Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 8, 2008
My 10 y.o. son and I have been ripping through Mario Kart Wii and love it. I bought the game and this extra controller having high hopes. I must say that after a week of playing MKW with and without the Wii Wheel, far and away we both keep going back to the wiimote and nunchuk combo. I come home from work and the boy is playing and I ask him why he is not using the wheel. He replies that it works ok, but the wiimote works better. He is not known in this house for really giving things a good try and run something through its paces. So being the dad I am and that I spent the money on the extra one. We played each evening when I got home for work and every day he kept wanting to go back to the wiimote. I too broke down and stopped using the wheel. I am not sure why I do not like it just yet. Perhaps it is the poor ergonomics. maybe the familiar comfort of the mote and nunchuk combo, I am not sure. Maybe it is just the game and with another racing game it would be great. Regardless, be warry of it. Do not buy this extra wii wheel just because you got the game and both people want to play. Try out the wheel that comes with the game and see if you like it. If you do try the mote and nunchuk combo and see which you like best. Your mileage may vary.
1313 comments|269 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2008
The concept of a Wiimote wheel was just plain hilarious. And very easy to poke fun of. Why do you need a plastic wheel that's detached from anything? Are you going to drive with it at the top of your head? Then there's the fact that they went through 20-iterations or so to design the wheel. And then you can go on and on about how complicated is it to design a wheel. It's not like they needed to reinvent the wheel.

But then I actually used, and surprised surprised it was fantastic. It felt natural to use the wheel and the wiimote together. It's comfortable and the response was just seamless. It was especially useful at keeping me from over steering as I wont to do in previous mario kart game. So yes, the wheel is definitely worth it. I don't know how people with different hand sizes feel about the wheel, but it perfectly suited mine.
on May 4, 2008
With the release of Mario Kart Wii, this new Wii Remote holder is going to be a hot item, especially if you are planning on racing against others in said game on your Wii.

But lets face it, all it is, is a plastic holder that is shaped like a wheel that your remote snaps into. And thats all there is to this accessory. Its nothing more then a holder shaped like a wheel to house your remote to give you the feeling of using a steering wheel while you play a racing game. So realize that going into the purchase that its just that and nothing more.

At least though the price is right and reasonable for the most part. This is not must get though as all the games this will be for I'm sure will play just fine without it. But it will add a little extra something that the already gimic like remote provides for the Wii. This just takes that remote factor an extra step by giving the illusion and feel of a wireless steering wheel that you can hold anywhere and use to race on a screen far away.

The choice is really yours. If you want to have the feeling of playing a racing game on the Wii with a wheel in your hands, this will work quite well for that. If its not that big a deal to you and you are fine with either a classic controler or the wii remote and nunchuk, then this isn't that important a purchase to make. But I do think this adds something of a element to things that is worth the small one time investment it will be.

Again its just a personal choice. Its just a plastic mold, when push comes to shove. But I think its fun device either way that is a nice addition to the Wii family of accessories.
on June 14, 2009
I bought the wheel when I bought Mario Kart Wii (so I have 2 wheels). I can't imagine playing the game without them. They make the game more interactive and fun. There are 3 kids in my household who also use the wheels, no problems or complaints so far.

You can also find this exact wheel at Wal-Mart for about $10.
on December 3, 2012
When I received this item, I noticed that the plastic was a different tint of white, and it looks lighter/cheaper than the official wheel. The official wheel also has the Wii logo on the back, which this item didn't have. It works fine, but if they didn't lie about the official quality I would have given it 5 stars.
on January 17, 2016
I am a Mario Kart Wii Fanatic. I love Mario Kart Wii more than any other console game in existence. It has been my favorite console game for over five years. This Christmas my wife bought us a Wii and I bought us Mario Kart Wii with Wii Wheel. The Wii she bought for us had two remotes, so of course I needed another wheel. I purchased this item pre-owned from Amazon's Used Warehouse for $4.75. It arrived promptly. It wasn't very clean when I received it, but after a through cleaning with rubbing alcohol and some minor scrubbing, the wheel looks brand new! There isn't a mark on it, even on the glossy blue circle on the back. This was my first experience with a used item on Amazon, and I couldn't have been more pleased. Now on to the wheel. The wheel itself is a wonderful addition to Mario Kart Wii. I know that people say you can play without it, and some even prefer it, but I would never dream of playing without a Wii Wheel.

Reasons why I like it:
1) It provides a more immersive experience - It feels more like you are "driving."
2) It is easier to hold onto - The Wii controller by itself is pretty small, especially for a man. The wheel provides some extra surface area for my hands to wrap around, giving me more overall control.
3) The Wii remote fits perfectly - there are a lot of cheap, off-brand Wii Wheels, but only an official Nintendo Wii Remote provides the perfect fit for your remote.

I was extremely pleased with this product and would never be caught playing a racing game without it, especially Mario Kart Wii.
on January 21, 2010
The Official Nintendo Wii Wheel works exactly as you would expect it to, has a solid overall build quality and is a comfortable size for kids and adults alike. It's not flashy or especially inspiring--it's the workaday device that does what it sets out to do, and does it well. For driving games like Mario Kart, the overall playability of the game is superior with the Wheel, no doubt about it.

One critique--and the reason this isn't a five star rating.... The engineers at Nintendo did us all a huge favor by recognizing they needed to accommodate the Wii controller's safety strap--there is a pass through hole made especially for this purpose through the back of the Wheel. BUT, the loose end of the strap is too short to wear at that length, and really too long to tuck in neatly or clip on securely anywhere. So it just flops around while you play, which can be a little distracting. I suppose you could remove the strap from the controller every time, but that would be a huge pain.
on June 16, 2008
If you rarely play video games, the Wii Wheel will certainly make it easier for you to drive your vehicle in Mario Kart Wii without having to learn a new, abstract control scheme. The controller, however, responds very slowly this way and you'll have a hard time keeping up if you play against people who steer using an analog stick. The wheel is fun for a bit but running into walls and losing lots of races quickly becomes frustrating.
on February 1, 2016
I should have researched this a little more, but I thought the Wii Wheel was required for Mario Kart. I ordered 4 of these and they are good quality, the remotes fit snug and are easy to get in and out of. It's fun to use the steering wheel, but it is not required in order to play the games!
on May 25, 2016
This was a great buy combined with the Nintendo Wii console, and the Mario Kart game. as of right now it hasn't break or anything. I recommend anyone who is on the lookout for brand name accessories this Nintendo Wii wheel.