5.0 out of 5 stars Link's Crossbow Training is Great; Zapper Ergonomics are OK!
The combination of the Zapper and Link's Crossbow Training is well worth the $20 I paid. The Zapper (which is only a plastic shell for the Wiimote and the Nunchuck) is very sturdy and amazingly well-conceived. The instructions are quite clear on how to insert the Wiimote and the Nunchuck into the Zapper.

Of course the ergonomics of the Zapper are odd, with the...
Published on November 20, 2007 by IMO666

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Game included but the Zapper is not too confortable
Published on December 22, 2007 by MA

5.0 out of 5 stars Link's Crossbow Training is Great; Zapper Ergonomics are OK!, November 20, 2007
IMO666 (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Official Wii Zapper with Link's Crossbow Training (Video Game)

Of course the ergonomics of the Zapper are odd, with the trigger (the Wiimote B button) being forward vs to the rear like a rifle or shotgun trigger. However, it's a compromise that Nintendo decided it had to make based on its tests on prototypes. That, and the fact that the infrared component of the Wiimote must be to the front.

The bundled game, "Link's Crossbow Training" is multifaceted and exactly what's needed to give the player practice using the Zapper. AND, the game is a lot of fun all by itself.

The bottom line on this is that the combo of the Zapper plus the game Link's Crossbow Training is a must-have (at least for me) and worth the price. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Future Collector Item, November 23, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was skeptical when i saw the box. "We don't need to turn the wii-motes into a gun. How good can the pack-in be?" But then I had second thoughts and bought it. We've been playing it all night. I was a Duck Hunt fan and the rail shooting levels are fantastic - like the first time you played Mrs. PacMan after being a PacMan fan but so much better. There's a mix of scrolling, rail and 1st person shooting levels set in the Twilight Princess world that can be played in order or on their own. If you get a Wii for the holidays, pick this up as well. I can tell there's no point in even taking the wii-mote out of the zapper. The family will be playing this just about everyday, despite our having about a dozen other Wii titles. My 3 year old was delighted when she beat my high score. In my defense it would have been higher but I hit a live chicken. My 8 year old informed me "Mom! You can't shoot LIVE things!!!" Who knew? It was so much fun blasting the fruit balloons.... and the skeletons.... I'd defend my record, but my husband and brother have been playing for the last four hours and I can't get near it. Well worth the $20 - if they'd sold the game alone I would have paid more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Link's Crossbow training will make you a Zapper convert, November 28, 2007
P. Webb "Trajedi" (Bozeman, MT United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is what I expected it to be, a non essential peripheral that only adds to the feeling of shooting (this gun controls excellently off the hip), but Nintendo has included a first class Zelda style shooting game that is just as fun as any light gun game I have ever played as well. The 27 levels will go by fast and if you combo your shots you should be medalling fairly quickly which means that it is technically only about an hour and 1/2 of gameplay till the end, but there are boss battles and free roaming sections on the levels that make it feel like more than some software designed to get gamers used to the Zapper and its mechanics. The instructions are clear and should be read to put it together properly as the cord just fits into the handle, the nunchuck cord does wrap around the handle at the top which will annoy those with BIG hands. I tried it out with COD 3 and RES EV4 and if you can get your index finger on the A button and shoot with your middle finger both are playable but the vehicle/ combat levels in COD3 make it essentially unplayable with this setup same goes for Metroid 3. I can't wait to get my hands on copies of MEDAL OF HONOR HEROES 2-GHOST SQUAD-UMBRELLA CHRONICLES to get some shooting action in that is specifically designed for the zapper, until then I will keep shooting up the landscape in Links terrific if somewhat short pack in game and dream about a COD4 zapper adaptation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Game included but the Zapper is not too confortable, December 22, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I been playing with the Zapper for a few days (Umbrella and Link's Crossbow) and the first thing I noticed is that the right hand goes in front and the left hand in the back of the Zapper. For most of us that are right handed this can be awkward as with any type of gun/shotgun peripheral I feel compelled to have my right hand in the back and the left hand in front (If you don't believe me, pretend that you are holding a shotgun and see where your arms end up). I'm no expert but this just seems to feel more natural. I found the only decent way to play with the Zapper is to use the nunchuck detached from the Zapper (held with your left hand) leaving a bulky unused piece of plastic hitting your right forearm. This makes me wonder if I should have bought just a plain wii gun.

I found that the Link game was a lot fun and that's why I gave the Zapper a higher rating. The Zapper alone would have probably gotten 2 stars at most. If you don't care for Link Crossbow training, you might want to try other alternatives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please read this first!, November 29, 2007
B. Inoue "MiyagiSenpai" (Renton, WA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Okay so obviously some people do NOT know how to use the Wii Zapper nor do they know WHY you should buy the Zapper.

First and foremost the Zapper is solidly built with only one part of it that seems fragile (the connector that holds the cord down in the back) however all fears are put to rest once you actually find out it's supposed to come off and on easily so you can switch up.

