Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

on January 24, 2010
After oil pulling with coconut oil first thing in the morning for 6 weeks(but I also brush and floss) my dental hygienist was flabbergasted at how my mouth and teeth had improved. No plaque and my teeth color did not deteriorate since my last visit. My teeth coloring was one major problem I have always had-extra work to whiten but made the dentist richer. Since beginning oil pulling, I only have to go every 6 months instead of 4 months. In the future I will probably go yearly instead now that my mouth is great. Since I will not have dental insurance for long, this little book has become a marvelous money saver too. I have always enjoyed history and Dr. Fife's clear writing of the connection between oral hygiene and the onset of many illnesses is illuminating, and just plain fun!
As an extra aside, I bit my tongue (ouch!!) which needed 2 stitches (ouch ouch!!). I Oil Pulled several times a day which soothed the injury. I do not know if my injured tongue healed more quickly with oil pulling but it is good as new.
I also oil pull with coconut oil for a few minutes only after having a good cigar. No matter how 'good' my cigars are, my mouth has a little tingle afterwards. The oil pull soothes my mouth.
UPDATE: 4/19/2011. I just came back from my dental exam. It turns out my gums have 'grown' back around 2 of my teeth. Once a year, my gums get measured for any gum receding(recession?). Most of my mouth has a 2 or 3 rating which is good. Apparently there were 2 spots though that had a 4 rating from last year. These spots all improved to a 3!!. I asked how that is possible and was informed that keeping the mouth extra clean along with flossing created the environment for my gums to thrive. To me, these numbers are evidence that oil pulling does the trick. By the by, I continue to not have any plaque. Again, I attribute oil pulling as the major factor. I used to brush and floss x2/day but still had moderate plaque. Believe it!!!
Jan 6, 012: It has been 8 1/2 months since my last general exam. My hygienist asked how I liked my electric toothbrush. I told her I only use a manual. She looked at me surprised. She said my teeth and gums look like I use the electric because they are so clean. She also noticed that teeth were not stained since I did not smoke many cigars this year which was true due to horrible hot summer. She cleaned and polished them and after the dentist looked I went on my way. Oil pulling continues to improve my mouth!!!
Feb 4, 2014: Hello there!... I''m back with an update. I have returned to my dentist after one full year due to sudden tooth pain. I continue to oil pull every morning for 20 minutes and brush and floss x2/day. A full exam was done but exam was quick. No plaque and gums are good. Dentist has this new spray that cleans teeth instead of usual cleaning method. Hygienist says I brush very good including in the back. This I attribute to my oil pulling in the back of the mouth. very easy. there has been some pain in the back . X-rays taken. No infection of nerve damage so dentist recd I return in 6 months as a preventative...I agreed. best to spend a few bucks to be safe but will concentrate oil pulling in the painful region in case germs are hiding. Take care everyone.
Sept 3, 2014. Time flies!. No plaque except way in the back of my mouth where it is hard to brush but not as bad as before. no plaque elsewhere. painful tooth continues but using special toothpaste. Just have to live w it. My dentist has the same problem. Gums still growing in some new areas. Take care.
Jan 4, 2016. Happy New Year. Was talking with a friend and she just happened to thank me for introducing her to Oil Pulling w coconut oil from about 2 years ago. She said her plaque has been reduced, her teeth are whiter and her teeth "deep pockets" have disappeared. Her dentist is amazed. Not too shabby, huh folks?
2727 comments|507 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2009
I read this book and began oil-pulling about 2 months ago. Since then I have reversed documented nerve damaged and avoided my 5th back surgery. My arthritis in my knees is much better. I have lost weight and my cellulite is going away. My teeth are whiter, my gum tighter. I feel more energetic, happier and optimistic than I have in years allowing me to get off some prescription meds. This is a program that is completely "no harm - no foul"! Over the years I have spent thousands of dollars chasing health and relief of 10 years of chronic pain. This program costs maybe 25¢ a day and a minimum of 20 minutes. I am blown away. I have shared this book with my dentist, doctors, surgeon, friends and family. Everyone sees some change - some faster some slower. I have noticed the more you pull the more changes you see. This book is a must for those who seek health!!!!
1111 comments|530 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 7, 2011
Here is a safe and very easy way to vastly improve your health without special pills or diets. All it requires is swishing a spoonful of vegetable oil around your mouth for at least 15 minutes at a time.

Many scientific studies have chronicled a link between chronic illness and the health of our mouths (the book references over 150 such studies). Think about it; our mouths are constantly warm and moist, like a tropical rain forest, which is a great breeding ground for germs. They are also open to the outside, so it is very easy for bacteria to enter our mouths and take up residence. From there, the bacteria can enter the bloodstream and travel to any part of the body. There it can cause anything from arthritis to constipation to eczema to hypertension to sinusitis (all of which have been reported as responding to oil pulling).

