5.0 out of 5 stars Great family-friendly activities to engage young minds
Published on June 20, 2011 by Z Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars Kids Time Away From Screen Time
Decent collection of non-computer, non-gadget activities for children which I (ironically) read on my Kindle. While there are a few building and craft activities, the book's emphasis is on word games. Most of the activities are too advanced for my three-year-old, but I will certainly come back to this book for ideas as she gets older.
Published on May 19, 2012 by Jeremy W. Yoder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family-friendly activities to engage young minds, June 20, 2011
As parents of an active six-year-old child, my husband and I decided early on that we would focus on engaging her in interesting outdoor and indoor activities without relying too much on gadgets (though we do use computers and the iPad sparingly, especially as teaching tools). I received this book in exchange for an honest review and I have to say that I loved many of the activities listed in here. The format itself is simple - all the activities are given eye-catching, interesting titles and listed in alphabetical order. Certain activities require adult supervision and are categorized as such while others involving small parts are also categorized as such for parents' reference.

The 101 activities listed in this handy little book can be carried out at home, in the kitchen, on the road, or just about anywhere. Each activity lists the items required and a detailed description as to how to carry it out. I have tried out many of the activities in this book and my child loves them all. She tried Coffee Filter Painting, which is a simple yet fun activity that kept her engaged (especially after I let her use edging scissors to create fun shapes out of her paintings); the Make-Before-You-Go-Swiss Army Notebook was an immense hit during our recent weekend trip on the road and as a budding fossil hunter, she loved being able to keep some of her treasures and notes (yes, she writes her observations down!) in one cute binder; soundalikes (beginning with teaching her what homonyms are and then having fun trying to outdo each other in coming up with lists of homonyms); and many more.

Gadgets may be here to stay, but I also feel it is important for some sort of balance in a child's life so as not to develop an over-dependence on these gadgets. Plus, the activities listed in this book can help foster bonds between siblings, parents and child/ren, and between children. A win-win for everyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Unique Ideas, July 26, 2011
What a great book for fun activities to do with your kids!! I definitely want my little monkey to know how to be "unplugged" and have fun doing it! This book has several great ideas that are at no cost to you, all you need is your time and some imagination! Most of the entries are very unique and creative. Others are things/activities that I think most kids and adults grew up doing(ie: Bistro Spy, Gimme Shelter, etc)! I personally really enjoy books like this because in the moment you can't think of things to do and this can be your go to guide!! I would recommend this book to others.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book for review purposes only through the Family Review Network. I was not compensated to write a positive or favorable review. This is Keeping Up With The Rheinlander's personal opinion. This giveaway is sponsored by Keeping Up With The Rheinlander's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Fun Ideas Everyone Will Enjoy, October 27, 2011
"If you're awake, you're plugged in, literally or via wireless waves."

The problem with our modern society is that we are all glued to the Internet in some way. We have trouble stepping away from the computer screen, cell phone or iPad. The list goes on and on. "101 Offline Activities" is really needed because it allows us to have some good old-fashioned fun. Kids will enjoy making their own newspaper, painting, building a cabin with couch cushions and pillows or going on an indoor treasure hunt. What I really liked was the idea about making mileage bags. You make up bags of fun things or snacks and give them to your children as you travel to any destination. I wish my parents had found a book like this when I was a kid traveling through America. The only activity I wouldn't suggest you do is the Witches' Brew only because why teach children to waste food ingredients? The idea is to combine as many kitchen ingredients as possible. So besides that I think this book has tons of good ideas. Plus, it won't take a lot of money to buy supplies. Most of the items needed can be found in your home right now. To fun!

~The Rebecca Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Kids Time Away From Screen Time, May 19, 2012
This review is from: 101 Offline Activities You Can Do With Your Child (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars never read it, March 13, 2014
sometimes my wife downloads these books and never takes the time to even start reading them. I have the habit of reading half then stopping so cant say much

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, February 9, 2014
This book is wonderful! It should be given to all parents because nowadays we need more ways to get our kids away from screen time! Great book and well written!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, January 4, 2013
Good info. Easy read. Nothing to rave about but as a free kindle download, I enjoyed it. Would recommend to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gramma camp is coming, May 26, 2012
I have a Gramma camp each year for my grand kids and this book has several good ideas to help keep them busy . I look forward to seeing how much they enjoy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alot of great ideas!, March 24, 2012
Diane Pfeiffer (ALGONQUIN, IL, US) - See all my reviews
Winter certainly can last what seems like an eternity. This book gives many ideas for childrens activities. The instructions are easily followed with items most of us have around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, With Great Ideas, July 5, 2011
This book is just in time for summer when there is free time to explore, learn, have fun imagining and creating, and just being outdoors. So turn off the TV, video games, etc. and use this book for great parent /child interactive play.

The 101 activities range from inside activities, outside activities, on the road fun, creating games, using your imagination, acting out parts, word games and more.

Here is one easy activity: Take a muffin tin. You can use pennies , beans or dry macaroni to toss into the muffin tin spaces. Keep score as to how many land in the tin. Each child has a turn. you can do this several times. You could change it a little by putting a slip of paper with a number in each "cup" and then counting up the score after tossing the pennies or beans.

An art activity for all ages uses coffee filters and water color paints. Have the children use brushes and water color paints to paint designs on coffee filters. Allow the filters to dry and cut into shapes. You can hang them on a window to see a rainbow of colors or paste them on paper in a pleasing design.

Play career charades: Write the names of occupations on slips of paper. Put the papers in a bag or bowl and each child selects one of the papers, reads silently the occupation and acts out the way this person would perform on their job. You can ask questions of the "actor" such as: Do you work outside? Do you wear a uniform? etc. Put a time limit on the guessing. At the end of the time limit or the correct guess, switch roles.

These are only three of the 101 activities in this little book. I am sure you and your family will enjoy hours of joy choosing and involving the entire family in the fun, easy, environmentally friendly activities.

Rate and Discover Movies