5.0 out of 5 stars Oggi fit my requirement
Published on April 1, 2012 by Grandpa Flatlander

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Design
Published on September 28, 2012 by Poogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Oggi fit my requirement, April 1, 2012
This review is from: Oggi Countertop Compost Pail with Charcoal Filter, Made from Bamboo Fiber (Kitchen)
The Oggi countertop compost pail is the perfect size to replace the cut off gallon milk jug/s that my wife and I used for many years. One review commented the color did not match the photo on the internet and I agree. The product is more yellow than cream shown on the Amazon and other photos, but the yellow turned out better for me because it matched the tile in our kitchen. The pail empties and washes out easily. The lid and filter has eliminated the odor we had at times from the milk jug and the algae growth we got on the hard to clean jug. My wife wanted a heavy crock pail, but after she agreed to go with my choice, even she is happy that this one is just the right weight and less danger to break than crock. The stainless steel handle is great quality. The lid fit perfectly and is easy to lift off with the lid knob with no hand required to secure the base on mine despite another review that said the lid fit too tight. I could not find the Oggi or a similar product availabe in any of the Wichita, KS stores. The Oggi was shown as available at Target, but our Target Stores did not carry them in stock and recommended I try to order from the Target internet. I trust Amazon so went there to order. I have used it 30 days and recommended this product to my friends. At standard mailing the product was delivered in two days. Darrel

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Design, September 28, 2012
First, since many reviewers have commented on the difference in color between what they received and the color in the picture, mine looks very much like the one in the picture. So I don't know what people are talking about. It's cream colored with a slight yellow tinge. It's not bright yellow by any stretch of the imagination, and it's not noticeable, for better or worse, in my kitchen.

The capacity works well for me. I have to empty it every three or four days, but no matter how long it sits on the counter I don't smell it. I line it with recycled plastic bags from the supermarket, usually the ones I use to hold produce, which I fold over the sides. Of course, if you don't want to be able to see any bag over the lip of the container, you can put the waste directly into the pail, but then you'll have to carry the whole pail to wherever you dump your compost. I prefer to just carry the bag. You'll have to wash it out often even if you use a bag, since the waste will produce a stinky liquid that will seep through the bags. I know that special pail-liners are available, but I haven't tried them; maybe they prevent the seepage.

My previous compost pail was very similar in design, except it was made from ceramic. After about two years the lid began to crack, and soon disintegrated. This one, being made from compressed bamboo fiber, seems like it'll last quite a while. Also, it's light.

There's one design problem, however, and it's significant. The lid has holes to allow air circulation, and has a filter to prevent fruit flies from going through those holes and swarming. The filter is held in the lid by a ring that's held in place with three tiny screws. When mine arrived, the screws weren't screwed into the lid properly, so the ring fell off. Screwing the screws properly in place so that they don't keep falling out isn't as easy as it might seem, because the screws have to fit into a tiny hole that you can't see. I got it to stay put, but only for a while; then the screws came out again and again--which happens without human intervention--and the ring falls off, and the fruit flies attack. Without the retaining ring in place, there's no way to keep the filter in, and without a filter, believe me the pail is almost useless because the fruit flies are all over it (at least in my warm climate). (One reviewer pointed out you can replace the filters without removing the ring. True, but irrelevant, since the poorly-designed ring falls off by itself.)

I eventually was forced to replace the screws that came with it with larger screws that stay in place, but stick out from the bottom of the lid by 1/2 inch. So I hope they redesign the way the retaining ring attaches, since this is otherwise a nice product.

4.0 out of 5 stars sturdy but color off, December 28, 2011
Good construction and size, keeps odor under control, but the color was very different from the picture in the listing. The picture looks cream colored with a greyish top, but the actual item was a light butter yellow. It works fine with my kitchen, but not what I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and functional., October 26, 2011
Jezzi (SW Nebraksa) - See all my reviews
Lid seals very well, cannot pull it off without holding onto the bottom, better than attracting fruit flies! Comes with 2 extra filters. Based on price and quality I am happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior to other compost pails on the market but not a perfect product, May 13, 2012
I bought this to replace my supposedly 'stainless steel' Eddington's pail, which rusted and then had a cracked lid. I've had this new one for about two months now and feel that enough time has passed to write a balanced review.

This pail is the same size and shape as the Eddington's kind, and has the same double carbon filter system in the lid - both very much in its favour. Being made of bamboo fibre, I'm sure it won't rust and my early concerns about the fibre absorbing smells have proven unfounded. The pale straw-yellow colour is pleasant and goes with the other natural materials in my kitchen. On the downside, it feels a bit more fragile than metal does and I worry about what would happen if it fell off the counter. Also the lid doesn't fit as tightly as on the metal pail I had; so far this this hasn't proved to be a problem but it is May as I write this and smell may prove a problem in the warmer summer months. That said we've had some very warm days and there wasn't a problem - so far, so good.

All in all I would recommend this over any other compost pail out there, on account of the non-rusting material and the double-filter system in the lid which really does lead to a zero-odour experience when used in conjunction with a biodegradable liner. The value for money proposition for this product is very good, and if the lid fit better, it would be a perfect product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful - serious design flaw, December 2, 2012
There are 3 tiny screws that hold the 2 piece lid together and contain the charcoal filter. Those screws are either not long enough, not strong enough, or the screw holes are stripped or something. These screws (all 3 of them) fell out just after my warranty (return period). Now I'm using duct tape to hold everything together. It's an ugly solution so I caution you to avoid this product until the design flaw has been fixed.

I saw another post where the buyer had the same problem (I saw the post after I bought). Beware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but fragile, March 19, 2013
gadgetman (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Note that this is bamboo fiber--meaning sawdust--not strips. It's essentially a much-improved version of particleboard or MDF. We've had ours less than three months, but a large crack has opened up down one side, and another is starting. We haven't banged it against anything or dropped it, but the stiffness of the bucket seems to be a problem. I've written to see if I can get a replacement; since there have been previous comments about color and loose screws, perhaps the durability also varies from piece to piece. If I get a replacement and it holds up, I'll be back to add more stars---because the size, the stainless steel handle and the filter (works wonderfully--never had one before!) are all great. So for now: good luck but beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Smell At All, April 10, 2012
Very happy with this compost pail. It looks good enough on the kitchen counter and does not have any smell. Only problem is that it doesn't walk itself out to the compost bin and empty itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product with a Poor Design, July 29, 2012
The images on Amazon do not show this but there is a ring inside the lid w/3 screws that you unscrew to change the carbon filter. The screws are too short to handle & the holes stripped the 2nd time I used them. There is no need for screws. This product would be perfect if the ring itself screwed into the cover or clicked in somehow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Major design flaw., November 8, 2013
As Poogy and J. Richards mentioned, it works well until the screws fail and the ring holding in the filter no longer connects. Pretty useless without that.