What do you do? Take a tablespoon of nearly any vegetable oil (the author recommends coconut oil) and swish it around your mouth for several minutes, then spit it out. That's all. Teeth are very porous, full of tiny tubules where the bacteria can hide. Brushing, flossing or mouthwash will not clean out those tubules; oil pulling will. This is not a cure for whatever ails you. Oil pulling simply removes the infection from your mouth so that your body's natural healing properties can do their job.

This is totally safe for children and pregnant women, as the only ingredient is vegetable oil. It can also be done several times a day, if necessary. If you experience side effects, like coughing up mucus, or the sudden onset of what feels like the flu, don't worry about it; it's your body cleaning itself out. Also, don't worry if you don't see any immediate improvement in your health; some people simply heal faster than others. Also, after you are done swishing, do not swallow; spit it out. You don't want to remove the bacteria from your mouth, just to deposit it in your stomach.

Improving your health is not supposed to be this easy. This book is very easy to read for anyone, and is very highly recommended.
33 comments|253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2008
Reading this book has convinced me that Oil Pulling is a valid therapy to detox the body and especially if there are issues with the mouth, teeth and gums. I started doing this about a month ago and my arthritis pain is much, much less, my teeth are much whiter (mine have always been a yellow color which made me not want to smile much). I've noticed some changes in and around the stomach area and seem to be digesting foods much better. I've been using Sesame Seed oil which seems to work well. I do it when showering in the morning.

The best thing about the web sites are that no one is trying to sell you anything and it is very inexpensive considering what other supplements cost.

Dr. Fife recommends coconut oil (he wrote many books on coconut oil), others say any oil will do, and the original people recommended Sunflower or Sesame Seed oil, so take your pick. All I know is that I feel better and have much less joint aches and pains.
1010 comments|324 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2009
Who ever heard of such a thing? Let alone believe it works? My health food store recommended this process and they had just rec'd a shipment of the books. I bought the book and started oil pulling that day. Results were immediate! Incredible! Unbelievable! So Grateful to find something that works! I've had severe problems with dental/jawbone infection and oral pathogens due to root canals; toxicity issues due to crowns with heavy metals (I had tested at a metals laboratory), etc. I've struggled to heal after multiple jawbone surgeries; oil pulling is removing the bacteria and toxins from my system, allowing my body's energy resources to heal me instead of constantly fighting infection and toxins! I realize this sounds too good to be true, it isn't. I prefer to use only the healthy oils: coconut or olive oil. Multi-tasking makes the process go quickly. This is the least expensive therapy with the most significant results I've ever encountered. Try it, I think you'll be pleased.
1010 comments|288 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2014
Oil Pulling Therapy is swishing some oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes daily. Now somebody is going to say that that is the whole book and it's a waste of money. Well, they're wrong. Bruce Fife, the author, covers a lot of background material that does indeed relate to this practice and why he feels that this book is perhaps the most important medical treatise you will ever read. Using coconut oil to perform this simple task cleanses the mouth and body of bacteria, viruses, protazoans, and toxins like pesticides, mercury, and heavy metals. This takes a huge burden off the immune system, freeing up the body to heal itself. This takes time but it is a powerful practice for promoting good health. It is safe...because it is a technique borrowed from Ayervedic medicine and has been practiced in India for thousands of years.
I am using this technique and can assure you that it is quite doable. Of course you spit out the bacteria and toxin laden oil, you don't swallow it. I take a little of the coconut oil every day as a nutritional supplement...but that is after doing the oil rinse. Much of the book is common sense, but about things we rarely, if ever, think about. For instance you will learn in great detail about the wide range of microscopic beasties that live in your mouth. Since modern medicine is learning that all disease starts in the mouth this is critically important information. Even more critical for those who have dental work like fillings, crowns, root canals, and empty sockets where teeth were pulled. Extremely critical if you still have mercury amalgam fillings in your mouth.
I hope by now you get the point that there is a lot more to Fife's book than just swishing oil around in your mouth. This important book is well worth the money. It is an interesting read and it could change your life. I have strongly recommended it to people I care about and I strongly recommend it to you. Learn about this powerful technique for cleansing and detoxifying your mouth and body. I believe you will be glad that you did. Best wishes!
on October 15, 2011
I am a Dental Hygienist researching and writing a paper on oil pulling and found many studies to back its validity. Oil pulling is a tool to help remove bacteria from the oral cavity. Tooth brushing is also a tool that removes bacterial biofilm from the oral cavity. I believe that anything that is useful in removing bacterial biofilm should be welcomed positively by the dental community. Bacterial biofilm is the cause of so many negative dental conditions such as caries (cavities) and halitosis. The mouth is the window to your health and theoretically oil pulling could have positive effects to one's general health status. It's simple... Remove bacteria....Remove problems associated with bacteria. I've included links below to scientifically bound studies relating to the effectiveness of oil pulling:

Effect of oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva using Dentocult SM Strip mutans test: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study.
[...]

Effect of oil pulling on plaque induced gingivitis: a randomized, controlled, triple-blind study.
[...]

