDs apparently include pre-game and post-game interviews, as well as four audio channels (Fox Sports, Fox en Espanol, and flagship radio station play-by-play for BOTH teams). Can't ask for much more than all of this. Certainly a must for Giants fans and maybe Rangers fans too.
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 8, 2010
I purchased the blu ray version of this DVD and it is amazing. Awesome picture quality and footage of The City, fans and camera angles of the games that you definately haven't seen before. Rob Schreiner narrates this but he does a great job. There are no slapstick comedy stuff thrown in from the actor. Some have said that the commentary is a little low in volume compared to the music but I didn't find it to be a problem.
This DVD is a great mix of all the big moments on the field, behind the scenes footage like interviews and players discussing the excitement. There's even footage of Cody Ross walking through the city streets on his way to the park before game 1.
Bonus footage includes:

10. World Series Game 5: Lincecum Strikeouts
11. World Series Game 5: Edgar Renteria HR
12. World Series Game 5: Final Out and Celebration
13. World Series Parade

If you or a family member is a Giants fan you have to get this DVD. It's worth every penny!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 18, 2010
The Giants website (through MLB.com) also notes that this includes games 4 & 6 of the NLCS!

See below:

[...]

The ultimate baseball collectible, this 8-disc set features all of the complete World Series Games versus the Rangers, as well as the NLCS Games 4 & 6 versus the Phillies and a special bonus disc.
In addition to the full games presented on each World Series disc, pre-game and postgame interviews, and MLB Network coverage, and 4 audio channels (Fox Sports, Fox en Espanol, Flagship Radio Station Play-by-Play for BOTH teams) all enhance the viewer experience.
A special bonus disc features 60 minutes of regular and postseason highlights, player interviews, and celebratory footage.
on December 11, 2010
I pre-ordered this DVD the moment it arrived on amazon. It finally arrived today. I opened it up and turned it on for my family to watch during dinner.

Sadly the background music overpowered the narration and we could hardly follow the storyline. Hopefully others who have purchased the dvd are not having the same experience as my family. I would gladly replace my "bad disc" and buy another one with well balanced audio levels.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2010
All other reviewers have already mentioned what's great about this DVD set. I agree it was amazing to watch it all esp. the entire World Series with the local KNBR guys doing the play by play. That little bit was awesome and thank you MLB Productions for paying attention to the fans who have complained for a really long time about the FOX broadcasters - to give the SF Giants fans this option was amazing.

OK - there are a COUPLE of nits that I would like to mention. Keep in mind I have not seen every single minute of the 8 DVD set, but one of my favorite parts of the WS is the post game interviews, and especially the post game during the series clinching game.

I know this is a MLB production, so at the end of each game you will get both the televised FOX and MLB network post game stuff which was cool.

HOWEVER - there are some weird edit points that occurs about 1:47:35 on Disc 7. Looks like some cuts were done to make sure the MLB post game celebratory stuff got on there. The FOX stuff ends abruptly and the disc completely drops the interviews with Cody Ross and Buster Posey, which sucks because they were great interviews. Plus, the Aubrey Huff interview in the locker room is also dropped.

For those of you who still have a copy of the FOX broadcast, you will see the difference.

I also noticed they cut the multiple replays showing the reaction of all the on field players after the final strike. That too was cut out. I wished MLB productions would have left the FOX post game in its entirety, but I guess that was an editing decision.

Still, all in all, a good package. I will spend the next several days going through all the discs. For now, this is a must have for any real San Francisco Giants fan -- this was the first one, baby, and it was SWEET.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2010
As a lifelong Giants fan, I get chills watching this. Beautiful HD video and some awesome camera angles. I solved the sound problem others have noted where the music overpowers the narration by switching the audio setting to 2.0 stereo instead of DTS 5.1. Try it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2011
Let me start by saying THE GIANTS WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!

Now, to the box set.

Box Art - Design is pretty cool. The front of each jewel case lists misc facts like attendance balls/strikes etc. The back of each jewel case lists the box score and inside cover has a breakdown of each inning.

Disc 1 (Game 4 of NLCS) - Only Fox audio available. Oswalt Chokes in relief!

Disc 2 (Game 6 of NLCS) - Only Fox audio available. Bullpen saves Sanchez's life!!

Disc 3 (Game 1 of World Series) - Fox, Spanish audio, Rangers broadcast, and KRUK & KUIP!!
Giants OWN Cliff Lee!!

Disc 4 (Game 2 of World Series) - Fox, Spanish audio, Rangers broadcast, and KRUK & KUIP!!
Matt Cain! Rangers bullpen implodes!!

Disc 5 (Game 3 of World Series) - Fox, Spanish audio, Rangers broadcast, and KRUK & KUIP!!

Disc 6 (Game 4 of World Series) - Fox, Spanish audio, Rangers broadcast, and KRUK & KUIP!!
Bumgarner owns! Crazy female Ranger fan squeals!

Disc 7 (Game 5 of World Series) - Fox, Spanish audio, Rangers broadcast, and KRUK & KUIP!!
The after game celebration you will have to listen to the Fox feed for interviews. The
K&K feed is them talking to Flemming who is in the locker room.

Disc 8 (Bonus Disc) - Various short clips/highlights of the season including:
- Giants clinch NL West.
- NLDS and NLCS highlights.
- The Victory Parade. Although it reall only shows Bochy and a couple others at the podium.
- 2010 Inside the Park Home Runs.
- Matt Cain's One Hitter.
- Buster Posey's first hit & HR.
- Posey's Hit Streak Reaches 21 Games.
- Juan Uribe's Two HR's in one inning.
- Brian Wilson's Shoes & Beard.
- World Series Final Out and Celebration.

PROS:
- It's the Fricken Giants World Series!!
- Chapter points are at every half inning. You can access any inning any time.
- MLB Network Wrap after each game.
- Main Menu intro is pretty cool. (Same for each disc)

CONS:
- K&K audio feed is not complete throughout. The beginning introductions and at some points
between innings is dead air.
- K&K audio is very low in volume. You'll have to turn your TV up pretty high.
- Clinching game of NLDS vs. Braves not included.
- SD not Hi-def.
- Only a short clip of the parade. I wish the bonus disc included the entire parade.
on December 17, 2010
Nope, it's NOT on blu-ray. I would have loved that too because I love 1080 HD, but people, the quality is really NOT that bad and is much better than most of the other A&E World Series sets, besides I love the San Francisco Giants more than I love 1080p. I remember watching the Giants play the Dodgers on KTVU back in the 60's with my father. Yep, 2 or 3 camera angles on a 20 inch black & white television with rabbit-ear antenna reception. I'm 52 now and have waited my whole life to see the Giants win it all. To be able to savor these games, and watch them with Kruk & Kuip & Dave doing the play-by-play is worth the price of owning this set today.

The games and the added 10 minutes or so at the end of the games along with the alternate audio tracks are just about everything I need. There is a very small bit of coverage of the parade at the end of the game 5 disc, and it really would have been nice to have a disc of the parade, but I'm doing just fine with this set. It also includes a "Bonus Disc" of "Milestones" and "Post season" play. Included on the disc is one of my favorite moments from the 2010 season....Aubrey Huff's first home run as a Giant. It's one moment I'll always remember and will always chuckle about.

Hardcore Baseball fans and even maybe casual San Francisco Giants fans would be doing themselves a favor to pick this set up, especially since it's under $40. That price may not last.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...