Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on December 8, 2009
Recently ordered and received "The Official World Series Film Collection," from Amazon.com for $90 and I must say WOW!

I am a baseball lifer and enjoy traveling down to watch the Pirates play and when I saw this product advertised on MLB Network I thought there was no way this was affordable. Then I pop up here and its $90. So I figured the set got to be great pick up so I picked it up.

Let me continue to say WOW!

The presentation of this box set is a coffee table format. It is really well made and its something that my friends and family over the past few days have marveled over. The foreward has been written by Bob Costas who anyone knows loves the game. Followed in the Coffee Table box is a pictorial essay of the biggest moments in Series history dating from the first WS between Pittsburgh and Boston in 1903 to the Phillies in 2008. Woven in this "scrap book" is the DVDs. One improvement is they put the discs in pockets on top of the pages and its SO much easier to access the discs, in the past box sets released in this format have put discs in the middle of the page in tight spots where you can easily scratch the discs. Not so here.

Overall I give MLB and A&E mad props for this excellent presentation of this box set.

The contents of this box set is self explanatory you have the World Series FILM of every WS from 1943-2008. I emphasize FILM because you will get someone who will buy this THINKING they will get FULL games. These are not full games. These are 30-45 minute films highlighting each World Series from 1943-2008. I find it a treat to watch players such as Mickey Mantle, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Carlton Fisk, George Brett, Jack Morris, etc in this set.

Now the quality of the DVDs are excellent and there are no bonus features and really who cares about bonus features when you have nearly 50 hours of baseball on DVD. This set gives the baseball diehard an opportunity to relive the greatest moments on baseball's grandest stage. I rate these on par with the NFL Films Super Bowl Collection as the finest in Sports DVDs because of the great quality.

I watched the 1979 World Series Film between my Buccos and the Baltimore Orioles and watching the build-up of the Series and watching the big plays and big moments are excellent. I am really looking forward to dive into other Series films.

Bottomline: if you miss the opportunity to get this set for $90...you are missing a golden opportunity. I find this set to be priceless for the baseball fan. If you are looking for a holiday gift or a birthday gift for the baseball fan I would almost guarantee you will hit one out of the park with this
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2010
I just got this set and began watching some of the oldest films, which I enjoyed. Since I had the Yankee set of 13 films I skipped those, but just to make sure it was OK I popped in the 1949-1953 disk. While watching the 1953 film I decided to watch Mantle's grand slam. To my surprise, they showed the bases being loaded, showed Russ Meyer come to the mound and then suddenly went to the next inning. I fast forwarded to the end and lo and behold they didn't show Billy Martin's game 6 game and series winning hit, just jumped to the end of the film wrapup.

So I got out my Yankee set and began comparing timings series by series. Well, folks, in order to cram as many as 6 films on a disk A&E, the producer of both sets, heavily edited many of the films. Remember, these are only the ones I can verify, the Yankee victories.

1943 is missing 21 seconds.
1947 has no difference.
1949 is missing 11 seconds.
1950 is missing over 9 minutes.
1951 has no difference.
1952 is missing 21 seconds.
1953 is missing 1 1/2 minutes.
1956 has no difference.
1958 is missing 1/2 minute.
1961 is missing 14 minutes.
1962 is missing almost 16 minutes.

From 1977 on there seems to be nothing missing. But it's obvious that somebody at A&E made some very arbitrary decisions about what was "interesting" and what wasn't. I can only assume that other films from the 40's through the 60's were similarly chopped. I'm not very happy about this product being advertised as the definitive collection when so much footage is gone. The book is nice, and it's still valuable to have all of the available Series is one place to the extent they're there. But I'm not as pleased as I should be.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2009
Over the past few years, A&E has released numerous collections of World Series films that have left a few of them out. Most notably, 1955, 1957, 1960, 1971, 1979 and 1995 were never rereleased on DVD. They are finally out in this Book/DVD combo. The book itself, while very short, is a great coffee table book. The 20 discs sit comfortably inside the book. Another huge improvement, especially for those that had the previous World Series film DVDs is that all of the films themselves have chapters so it is easy to navigate between the different games. These are all of the films that were originally released immediately after each World Series, so the 1946 film is in black and white with very little graphics and no interviews while the 2008 film is much longer with interviews, extensive highlights, etc. I would highly recommend this set, even though it is rather pricey.
on February 21, 2013
This collection would be perfect for a fan that has seen many of these World Series games in their entirety. This product is more of a fast forward snapshot through each series only showing the highlights from each game. Its nearly impossible to get any context from any of the tv broadcasters of how each team got there, or how all the less interesting at-bats set each highlight reel up. I wanted something that actually made me feel like I was there, to watch the game as any normal fan would have at that time. In hindsight I would have passed up on this and just purchased individual World Series dvd sets that capture every moment as it happened on the field. Overall this is still a great set of dvds to get an extreme birds-eye view of how all the World Series played out, just not really what I was looking for.
on December 10, 2009
I just received my copy of The Official Major League Baseball World Series Film Collection in the mail. I obviously haven't watched them all yet but all I can say is "Wow!". This is the set of all of the MLB produced World Series highlight videos from 1943 through 2008. These videos are something to be treasured, especially the older films. And if the 20 DVD set was not enough it comes beautifully packaged in a hardcover book featuring photographs of iconic World Series moments. This set is a must own for any baseball fan. I don't know how long Amazon will keep the price at $90 but for my money it is one of the best bargains I have ever encountered.
on June 10, 2013
All the problems that one of the other reviewers had with this package regarding missing footage are definitely present (no coverage of the Mantle grand slam or the series winning hit by Billy Martin in 1953?), but there are problems with some of the films from the 1970s and probably later.

For instance, for some unexplained reason, the 1966 and 1970 World Series films are in letterbox format with the top and bottom of the screen blacked out, there are problems with the sound quality of numerous World Series films, and even the ending music from the 1979 World Series film has been switched out from the original to "We Are Family". If you want to get those World Series films the way they were originally intended to be seen, I'd suggest getting the Baltimore Orioles WS DVD set for the 1966 and '70 World Series (which also includes the '83 Series), or the old VHS tapes from when these films were first re-released from Blockbuster in the early 1990s for those World Series prior to 1993. There are likely other problems as well with films/videos I haven't seen in this package, but those are notable problems from just the ones I've seen.

For what's supposed to be a digital quality package of the World Series, some of the films are lacking greatly in video and sound quality. The sound qualify for the 1966, '72, '79, and '83 WS films left a lot to be desired, for instance, and those are among just those I've seen. There may be similar problems with other WS films in this package.

However, I do give it 3 out of 5 because every World Series from 1943, when MLB first started putting out a WS highlight film, through 2008 are a part of this package, and there certainly is nothing wrong with acquiring such a great and thorough history of a sporting event, but if you're looking at this package for just a few select years, I'd recommend getting the individual years, which you can get through the team collections that were released or the Blockbuster VHS tapes from 20 years ago. But if not for the vast amount of content, I'd give it no more than a 2 on a scale of 1-5.
on January 5, 2012
Because I love the World Series so much and bemoan each autumn when it's over, I was given this impressively high quality set as a Christmas gift by my husband. That definitely qualifies him as the true Santa! We were both highly impressed with the quality of this collection. The DVD's are encased in very heavy cardstock pages with full-color photos. Each series is the official MLB World Series record. For example, the 1988 series we watched this week is identical to the old VHS version I purchased years ago.

It is thrilling to watch all the great moments captured on film of the exploits of legendary players from many years. It is like sitting down with good friends to relive some wonderful memories vicariously with them via our HD big screen.

The collection comes in a high-quality, very durable book binding format with additional heavy cardstock pages of photos and baseball history from 1903 onward. And this exceptional book is enclosed in an equally strong "slide-in box" covered in the same material as the book. It truly is an heirloom record to be viewed, enjoyed, and passed on to younger generations as the years go by.

The quality of the video images is obviously only as good as the technical equipment available at the time each World Series event was filmed. That means the motion film record starts in 1943 and is in black and white. As the technology improved, the actual footage is more clear and changes to color, then to high definition.

These films also capture other aspects of Americana. For example, the initial series of this DVD set, filmed in 1943, shows the crowd in the stadium with men in their vested suits, ties, and hats and women in their suits and high heels. The commentary includes several reminders and wishes for the American armed services personnel fighting both in Europe and in the Pacific in World War II.

No more MLB-World-Series-fall-withdrawal-pains for me any longer; I look forward to viewing this set all year long.

For the baseball lover in your life, I definitely recommend purchasing this item as a gift (even for yourself).
on January 27, 2014
This is great history and great old video. But the collection is still OLD film, sometimes hard to see. Good baseball history and the men that made the game great.
on May 7, 2010
I purchased the Official World Series collection for my 90 year old father who has been a St. Louis Candinal fan for most of his life. It has a nice presentation with photos on the DVD protectors. He enjoys looking at many of the older black and white movies and remembering players of the past. I would highly recommend this as a gift for any serious baseball fan.
on December 15, 2010
I feel I should write an essay on this item but why bore anyone reading this. If you are reading this review you are probably like me- a baseball nut or are shopping for a baseball nut that you know.

I bought 3 of these on amazon and while I bought 2 as gifts, I could not resist checking the third out for myself. First off, the item is selling for nearly 1/3 of its original asking price at 90.00 (consider this- The 2010 SF WS video retails for 18.00 or more). There is over 50 hours of footage and background tracking every World Series from 1943 to 2008 (67 years). This is just simply an incredible value for your buck. Additionally the videos come in a coffee table styled book with the DVDs inserted at various points. All of the magical moments are here. No matter in what era you lived it's all represented here.

The book is made of quality paper stock and covers various years of interest with pictures and memories. It lists results from every World Series including those not represented here. There is something special about this set. It's just so much history crammed into one amazingly compact set. A set that would sit proudly at the top of any baseball fans wishlist.

I put in the first DVD and that may be the best way to summarize how special this really is. In 1943 many players were serving in WWII and there is footage of Babe Ruth at the very beginning thanking the likes of Ted Williams for serving along with some advertisements from the time that really set the mood. As the first 6 years (43-49) play you witness The splendid splinter completely take over the 1945 all star game pounding out 2 home runs in a route. You see a young Stan Musual bolstering the St. Louis Cardinals when they owned baseball. The Brooklyn - New York series was a strong highlight. Watching a young and relatively unknown Jackie Robinson on the basepaths antagonizing pitchers or Dimagio belting a homer are truly sights to behold. Connie Mack, in attendance... So much more...

As far as production value.. The early years are spotty at best. The footage is here but in an age of HD and 3D it's a far cry in quality. But that's the BIGGEST reason to watch. This is baseball in it's most pure form. Before steroids made us question our heroes, before the sport grew to forget its fans. Even then millions filled stadiums across our country. I could go on and on. The Big Red Machine, The Gibson Walk- off, Mays, Mantle, etc... It's all here and it's done in a truly intelligent way.

In short.. whether you are shopping for your Dad, your brother, your son... If they watch highlights of all the plays on Sportscenter or collect the cards of their heroes this set will likely make a grown man cry re-living those moments that made October a special time. A time when we could cheer those heroes to the pinnacle of there sport.

I can not say enough how much I highly reccomend this to any baseball fan. Even if they don't like the history but favor a particular team or two, The footage here is priceless and is the best I've ever seen in one set for such a ridiculous low price. An incredible value and a collection I will watch again and again. BUY IT!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...