4.0 out of 5 stars OTCWL2014
Another "Scrabble official word list" paperback book publication called "The Official Tournament and Club Word List (2014 Edition) (OTCWL2014)" is available at Official Tournament and Club Word List - 2014 Edition
Includes words of 2 to 15 letters, but no definitions. And is only available via membership in North American SCRABBLE Players Association.
Note: The...
Published 6 months ago by R. Vail

2.0 out of 5 stars Word list for the easily offended
This edition is intended for use in school and recreational play and lacks tens of thousands of words that can be officially played in tournament and club play. If you're ok with that then this book may be fine for you.

Published 6 months ago by G. McFatridge

2.0 out of 5 stars Word list for the easily offended, August 21, 2014

Buyers should be aware that this book is just a "sanitized" (and thus shortened) version of the official tournament play words list. You will not find in this book many of the expletives and slang that everyone knows (and of course many that they don't know :) ).

This is not a dictionary/word list for a serious Scrabble player. This is instead a book to be used by folks that like to play word games such as Scrabble but are easily offended by the mere existence of some words in our language that they may find offensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars OTCWL2014, August 19, 2014
R. Vail (Surprise, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
Note: The older 2005 edition is listed for sale here: National Scrabble Association Official Tournament and Club Word List

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm having fun discovering all the new words that are now possible, August 17, 2014
Anne S. Headley (University Park, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Fifth Edition) (Paperback)
This new dictionary will change your scrabble playing. I'm having fun discovering all the new words that are now possible. I do miss those handy little lists of two-letter words and various other aids that the larger dictionaries contained.

5.0 out of 5 stars (It's fun just to flip through it, September 9, 2014
If you're a avid Scrabble player, you definitely need this book! There are over 5,000 new words. (It's fun just to flip through it.) It also has new words that are now part of our vocabulary, It also has a short addenda listing Q words where Q is not followed by U, 2-7 letter words without AEIOU vowels, and 2-6 letter words with J,Q,X, or Z.

The book I read is paperback and 728 pages + the addenda. It's really a big help if you are a serious player.

I recommend highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 5 stars if I knew I could win more., August 14, 2014
We have two earlier editions that were about to fall apart waiting for these. It is very noticeable that there are quite a few new words in these. So start studying so you can stay competitive. Or just cheat and look at these books, might be easier to learn that way.

2.0 out of 5 stars I am disappointed; it is not user friendly, August 22, 2014
ELIZ75LEI "Marilyn Apau" (PEMBROKE PINES, FL, US) - See all my reviews
The print is so small that I have to use a magnifing glass even with my glasses on. Also, it is thick & narrow, so it is hard to use. I am disappointed; it is not user friendly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems? Don't even get me started!, October 28, 2014
As my username may imply, I take the game seriously. I've been playing in rated tournaments and sanctioned clubs since the 70's and have maintained an "expert" rating throughout. Therefore my opinion, shared by just about every other expert out there, carries more weight than those of the casual enthusiasts reviewing this "dictionary".

Like most of the Scrabble world, I had very high hopes for this long overdue update. Alas, it has turned out to be extremely disappointing. One noted club director called it "a clusterf..." and I have to agree.

The problems and issues with the OSPD5 (as well as the OWL3, the club and tournament version containing words that have been "expurgated" from OSPD) have been well-documented for the past two months in numerous articles, blogs, and even on Colbert's TV show. So I won't bother reiterating them all...just do the research on your own using any online search engine. A good starting point is to read fellow expert Dan Pratt's review in these pages. Keep in mind, his review was written very early on, so it barely scratches the surface!

My advice is to wait for the inevitable second-printing which will hopefully correct many of the errors of commission and omission.. Meanwhile, you can access the MW Online site and get all of these words for free...as well as many additional acceptable words that should have been added to the updated OSPD, but for some reason weren't included.

UPDATE: Due to popular request, I'm adding the links to sites mentioned in my review. The first link leads you to the MW page devoted to the OSPD 5 dictionary. The second link is a review of OSPD 5 that also includes footage from the Colbert TV show segment I referenced above.

5.0 out of 5 stars THINK YOU'VE LEARNED ALL THE SCRABBLE WORDS? THINK AGAIN!, August 31, 2014
Too many new words are messing up the language and just when I thought it was safe to go into higher competition! The book is what it says it is and I'm glad to have it in case of disputes with my spouse over my sometimes imaginative spelling. I am not unfamiliar with the book -- have used the prior edition for some time and it is the final authority here (in Scrabble, that is). Every Scrabble player needs the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary, whether or not it works in their favor.

1.0 out of 5 stars For example the dictionary is full of very obscure words like the names of monetary units of 3d world countries ..., January 22, 2015
I find this dictionary very frustrating to use as I play a game of Scrabble. For example the dictionary is full of very obscure words like the names of monetary units of 3d world countries (aren't these foreign words after all?), but lacks such words as "axiomatic" which was disallowed in a game where "atic" was added to already played "axiom".
Finally this dictionary is tied to the Kindle Scrabble app and therefore makes games less than fun unless you are into playing "zaire" as a fair word, this being the monetary unit of Zaire.
As I said very frustrating and not too much fun for a casual Scrabble player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Word Play, August 15, 2014
Plenty of words and legible; what more can one ask. Oh, I use it for Jumble !

The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Fifth Edition)
The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Fifth Edition) by Merriam-Webster (Paperback - August 6, 2014)
$8.50 $6.16