When playing with the Zapper there are actually 2 positions to play from. One is with the nunchuck on the back (as in Link's Crossbow training) or the nunchuck goes in the other hand (as in the case with Umbrella Chronicles). I recommend that you brace this device against your shoulder for more stable shooting when the nunchuck is in the other hand. Children might also like this position better because it won't feel so heavy.

IMPORTANT:
When playing games that can use the wii zapper you have to remember... turn the control options to Zapper. If you don't do that in Umbrella chronicles your gameplay goes downhill fast. Instead of using the inaccessible "A" button on top, the highly accessible "Z" button on the nunchuk becomes the grenade, knife, and pickup button. If you DO NOT change the options to the right setting, you will be faced with some bad situations in this and many other games.

That being said, Nintendo has had some VERY GOOD things come of their accessories. Rumble pack, the original light gun, and the Wiimote itself. However, there are a few things we'd rather not mention such as the Virtual Boy, the stacking robot (Just because it wasn't popular), and the overhyped powerglove which made it's way into coolness due to its appearance on The Wizard. If you ask me, for every bad accessory nintendo makes, there are a hundred other companies making worse ones for the same purpose. I've owned a lot of them.

Get this Zapper if you want to have better control over your shooting games. The Zelda game that comes with it should be worth at least most of the $20 you spend on it. In addition, think of it as a future investment. This doesn't seem like a peripheral that Nintendo will just leave out in the rain after it has two games under its belt at launch. Who know? Nintendo just might make the next big first person shooter.

I bought it and have no problems with it. It's a simple piece of plastic that does its job and actually makes Umbrella Chronicles more fun to play. Especially as Hunk. Be weary of copycats because so far they haven't made one as good as the official. However, I'm sure that will change in the future. If they manage to come out with a handgun-like zapper then I'd be game for it. It would definitely make the RE series a little more authentic in its experience.

The only knock on the device is this.
If you're expecting a gun like the one that comes with Time Crisis for PS3 then you're dreaming. That is the only reason why it's not 5 star in my book. If Nintendo wanted to invest into the innovation they could make a pretty pricey arcade style Guncon knockoff that has a kickback function whenever you press the trigger. However, that will probably never happen but if it did, I'd pay $50 for it.

All in all, it's a nice little innovation with a solid game attached to it. Configure your options on your game right and you will be rewarded. Buy it if you're into shooting games or just want to play as Link for some post Twilight Princess fun. Don't get it if you're not into shooting games and it can't hurt to get it if you're curious because it really doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price!!, November 26, 2007
A. Lee (Oakland, California) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I got this for $19.99 during the amazon pre-order time period. It is now $24.99 and not even in stock, I'm guessing because EVERYONE and their mothers have been ordering it for themselves and for X-mas gifts. This would be a perfect gift for someone with a Wii....or for yourself!

Anyways, the Wii Zapper is easy to set up with the nunchuck and remote. It goes well with the game, Link's Crossbow Training, and is neither too difficult nor too easy, so that people of all ages can play. I like how there are additional levels to "unlock" so you know there will be more stages, environments, and enemies to destroy.

For the price plus free shipping it beats getting this at the store for more $$ and the game itself is worth the price. The Zapper is plastic and probably really cheap to produce, so I consider the game a great buy at $19.99. I wish it came in the plastic media case like the other games because the paper envelope will probably be messed up in no time.

**UPDATE**
I have found a Con. I have the Nyko battery charger to charge the remotes and realized that with the rubber battery backing, the Wii remote becomes too thick to slide and lock into the zapper apparatus!! Thus, I have to dig out my AA batteries to use with the zapper while my remaining remotes have the Nyko rechargeable battery with the rubber backing.

My Wii games (in order from my most favorite to my least favorite):
Wii Sports
Wii Carnival and Link's CrossBow Training (tied)
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Wii Play
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Cooking Mama
Brunswick Bowling

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, lack of sight-adjustment. Not for FPS., November 28, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased the Wii Zapper after seeing that the new James Bond 007: GoldenEye game supported its use. Now, I'm not writing a review about the included game "Link's Crossbow Training", but rather on the design and function of the Wii Zapper when used with the Goldeneye 007 game. My hopes were that combining the Zapper with a first person shooter like Goldeneye would give me an arcade shooter-like experience. I was quite disappointed with the results.

