4.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore Horrorheads Should See this Sh . . . Schtuff
Horror films should horrify. Ghost House's Offspring succeeds in doing so.

Published on February 28, 2012 by Grelber37

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for direct to DVD
Since I am a fan of Jack Ketchum's novels and this was one of my favorites I had to see it (although I have no interest in seeing his other film adaptions).

Published on October 25, 2009 by A

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for direct to DVD, October 25, 2009
A "jeangarydiablo" (Sherman Oaks, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Offspring (DVD)

It's direct to DVD and I knew what to expect. I wasn't that disappointed, mostly because the running time is short and it has some ok production design. The location scout deserves most of the credit in this movie and it was filmed in the US (I have a thing about runaway film productions, they should be labeled as "foreign films")

This film had so much potential but is extremely lackluster. Who thought crazy, cannibal kids could be so trite? The costumes, wigs, and makeup effects look like leftovers from the bargain bin at a Halloween store a week after October 31. This alone could have saved it even from the poor acting performances (which could have been saved through editing).

I have to admit it was nice not to be bombarded with bad CGI for once.

I gave two stars for effort, the location captures the setting in the book, short running time, and being filmed in the US. You won't loose any sleep if you don't see it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore Horrorheads Should See this Sh . . . Schtuff, February 28, 2012
Grelber37 (Wisconsin USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Offspring (DVD)
Horror films should horrify. Ghost House's Offspring succeeds in doing so.

Not every horror film need be heavy stuff. Sometimes, a genre fan appreciates subtlety. But, sometimes, a habitual horror viewer wants something original, and he further wants that original thing to go somewhere unsafe such as The Devil's Rejects or The Exorcist does. Offspring is art that dares depart the grid. Offspring shocks its audience, and the film takes huge risks. For example, child characters both kill and die graphically on-camera in this film. A movie-watcher does not see that cinematic taboo broken often. And, Offspring offers plenty more extreme horror.

Furthermore, Offspring does something that not every genre piece does. Not every direct-to-video work does this. Offspring takes the time and care to create sympathetic characters. A viewer is much more sickened and horrified for seeing likeable characters tormented. These victims are not especially stereotypes, and most do not deserve their fate. Compliments to the film-makers.

Potential buyers should know also that Offspring originates from a Jack Ketchum novel. So if you like Ketchum, you should like Ghost House's Offspring.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rated Horror, December 31, 2011
This review is from: Offspring (Amazon Instant Video)
If you like horror films and don't mind being grossed out, then this movie is for you. Another great work from Jack Ketchum, who Stephen King has quoted as saying "Who's the scariest guy in America? Probably Jack Ketchum." I saw the "Girl Next Door," which is another work of Mr. Ketchum's. The movie was based on true events in 1965 in the state of Indiana.
This movie, "The Offspring" is very graphic, disturbing and by no manes for the weak stomach. I have seen a lot of horror films over the years and this ranks right up there with the more disturbing films, including "The Human Centipede" sequence 1 & 2.
Overall I give the movie an A, an absolute scarey & disturbing movie [one of the top ten best horror films I have seen within the last year]

2.0 out of 5 stars CHILDREN OF THE CORNY, October 17, 2009
This review is from: Offspring (DVD)
The Offspring is one of those movies that's so awful you have to stare at the screen and keep watching to see if it can get any worse. It does. Cannibalistic, feral children whose idea of show and tell is disembowelment-and a simple disembowelment is a slow night to these kids. They grunt, stab, grunt, mutilate, grunt,and the quickly passed over reason for their existence is that they are the offspring of the children of a lighthouse keeper gone missing off the coast of Maine in the 19th century. I gave this movie two stars because despite the lousy plot, lousy script, lousy acting--the cannibal kids can't even grunt convincingly, the movie is so fascinatingly bad that everyone should watch it to see just how bad a movie can be. Oh scratch that thought----don't watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Movie Review! -[...], February 24, 2013
Todd Smith (East Rockaway, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Offspring (Amazon Instant Video)
This is one movie that is not for the faint of heart. It is a creepy, twisted, blood bath, that holds absolutely nothing back...and that's what makes it awesome! From the creators of the Evil Dead trilogy, and the masters of the modern horror movie, Ghost House Underground. Offspring is everything you could want in a horror movie. Not just blood and gore, but a truly scary story. This movie has it all and I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it! Fans of horror and gore get this movie!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun fun funny!!!, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Offspring (Amazon Instant Video)
this movie is just plain stupid fun to watch. it also has my favorite horror actress, Pollyanna McIntosh, how can you not love that filthy, stinky, ferociously beautiful, flesh eating, amazon. she turns every horror film I see her in into horror gold.don't miss this one boys you're gonna love her too!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Why couldn't I fall deep in love with this!? After all, it is a cannibal flick., January 20, 2010
This review is from: Offspring (DVD)
I don't know Jack Ketchum's novels so I really can't judge this movie from its novel. So with that being said, here goes. 'Offspring' isn't the worst Horror I've seen at all, and I've seen plenty of stinkers over the years. It has its moments; the good is mainly the gore and the bad is low tension and suspense. I would of loved to have given this a five star rating since I'm a fan of cannibal flicks, but it had too much goofiness (mainly the look of the cannibals), in a film that tries to play out a serious vibe. I loved the musical score which reminded me of the same sounds that can be heard from many 70's grindhouse pictures!

