5.0 out of 5 stars "The atrocities I've seen."
Published on October 27, 2010 by E. Bukowsky

3.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, it was a little mean
Published on December 9, 2010 by AmbersFinder

5.0 out of 5 stars "The atrocities I've seen.", October 27, 2010
If you hate politically incorrect humor, do not read Clinton Kelly's "Oh No, She Didn't." It will infuriate you and, if you regularly commit "the top 100 style mistakes" that Kelly derides, you may find yourself wincing and/or rushing home to change. However, if you don't care that much about your appearance, always look great, or really want to know what Kelly thinks, you can relax and approach this book as the riotous spoof that, on some level, it is meant to be. Not knowing Mr. Kelly through his reality television show, "What Not to Wear," I cannot be sure that he is not a mean-spirited cur. However, I do know that "Oh No, She Didn't" reduced me and a colleague to fits of helpless laughter.

Complete with full-color portraits of ladies wearing less than flattering undergarments and unwisely baring their assets, flip-flops being immolated (I hate flip-flops), someone blithely hailing a cab wearing what appears to be her pajamas, hirsute legs with panty hose, and other scary sights, "Oh No, She Didn't" is a photo album for non-fashionistas. Who cares that Kelly thinks calf-length skirts pigeonhole you as belonging to a "religious cult"; that tent dresses resemble "two curtains sewn together at the top and sides, with holes for the arms and head"; that turtlenecks choke you and generally make you look short and squat; and that frosting is for cake, not hair? No one can stop you from wearing t-shirts with silly logos, horizontal stripes (even though you have a bit of a paunch), or cross-trainers if you feel like it. We live in America, after all, land of the free and home of the brazen.

Some will say that Clinton Kelly is mean, profane, opinionated, intolerant, and sarcastic, and they would be absolutely justified in their assessment. Whatever you think of Kelly as a human being and regardless of your opinions about his style tips, you may get a kick out of the wildly irreverent "Oh No, She Didn't."

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud Funny, October 8, 2010
Anyone who has seen TLC's "What Not To Wear" knows what to expect from Clinton--acerbic comments about the "before" wardrobe and a take-no-prisoners approach to the creation of the new wardrobe, all done with affection. This book, which chronicles the 100 top fashion mistakes women make, is in the same vein.
Now, if you're reading this book, you probably care about what you wear and how you present yourself, so hopefully you won't find that you are making too many of these mistakes! But in any case, Clinton gives valuable fashion tips, tailoring advice, and even make-up tips courtesy of Carmindy, the show's makeup artist. These are interspersed with comic takedowns of women who wear PJs to the supermarket (written as a screenplay), women who wear flip-flops outside the beach or pool setting, the dress that looks like a dish towel, and scary nail polish colors. So even if you find yourself being skewered for wearing that Disney World Minnie Mouse t-shirt, you'll be laughing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, it was a little mean, December 9, 2010
I am sure that the snarky tone of the writing in this book was meant to be humorous, but because it is so unrelenting it just seems mean. I can only guess there are two audiences for this book: those who dress badly and want to be made to feel bad about themselves and those who dress stylishly and want to make fun of others. Many of the faux pas styles mentioned in the book I agree with and some I think he is wrong about, but they all seem to be delievered with the message that if you break the rules you are not a worthwhile human being. Here is a list of things he doesn't like:

the color pink
the color black
the color white
the color beige
a white shirt with a black pair of pants
solid colors of various colors worn on consecutive days
colored suits
rainbow mother rings bought at the mall
earings that match necklaces
You get the idea.

All of the people who wear these things get the same scathing treatment that he gives to those who wear visible thongs.

1.0 out of 5 stars crude, rude, and snarky, December 2, 2010
I like(d) Clinton in "What Not to Wear," but if this book is a reflection of his true personality (and he's been doing book signings to promote it...), I am very disappointed. It's crude, mean, trash-talking (yes, I expected some given the title, but not of this ilk), and demeaning. It's as bad as judging a woman's personality by her weight -- he's judging someone's personality based on style, or lack thereof. So very, very shallow. He's not just pointing out things like "mom jeans" (sure, they're not great), but he's insulting the wearers of them personally. The name calling and snarky remarks are way out of line.

Lastly, I would definitely not recommend this to any young girls or teens - too crude.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money..., December 11, 2010
I'm a fan of Clinton Kelly. I love What Not to Wear, and I've enjoyed his previous books.

But this book is a big disappointment. If you've watched the show, or read Kelly's other books, you've heard it all before. And showing "worst dressed" photos is such a tired idea - magazines and websites run these features all the time.

The book is relentlessly negative. After reading it, I was left wondering "So, what CAN I wear??"

The deftly funny, upbeat and encouraging Clinton we've come to love cannot be found in this book. I hope he'll be back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh No HE didn't., November 18, 2010
Mr. Kelly. Kindness is a stylish thing to wear on a daily basis. This book is snarky and mean, while offering advice that is condescending and can be gleaned from nicer magazines or a quick google search. Beautiful people are nice whether they are fashionable or not. I know you meant to be funny, but you were instead offensive. I hope when you are old and in a non-fashionable senior citizen state, you have nurses that are kinder to you than you are to women now. For me, the most beautiful stylish people are the ones with the biggest hearts. Looking down on others is never stylish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh no, he didn't!, October 14, 2010
Wow. I received this book today hoping for more of the last book.

Sadly, I *was* a fan of Clinton's. Thought he dispensed good advice and had an interest in actually helping people.

Surprisingly, this book is unkind, snarky, catty and in such poor taste, I'm returning it.

It isn't the advice--that's fairly sound. Its just that he sounds so...well, *angry* about giving it to us. Each page was more and more cruel and more and more unkind.

I didn't feel like he was wanting to help me be a better, more fashion forward and style conscious me--I felt that he wanted to tell me how much more fabulous and great he was than the people with whom he interacts--or the people who like him.

Save your money and buy Tim Gunn's first book: Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)

Its much kinder and has better advice.

(If you're reading this CK, you could learn something from Mr. Gunn)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not TLC's Clinton Kelly, October 16, 2010
I was disappointed with the tone of the book if not it's message. I appreciate Kelly's work with TLC, but I apparently like that sanitized version of his opinions more than the unadulterated and unedited musings of this book. I found the book to be profane and unkind as well as littered with his unconcealed disdain for those who are not stylish.

His choices of what NOT to do are fine, but his explanations and comments are offensive and not that profound. I do not think it "stylish" to be unkind.

1.0 out of 5 stars Who are you, and where is the REAL Clinton???, December 9, 2010
Who the devil wrote this book?! And what have they done with the REAL Clinton?!
The Clinton I'm familiar with is affirming, inspiring, and all about encouraging women to love and embrace who they are.
Please tell me this is an impostor. Oh, how the mighty have fallen!
Clinton Kelly, you just lost one of your biggest fans.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mean spirited book, December 8, 2010
R. Roush (Boulder, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
I have never read a book more mean spirited than this book. The author speaks rudely and and unnecessarily harshly about anyone who breaks the rules he describes. The information is useful, but the manner in which it is delivered is unpleasant to read.

ARRAY(0x9763f2e8)