I have been oil pulling myself and have noticed positive improvements.
0Comment|205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2015
I have purchased multiple copies of this book and shared it with family and friends. I have now been oil pulling every day for over 1 year. This has definitely made a difference for me. Key things that went away immediately were bad breath and mouth pain. Then after a month I noticed that my teeth had been "whitened" from doing this (positive side effect). Then I started to notice that my joints don't creak any more. I highly suggest if you read this the following:

- Chapter 1 will really make you want to start, chapter 5 tells you all the lovely medical benefits, but it is not till chapter 6 that they tell you how to do it. If after chapter 1 you want to start doing it, check out chapter 6.
- start out with a small amount of oil, say 2 teaspoons and melt it in the microwave first if you have a problem with textures. I still melt my oil before putting it in my mouth today.
- the book says 20 minutes. work up to it by doing 5 minutes and increasing till you can get to 20. I also find things to do while I am doing the pulling (such as dishes, feeding the pets, etc.)
- You may not be able to get to the 3 tablespoons he talks about. I haven't. I do about 1.5 tablespoons even now, a year later

Enjoy and dont' be afraid to share the book. Coconut oil is relatively inexpensive. When you buy your coconut oil, try small jars first as some do have a "aftertaste" but the majority do not. Find the one you like using best. When I travel I go to a local grocery store and pick up LuAnn as they always have it, and it has no aftertaste. At home I have larger containers of oil as I use it for pulling, ingesting, body and facial scrubs, and a hair moisturizer.
on June 21, 2013
This therapy is worth a try. You have got to do it for at least a few weeks, oil pulling at least one half hour or more (total) every day. I have a significantly reduced abscess, improved Blood Pressure and have to give this process the credit.

The dentist repaired a chipped tooth, but it never felt good and glands below became tender. Pain and 3 months later, Dentist says root canal, I prefer extraction. I start pulling to save the tooth.

1 week later, swelling down, pain subsided. I pull on rising before eating or drinking coffee. 15 minutes is a gag, so I do two 5-7 minute pulls and a number of 3-5 minute pulls during the day, BEFORE meals and always before bed. Total is about 40 minutes of pulling per day. If you are like me, just give up on 15-20 minute pulls and just do more frequent, shorter pulls.

Complications? Coughing up ugly phlegm and a cough associated with the phlegm. No cold during this time, no other symptoms. Max pull was 2-3 minutes at first, then got past gag reflex to get to the 5 minute mark after 1 week into pulling therapy.

After 5 weeks, tooth feels much better today (I can actually chew there, but I don't) the swelling is down to a small bump and facial disfigurement is gone - I can lose the beard.

Hypertension?
I have modestly elevated BP. 1 year ago, after a course in antibiotics, my Systolic BP dropped some 30 points. After two weeks of pulling, average BP was down to 115-125/70-80 range vs a prior 140-150/70-80 range. No changes in diet.

The same tooth had cracked years BEFORE the BP rose. If Fife is right and your mouth is a source of germs/parasites/virus colonies, the cracked tooth provided a bloodstream entry, possibly resulting in a kidney infection. Kidneys control BP.

Fife says pulling cuts oral population of germs, reducing the load on the immune system. If so, this might explain the improvement in my BP, as the kidneys would have been laboring under an infection, and also might explain why the antibiotics caused the drop in BP. Pursuing this logic, I have recently added a garlic (bulb) supplement, as it has modest anti-microbial benefits. I also take CoQ-10, Astaxanthin, magnesium (~600mg) and an ALA/ALCAR supplement, but have been taking these for a couple years.

All in all, I am surprised that oil pulling has been beneficial and believe that anyone suffering from any disease should give this a try. Small $ and time investment and results within a couple weeks. I strongly endorse this book and the oil pulling procedure.
33 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2009
I got this book after a week of Oil Pulling. I had such success with OP in the first week, I wanted to find out how it worked. First off, my teeth became much whiter, I am sleeping better, my digestion has improved greatly, my dry skin is suddenly soft all within one week of Oil Pulling. It's hard to believe. It is so simple and cheap to do. This book talks about theories of the how's of OP and many studies that relate. Who knew your oral health had so much to do with your whole body health?

____________
I wanted to post an update to this review. It is now 2015 and I am still oil pulling. I have recommended oil pulling to many friends/clients. One of my clients told me that oil pulling got rid of his gout. And when he doesn't oil pull, the gout comes back. After a few years of oil pulling his dentist was so surprised at the difference in his teeth (no more plaque) that his dentist started selling coconut oil in his office to all of his clients so they, too, would oil pull. Pretty cool I think!

My favorite thing about oil pulling is how it pulls mucus down from your throat/sinuses. Sounds gross and kind of is, but I feel like it prevents colds from getting started. If I eat too much dairy, I end up with a lot of mucus and oil pulling with sunflower oil in the morning in the shower really gets the crud out. I love sunflower the best for this reason. The first signs of sickness and I am off to oil pull.
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse