Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2006 3:28:04 PM PST
S. Kelley says:
In my never humble opinion.....Gump is one of the greatest movies ever made.

I LOVED it!!!!!

But, upon retrospection, I must also admit to the humanoids seeing this message that I also consider The Postman to be a great movie.

So many folks have lambasted The Postman that I have to question my own recommendations.

Of course, I have no friends and I dress funny and am a social outcast and will likely spend my retirement years under a bridge ensconsed within a large cardboard box but........

I still really like the Gump movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 12:22:12 AM PDT
Do U wear red boots, and eat goats? If so, then U are a troll........................

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 10:14:58 PM PDT
D. Harris says:
Movie is classic. Blu-ray is less than stellar. Nothing "Sapphire" about it. Disappointing like Gladiator.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 10:47:54 PM PDT
J. Miller says:
You need glasses or a better tv/bd player or both. The transfer is very nice and nothing like Gladiator.

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 11:08:04 PM PDT
D. Harris says:
I wish your statement was true. Braveheart looked very nice. Gump's transfer was mediocre. This is an average Blu-ray title. And I didn't say it looked like Gladiator. I stated it disappointed like Gladiator. Movies like this should be reference quality. This isn't. This is yet another example of Blu-ray hype and people not getting their money's worth.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 11:44:17 PM PST
J. Miller says:
Let's see, DVDBeaver gives it an excellent review for video, DVDtown gives it 9 out of 10 for video, and blu-ray.com gives it a 4.5 out of 5. You've got zero credibility on the subject and you shouldn't be trying pass off bad info to scare people off for whatever agenda you might have. Those 3 reviews are all from very credible sources who've been known to disagree. They not only don't disagree, but all 3 say this bd has a beautiful, nearly perfect HD transfer, which, in fact, is the truth...not hype. This makes 2 out of 3 Sapphire Series releases that have been close to perfect in every way. It's a shame about Gladiator, but Braveheart and Forrest Gump are tremendous blu-rays.

Posted on Nov 9, 2009 10:12:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2009 10:15:57 AM PST
D. Harris says:
POTC (all 3) are perfect HD transfers. This is average. And I don't have an agenda since I didn't buy the movie. I have seen it though. Had you see it prior to leaving your first comment? Do you work for Paramount? I never said the movie looked awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2009 9:59:33 PM PST
J. Miller says:
Getting a "C" on a paper is average. Gladiator was an average transfer of a film deserving a spectacular transfer...which explains the anger about that release. Your idea of reference quality maybe skewed. Up is reference quality. Braveheart and Forrest Gump sport great or, if you will, spectacular transfers. Where are you examples of anyone who's reviewed the actual BD and agrees with you. So, you either have an agenda, you have eye problems, you have a very bizarre idea about what makes something average or disappointing, or, my bet, all of the above. If I worked for Paramount, I'd be doing something better than continue to debate this issue with someone who is about as wrong as a person can be. It's not really even subjective, like is the movie a good one. The transfer is great...period.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2009 9:30:26 AM PST
D. Harris says:
Just bought a new plasma TV. So I decided to wait before replying to your reply. The movie does look better. But that's only because I have a better model television that can handle 24fps. And I can't see how you could compare animation to live action. You could lower the bitrate on Up and it would still look great. Sorry, dude. Not convinced with Forrest Gump. Maybe you've never seen Pirates of the Caribbean on blu-ray. Now, Braveheart doesn't look like POTC but it does trump Gump. People, trust me. Don't expect to be blown away if you purchase this. Sure it looks better than DVD. But that's not enough. This movie should be one of the best looking blu-ray releases ever.

