5.0 out of 5 stars Review for GMAT OG Quant
The GMAT OG Quantitative book should be an essential book for anyone preparing for the GMAT.

The Good:
Published on September 18, 2009 by hopeful

1.0 out of 5 stars It didn't do me justice.
Published on November 9, 2010 by matthew wanat

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for GMAT OG Quant, September 18, 2009

The Good:
You'll get hands on experience with real GMAT quant questions that have been previously administered on actual tests, but have now been retired. Since the questions in this book were once part of the actual test, you'll know exactly what type of questions to expect when you take your test.

How to Turn the Good to Work:
To make the best use of this book, use it after you undergo a thorough review of all the math concepts. The best source for doing so would be the Kaplan book if you need a quick refresher, or the EZ Solutions GMAT series if you need a thorough review of each and every math concept imaginable.

The Bad:
Although this book has real test questions, the level of difficulty doesn't go too high. If you are specifically aiming for 700+ score, you ought to do a lot more practice question than what you can find in this book. The answer explanations are not that great because of two main reasons. First, the explanations are not clear. Second, sometimes you can find an easier/shorter way to reach the answer. Moreover, don't expect to get any review of any math content in this book.

How to Overcome the Bad:
Like mentioned above, use the EZ Solutions GMAT series for in-depth math review and practicing problems of all level, from basic to advanced. Another great resource would be the Kaplan math workbook to get some additional practice problems.

The Bottom Line:
In spite of the "bad's," the "good's" makes this book a must-have for all GMAT takers. For under $15, you'll get to see real math questions published by the test makers. Before you turn to any other book for practice, this should be your first choice. Of course, like I mentioned earlier, you'll need to seek additional sources for reviewing math concepts and practicing math question.

Final Note:
Whatever your case may be, do not skip this book. I can't stress enough, but if you are preparing for the GMAT, get this book, along with the main Official Guide.

In my opinion, the above is exactly what you will get from this book, not an inch more, not an inch less. I hope my review would help at least a few of you, if not everyone. Thanks for reading. Good luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars It didn't do me justice., November 9, 2010
I just took the Gmat. As in 30 minutes ago. I already wrote a review on the verbal gmat review and now came over to review the quantitative. The exam was much harder than this book. There were questions on the GMAT that are far more complex and difficult than are contained in this review or the official GMAT review. This book is ok for giving you the basic layout and ideas, but it just didn't come close to what I just went through. I know it sounds like I'm griping because I did poorly on the quantitative section. But take it as a warning. I know I studied well and had other books to go along with this review guide. I studied the principles and problems contained within this book, but when it came to the actual test, there were questions I simply didn't recognize. The practice tests on MBA.com didn't do me much good either apparently. Where I excelled at the verbal, I fell far short on my expectations on the quantitative. On average of the practice scores compared to my actual score, I dropped 24 percentile points!!! THAT'S 24 PERCENTILE POINTS!!! This book and the practice tests aren't difficult enough. They aren't in depth enough. My +17 points on the verbal, netted me at a percentile ranking 10 percentile points below what the practice test told me. Basically, 30 points lower than I averaged on the practice tests and 60 points lower than I wanted to score on the actual test. Needless to say, I am more than disappointed by this book.

It will help to get you started. But don't trust that this is the level to be expected. You have to find harder problems!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Same as quantitative section in The Official Guide for GMAT Review, June 25, 2013
Was hoping for additional problems etc, but its the same material as The Official Guide for GMAT Review. No need to buy both

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much different from 1st Edition - 28 new hard questions, September 4, 2009
There are 44 new Problem Solving and 31 new Data Sufficiency Questions (a total of 75 new questions out of 300).

--- List of Changes:---
Data Sufficiency
- 13 new easy questions
- 8 new medium questions
- 9 new hard questions

The main issue with the first edition was low question difficulty. This edition addresses the issue slightly, but as you can see, not by much. One issue that was fixed is the total number of questions. The first edition claimed (just like this one) to have 300 questions, but only had 294 - how can you make that mistake in the Official Guide for Quantitative Review? The question split is 176 for PS and 124 for DS.

As to content, changes, it is interesting to see many of the tables and data-interpretation questions go and addition of sequence questions. Also, DS lost many of its arithmetic questions, which were replaced by Word Problems.

Overall - pretty much the same book - would have loved to see more new questions, but $12 for 28 new hard and 29 medium REAL questions is not bad. By the way, the first edition is on sale right now The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review for $6.78!

Here is the full list of new questions for reference:
PS: 1, 2, 7, 41, 56, 60, 61, 62, 64, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 78, 79, 80, 81, 83, 102, 103, 108, 112, 117, 131, 135, 142, 145, 146, 147, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 160, 162, 173

DS: 1, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 16, 21, 22, 24, 31, 33, 43, 48, 51, 66, 70, 73, 79, 82, 85, 96, 102, 104, 106, 107, 111, 116, 117, 122

Good Luck on your GMAT!
BB - GMAT 750 - Founder of GMAT Club

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time!, March 31, 2012
I studied this entire book, sat for the GMAT and did absolutely terrible. I don't think this book covered even a single question that the GMAT exam actually asked me. Going into the exam I felt prepared and thought as though I would do well on this portion of the test, nope, this review guide didn't prepare me at all for the type of quantitative questions that were asked.

2.0 out of 5 stars Examples are too easy, August 1, 2012
The examples written in this book are very easy compared to actual GMAT questions. If you are already scoring above a 40th percentile in the math section I don't think you need this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good practice - bad for learning, January 18, 2011
This book has questions similar to that of the actual GMAT. It is definitely good if you are looking to practice, however the book will not teach you anything. If you are rusty this might just be enough for you. But if you are unable to solve these problems on your own at first, I suggest you to look into other books, resources, etc, and then revert back to this item so that you can practice. Good luck...

3.0 out of 5 stars book, February 22, 2013
Well, I am rating this based on what I saw in the book. I actually never used this book. I felt the GMAT Premier was enough and concentrated on that book. The content in this is much the same and would be good if you felt you needed the extra practice. I just didn't feel I did after the extensive studying of the other. Although, the price was not bad, so this is not an indictment of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used with Manhattan Prep for 735, December 19, 2012
Use this as a good backup with Manhattan Prep books to get a high score. It will take a while (est. time; 6 months part-time) but it's the most comprehensive method to get ready for the GMAT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to start for non-math, non-Engg majors, October 14, 2012
Good book for people who are not Engineering or Math majors. Some wrong answers but overall good. Explanations could be simpler but a good starting book for those wishing to get decent scores.

The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review
The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review by Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC)
Out of stock