Basically, there are three glaring flaws: 1. Location of the trigger. Ideally, the trigger should be located on the back handle, where a right-eyed person would use their right index finger when firing. My initial thoughts were that this wouldn't be an issue but upon playing the game, I realized that it just felt awkward and combined with the second flaw, made for a poor experience. 2. Position of the WiiMote. Mainly, the buttons are facing upward so that they are completely unreachable without taking your left hand off the trigger handle. When playing any FPS, it's imperative that you always have a finger on the trigger, so this factor alone made playing Goldeneye pretty much impossible, as you are constantly required to remove your hand to press action buttons, etc. And finally, the tipping point was number 3. Lack of a hardware sight-to-cursor adjustment. This is technically more of a flaw with the Wii hardware itself and not really the fault of the the Zapper itself. Ideally, the Wii would have the option to adjust the exact point of the cursor when pointing the Zapper at the screen so you could look down the barrel of the Zapper and the cursor would be at the end. When I held my eye up to the Zapper, the cursor was off to the left and down, so that it wasn't even visible, basically making the FPS arcade style play impossible. (Note: there is a sight-to-cursor adjustment function for the Link's Crossbow Training game, but this was only slightly helpful and still was not able to put the cursor where it should have been. Also, it only worked for the game you were playing, and the cursor reset to its normal position upon returning to the home screen.)

Maybe I was asking too much from the Zapper, and maybe there is a better piece of hardware out there for FPS games using the WiiMote, but this was not what I was looking for. I'm not normally one to write reviews but after reading other reviews for this product, I just had to share how disappointed I was with the Zapper. In my opinion, it has absolutely no use in FPS games.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price how can you go wrong?, November 20, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The bottom line is fun. The Wiizapper delivers on this and then some. Boxed with Link's Cross Bow there is no doubt you will get hours of entertainment out of the Zapper and the game it comes with. Even if you never buy another game for it Link's Crossbow is extremely entertaining and has a lot of replay value considering you are going to pay no more then $25.00 for it. If you were lucky enough to pick this up for $19.99 then even better.

The game play is simple enough. Point and shoot. The controls and aim work flawless as one might expect using the Zapper with the Wiimote firmly in place. If you enjoy rail shooters or were a fan of the game duck hunt from the golden age you will feel right home with both the Zapper and Link's Crossbow.

A very nice addition to the Wii library. Worth the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons of the Zapper..., December 2, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I had been looking forward to getting this since i saw it at the Nintendo conference and it was everything i was hopeing for. Was even better when i found it comes with a game. Links Crossbow.

Game: I enjoy the game, a lot people are saying they don't. It has multiple "rounds" where you do 3 shooting sessions. There are about 8 rounds i believe and some of the sessions include shooting targets that are moving down a waterfall, targets being carried and also enemy targets. Some sessions involve the joystick so you can move around while also looking around with the Zapper. That was a bit more confusing to me at first but after the first few tries it got easier.

Pros of the Game:
Multiple Levels and never doing anything the same
Incorperate towns from the actual Zelda Game
You can shoot the pots and barrels for extra points

Cons of the Game:
I can't actually think of any. You can do multiple player mode, and single. There are tons of different games to go through. I would like to be able to just pick 1 session sometimes, but you have to do all 3 in each round. You win medals which opens up the following round.

Zapper: I love this. I love that it comes with a game so even if you haven't found your shooting game just yet (MOH2 or Resident Evil are about the only ones right now) you can still shoot things and practice. Also test out your skills.

Pros:
Light weight and easy to put wiimote and nunchuck in
Helps with aim
Makes the game more realistic
All around fun extra to have

Cons:
There was a con to the zapper and it wasn't the fact that the trigger is NOT spring loaded. Though that would be cool, i find that it doesn't get stuck down so i can still fire very fast.

The con i found is merely because i now have the rechargeable battery station and the new back cover they give you will not allow you to put the Wiimote in the top portion of the Zapper with that back on. You also can not leave the battery pack in and put the old cover back on. So if you just feel like you don't have the 30 seconds to trade them out i'd take this into consideration. You'd have to keep trading back and forth if you wish to keep using the battery charge station and the zapper.

Another con i have come across recently is the backing that covers up the wrapped up nunchuck cord seems flimsy, sometimes it's just hard to get on and feels cheapy. The rest of the gun feels pretty solid to me, especially after you put the controls in place.

Over all i gave this 4 stars because i would have liked to see it adapt to the battery charge station, but once again the station is not nintendo brand so they do not make their extras mold to "off brand" items. Also a spring loaded trigger would have been cool, but not needed.

It's a fun extra to have and the game is fun too. I would definetly say get this when you can find it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost demands that you fork over another $60, December 31, 2007
Shawn M. Winnie (East Lansing, MI USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Snapping in the Wiimote & nunchuk is sufficiently tedious that I would want to buy a dedicated Wiimote and nunchuk if I were planning to make heavy use of the zapper. (The cover that snaps on to the bottom of the nunchuk looks good for about ten in/out cycles before it gives up the ghost.)

Size is a bit small for my medium-sized adult male hands but just right for my six-year old.

Incompatible with the Nyko rechargeable battery pack, as the Nyko's thicker grippy back cover won't let you lock the Wiimote into the zapper.

Saving grace is Link's Crossbow Pack-in game, which is worth the price of the package.

Official Wii Zapper with Link's Crossbow Training