Posted on Nov 13, 2009 3:28:58 PM PST
J. Miller says:
I'm still waiting for you to provide any review of the blu-ray that doesn't say that it looks spectacular or even very good. Sure, opinions vary slightly, everyone knows that. But this BD has not even received a single mediocre review. You just keep going on and on about POTC. Glad that you liked it, but Gump is considerably older and looks about as good as it could possibly look. Sorry the studios aren't making everything reference quality based on only your standards. Say Anything looks marvelous, but it's not perfect either. It looks as good as it possibly can. With so many other truly poor transfers, to try and pick apart Gump because it might have been possible to have made this transfer slightly better so that 1 person in 10,000 could have noticed the difference is downright lunacy. Regardless of whether you have a new plasma that can handle 24fps or not, this transfer is very worthy of the Sapphire title just like Braveheart. Maybe you could focus all this energy into something positive like the Gladiator transfer...you might get us all a replacement disc for that very disappointing transfer. Or I guess you could just always keep yourself happy by watching the Pirates trilogy over and over again.
"

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 3:02:17 PM PST
D. Harris says:
I didn't anticipate anyone getting so worked up over this. And my new TV even makes Gladiator look awesome so don't knock it. Especially when my other one made Gump look awful. I could care less what reviewers say. My movie collection is based off what titles I enjoyed most. There is nothing spectacular, earth-shattering, life-changing, mind-altering, or revolutionary about this transfer. I have over 140 Blu-ray movies. I could name about 20 or so that look better. I replaced a flickering 85U Panasonic TV. For the first time I'm seeing Blu-ray how it was intended to be seen. You know what,..maybe this movie's age does play a big part in how it looks. Maybe that gives POTC a leg up. Or even Benjamin Button or The Dark Knight. Let's not forget Star Trek '09. I'm comparing it to all my Blu-ray titles. Not just early and mid 90's films. Yes, they did an old movie justice. And Forrest Gump is one of the best movies made in the last 20 years. But the name "Sapphire" implies that these are the standard for Blu-ray. FOR MY PERSONAL TASTE, I would have been more lenient if it had not been a part of the "Sapphire Series". What's funny is how you've managed to turn this into a debate. I never advised anyone not to purchase it. Movie buffs will still buy regardless. So my question to you is,...do you seriously consider Forrest Gump a reference quality Blu-ray?!?! If so, you should add more films to your collection.

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 3:09:39 PM PST
D. Harris says:
I forgot to mention Transformers 2 ROTF (Wal-mart's special edition) and the third Spiderman. Dude, I could name a few more if you want me to.

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 10:36:13 PM PST
J. Miller says:
I'm still waiting for you to stop listing movies that you consider reference quality and post any review that describes the FG transfer as anything other than very, very good. I wouldn't watch Transformers 2 if it was acted out for me in my living room. So your eyes and taste in films are both questionable. Spidey 3 was pretty bad too, but "oh my" you loved the transfer. Most people judge BD transfers based on many different factors including the age of the film, how it was shot, how it originally looked, etc. Some people LOVE no grain and don't mind DNR. Some hate DNR and like the grain. If you factor in the look of the film and the age of the film. Forrest Gump has incredible detail in its HD transfer, great use of colors, natural grain, and great black levels. Reference quality is a term for the show room, but the fact is this is a 15 year old film and they GOT IT RIGHT. Paramount should be applauded for this impressive transfer and no one should come here and potentially think this is nothing less than exactly what they should want and expect from a Blu. Maybe you should just watch really bad movies that have were filmed to look great and sound great in HD, but suck as films. You could start your own Sapphire brand. Forrest Gump and Braveheart truly do deserve the special name that the line implies.

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 6:03:20 PM PST
J. Miller says:
Oh look, another 4.5 out 5 rating from dvdtalk.com for picture quality. "Presented in 2.35:1 1080p high definition using the AVC MPEG-4 codec, Paramount gives Forrest Gump an excellent video treatment. Image detail is revelatory in the feature; you can view the sunsets of fictional Greenbow, Alabama as clear as can be. In the shot where a young Forrest breaks free of the braces and runs across a small bridge, you can briefly see a double image of him, which, although probably a mistake, provides evidence of the Blu-ray's visual acuity.. Image detail is abundant, background depth and clarity is outstanding, black levels are exceptional for a film of this age, and skin tones are reproduced accurately and to great care, making you feel like you're watching a better film than the version you saw in 1994."

Your infamous quote: "Disappointing LIKE Gladiator."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2009 6:46:21 PM PST
E. Danao says:
Actually, you could see the "double image" of Forrest running in the vhs and dvd versions. Now, I'm just splitting hairs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Forrest Gump
Forrest Gump by Winston Groom (Audio Cassette - January 1, 2001)