Although, the special effects are great and the acting is fair, 'Offspring' lost me with its cannibals. The reason why that is is because I find it hard to picture cannibals looking and behaving like cavemen in modern day America. There are more flaws that connect to this but it is this one that really gets to me. haha. Again, I'm unaware of the novel but for this film, I'm thinking these nomadic cannibals should of had a much more modern approach. Pretty much the same image of what Near Dark did to vampires should of been done with these cannibals! Wait, buy doing that, it would of been an entirely different flick. I don't know; I'm confused. haha. The flick also lacked in scenery. I would of loved to have seen more of the forest and coastline. Little background was shot. However, the ending is great! I loved the ending! To me the ending is the reward besides seeing some splatter action. All and all, not a bad flick that I wouldn't mind watching again later on. Oh, and I love the cover art for this flick!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ketchum delivers, April 21, 2010
This review is from: Offspring (DVD)
It's not perfect but they really left all the gore from the book in, and that is no small feat in the current climate of PG-13 teenie bopper horror movies that are out there. My only complaints are that the movie has a somewhat pedestrian style of direction, the film stock could have looked a bit grittier, and the feral kids look too clean, sort of like the kids from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
Having said that, this movie still really delivers the horror. The lead female cannibal is one of the most vicious and intimidating women that I've ever seen on film. She would bite off Ripley's head from Aliens. Men, women and children are all slaughtered without remorse. The pacing moves right along, with the whole story taking place in just a few days.
If you liked The Hills Have Eyes you'll like this. A great late night with beer movie!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 6, 2009
This review is from: Offspring [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Pulp/horror writer Jack Ketchum adapts his own novel for Offspring, an interesting entry of sorts in this year's Ghost House Underground lineup. Offspring the novel, was actually a sequel to Off Season, which would have been a more logical adaptation in the first place, but nevermind that for now. Anyway, there's a clan of cannibal kids terrorizing the community, and seeking a fresh baby as well. Hounding them is a retired cop (Art Hindle) while everyone else involved gets chomped, slaughtered, and gutted; and the film makes no apologies for its tone and unsettling gore. Still though, besides some decent gore effects, Offspring features some atrocious acting from pretty much everyone involved (the cannibals in particular are so bad you can't help but laugh), and Ketchum's own screenplay doesn't help matters here either, and ends up being a shell of its source material. All in all, Offspring is worth a look just based on its disturbed content alone, but in the end, this Ketchum adaptation is a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good horror film, October 14, 2009
Pegleg (North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Offspring (DVD)
My wife and I really enjoyed this film. I'm surprised at the negative reviews since this is one of the best, if not the best, film made from a Ketchum novel. Or by anyone else. Definitely in the year's 10 best for horror. The cannibals (feral humans) are very well acted and portrayed, and the violence is approprite and not really over-the-top. And when a policeman keeps a straight face as he says "this used to be a nice guy" while looking at a pile of gore, well, it could have been "camped" to death, but wasn't.

There is really a lot of junk out there, masquerading as "art". This film is just a plain, good horror film, with no further pretensions.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Offspring
Offspring by Andrew van den Houten (DVD - 2009)
$14.98 $8.13