Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on August 2, 2012
I've purchased a previous edition of this book in paper and just bought the new edition for Kindle. The information is primarily the carb counts of basic foods, like an ounce of most breads is 1 carb exchange, how many cups or ounces of a certain fruit make 1 carb exchange. This is what I use at home on a daily basis in getting portion sizes correct. The paper edition is small enough to fit in a purse or shirt pocket and because it's so small it's more likely to be brought than a big book. We've previously purchased a bigger book that lists nutritional info for popular menu items at specific restaurants and it sits at home.

I would rate the paper version 5 stars, but subtracted 1 star on the Kindle edition I just bought due to formatting. Some of the tables are sideways in the book. With a paper book, you just turn it, but on my tablet when I turn it to view the page right side up, it rotates and remains sideways. Annoying, but I would have still bought it because I like this tiny book and can find what I'm looking for quickly.
11 comment72 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2006
This is exactly what my dietician wrote up for me to follow yet in a condensed, easy to follow, easy to tote reference. It outlines a basic plan for eating. For me, knowing the amount of calories per serving for each of the food groups really helped.

By following these healthful habits, I was able to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight (lost over 30 pounds in 8 weeks) while eating 1500 to 1800 calories without feeling hungry or deprived. Working out 6 weeks prior to following this plan (and prior to meeting with a dietician) without changing my diet brought no weight loss even though my fitness level increased.

This pocket guide isn't just for diabetics.
0Comment100 of 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2002
This is the pocket version of the American Diabetes Association Exchange Diet Plan. Although it is not comprehensive, it does give examples of enough foods in each category to be able to determine the exchanges for other foods which are not listed. Also contains a section on Combination foods and Fast foods.
0Comment73 of 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2012
This is a WONDERFUL tool for someone who is NEW to Managing Diabetes. Have bought and given to Friends and Relatives.
What I like best: Small (a soft cover Mini-book) so it fits in your "Pocket" or pocketbook so You can LIVE WITH IT!

When I was first diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes "Exchanges" was something I had never heard of.

I became acquainted with Exchanges and found that Choose Your Foods contains very useful and USEABLE information because basically EXCHANGES are just lists of foods broken down into categories, serving sizes and number of calories in the serving. It leads you gently into becoming a Label Reader when grocery shopping or ordering a Side Salad & choosing the right salad dressing instead of Fries at McDonalds.

Eating is Social, so you QUICKLY learn how to still enjoy Lunch OR Dinner with friends at any restaurant, but still maintain control of your Diabetes.

If you always have it with you.....you can use it.
Success in managing Diabetes is directly dependent on You and your Eating Choices so this little book will definitely be an important tool in your arsenal of weapons to Fight Diabetes and Win.
11 comment69 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2005
Packed with more information than some larger books. Small enough to carry with you. Very impressive. Would recommend.
0Comment35 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2007
I purchased this picket guide right after being diagnosed with Type 2 and it has been the best thing I could have done. Because of its size, I keep it with me all the time and constantly check it when trying to make food decisions. Don't know what I would do without it.
0Comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2007
This little booklet is great for those who are going to track diabetic exchanges, and it gives you a good idea of typical/appropriate portion sizes. But unless you're really going to track exchanges (I use a different method), skip it. No frills, but does the one job well.
on April 14, 2000
this is a handy reference to have with you when you are out. however, it is neither comprehensive nor exhaustive.
0Comment51 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2012
I wouldn't classify this as a book,but more of a pamphlet. I didn't read that this was only 72 pages, so I take some responsibility in the error. I was looking for a book that had different foods listed and the amount of exchanges. This book describes the exchange system and how it works. I received more information from the registered dietician that I'm seeing.
0Comment29 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2008
I have to say that I was a bit set back when I received this booklet,The Official Pocket Guide for Diabetics. I was expecting something a bit more helpful for someone who had just been diagnosed with Diabetes.
I suppose that it is ok, but would not recommend paying more than a couple of dollars for this product.
I wound up going to another bookstore and purchasing a much more concise and helpful book.
33 comments37 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse